BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-02-2019, 06:41 PM   #1
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1(M)other f*^#er of a car

toronto owners exhaust Ackrapovic request

I am local to the GTA and am looking for another 1m owner member with a slip on akrapovic system installed with their wireless kit.

I am considering upgrading my stock exhaust and would really appreciate a sound demo.

I have listen to the clips on YouTube but want an in person listen.

Please pm me

Also if you have a system for sale I would be interested.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 11:21 AM   #2
Alan1M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

What are you looking for with the exhaust? How loud do you want to go? I installed the Akra with the wireless kit in mine. It stays open 98% of the time and is not too loud at all. I might even recommend going without the wireless kit to start and add it later if needed. If you want quiet, just dial back your foot on the throttle.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 11:36 AM   #3
blackmist222777
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

I agree that its not as loud as i would have liked... but now in california, it kinda makes sense to have a semi quiet exhaust

2023 G80 M3
2020 F87 M2C
2011 E82 BMW 1M Series Coupe
Check me out at Point.Shift.Drive (YouTube)
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 12:17 PM   #4
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M VO

Garage List
I'm in Toronto but don't have Akra, I opted for Lightweight titanium exhaust instead.

I have heard the Akra slip-on on another 1M and the sound you see on youtube clips sounds basically the same..fairly accurate. It's raspy in the top end, bass-y in the low.

Personally, I don't like it—I do love their craftsmanship and quality but at the end of the day, it's the sound that matters.

Whereabouts are you? We should meet up sometime!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 02:46 PM   #5
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvinz View Post
I'm in Toronto but don't have Akra, I opted for Lightweight titanium exhaust instead.

I have heard the Akra slip-on on another 1M and the sound you see on youtube clips sounds basically the same..fairly accurate. It's raspy in the top end, bass-y in the low.

Personally, I don't like it—I do love their craftsmanship and quality but at the end of the day, it's the sound that matters.

Whereabouts are you? We should meet up sometime!
Arvinz didn't you buy a lightweight exhaust? Did you not install it or like it?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 06:05 AM   #6
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eiremon View Post
What are you looking for with the exhaust? How loud do you want to go? I installed the Akra with the wireless kit in mine. It stays open 98% of the time and is not too loud at all. I might even recommend going without the wireless kit to start and add it later if needed. If you want quiet, just dial back your foot on the throttle.
I want more sounds down low and hoping the ackropovic is the way to go.

I like the valve open mode can the valve be set up in the open position without the kit?

I would probably just get the kit as well

And a light tune like MHD
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 06:06 AM   #7
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eiremon View Post
Does this drone on the highway with the valve open?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 08:45 AM   #8
Alan1M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapter View Post
Does this drone on the highway with the valve open?
No - no drone at all with everything upstream stock. If you are not using the valve kit there is a blocking plate on the connector which needs to be removed. It's a relatively easy job and results in it being permanently open. The wireless kit is useful for the odd time you want to go incognito...
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 10:11 AM   #9
IZSL07L
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

I have Akrapovic evolution with ti downpipe which is 2.5" on mine, and like the guys said, it does not drone and is only really loud on cold start, once the engine warms up its just perfect in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 11:12 AM   #10
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

OP is smart to hear one in person. Exhausts are really subjective.

AKRA slip-on for me was perfect with windows down backseat folded down.
With windows closed, I prefer the Akra with my MadDad midpipe, but it is pretty loud.

Akra is loud when paired with a midpipe. If you would never add a mid-section, I don’t think you need the remote, if you might add a mid-section (Akra or other), I definitely recommend a remote.

Stock exhaust is too quiet on this car. Akra slip-on is a safe way to add a little sound and not overdue it.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 10:18 PM   #11
BadakVT
Enlisted Member
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 1M AW

I have the full turbo-back Akrapovic kit and it's too loud for me with the valve open. Drones as well with the decat DP and fully open valve. Too bad the valve is only open/closed and unlike Remus valve with 4 different opening settings.

I have also been having problems with the valve kit (mine is quite old), so recently I have taken off the valve and replaced it with the connecting pipe. But with the closed connecting pipe, it became too quiet. Finally I cut about 1/4 of the connecting pipe's blocking plate and now it sounds perfect.

