BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-08-2007, 06:01 PM   #23
blacknbean
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT

^^ thats awesome..looks real clean