As for the loud start up, definitely get MHD and use it to disable cold-start (catalytic warming).

In short, if not planning to get downpipes, just get the slip-on without the valve kit and completely take off the blocking plate on the connecting pipe.
If planning to get downpipes, either get the valve kit or just play around with opening the blocking plate until you get your preferred noise level.
Attached Images

04-05-2019, 03:55 PM   #12
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Hey bud, yep installed it a couple of years ago, love the thing, sounds incredible.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 04:20 PM   #13
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hey bud, yep installed it a couple of years ago, love the thing, sounds incredible.
Cool. If you get Alta let me know about lightweight. Maybe my Canadian 1M should get a Canadian lightweight. : )
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 06:27 PM   #14
IZSL07L
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Quote:
Cool. If you get Alta let me know about lightweight. Maybe my Canadian 1M should get a Canadian lightweight. : )
I've heard lightweight exhaust in person, it's more raspy than Akra, they are not too far apart in loudness. I like Akra better, it's better quality built box when you look at them side by side, and the tip is better design, definitely feel more premium.

Lightweight
https://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1100691

Akrapovic
https://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=633473
Appreciate 1
nachob2307.00
      10-20-2019, 10:08 PM   #15
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Arvinz, considering exhausts again. Did your lightweight exhaust fit well without modifying anything?

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 03:32 PM   #16
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Arvinz, considering exhausts again. Did your lightweight exhaust fit well without modifying anything?

Thank you.
nachob Installed perfectly, no modifying required. The only issue I ran into was pairing the exhaust with my Revozport diffuser; it was a tight fit and I had to use a spacer in between. If you the stock diffuser I think you're in the clear.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 10:10 PM   #17
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thank you.
nachob Installed perfectly, no modifying required. The only issue I ran into was pairing the exhaust with my Revozport diffuser; it was a tight fit and I had to use a spacer in between. If you the stock diffuser I think you're in the clear.
Thank you. Yours is Titanium, correct?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 10:19 AM   #18
balloonsalesman
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M BSM

Quote:
I've got the Lightweight Ti as well. It really is an amazing system.

I've got it paired to the maddad mid and cpe catted downpipes, its a great combination.

arvinz Are you running the Lightweight rear section only? Any other changes to the exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 10:51 AM   #19
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by balloonsalesman View Post
Quote:

I've got it paired to the maddad mid and cpe catted downpipes, its a great combination.

arvinz Are you running the Lightweight rear section only? Any other changes to the exhaust?
The titanium version is discontinued and only the stainless muffler version is left but there are no sound clips of it and no weight specs. Probably weighs same as stock. Assuming the stainless version sounds the same as titanium version there are no clips of it with just the rear muffler. The clips I can find include other catalytic converters or downpipes. I just want to see how it sounds all stock except for the muffler section. So this was a good question.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 12:45 PM   #20
GimmeanM
We've landed on the moon!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M (AW)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2018 Toyota Tacoma  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The titanium version is discontinued and only the stainless muffler version is left but there are no sound clips of it and no weight specs. Probably weighs same as stock. Assuming the stainless version sounds the same as titanium version there are no clips of it with just the rear muffler. The clips I can find include other catalytic converters or downpipes. I just want to see how it sounds all stock except for the muffler section. So this was a good question.
Stainless will have a very different sound compared to Ti. I have the HMS exhaust paired with their mid pipe (and stock DP's).

Titanium will give a much more high note and raspy sound, personally I think stainless sounds much better.

The HMS design is the same as the Akra design just stainless versus titanium:

10-23-2019, 09:41 AM   #21
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thank you. Yours is Titanium, correct?
Yep, got the titanium version, absolutely love it. While the craftsmanship isn't as fancy as the Akra, I preferred the sound. It's also ever so slightly lighter in general I believe.
Appreciate 1
nachob2307.00
      10-23-2019, 09:43 AM   #22
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Yep just the rear section. When I contacted LW, they suggested to not add the mid section as it would be too loud so I took their word for it. I'm running stock mids with AR catless downpipes. The sound is perfect for me. I don't believe they have it available any more on their site. I'd be curious to hear it with their mids and see what the difference is.
Appreciate 2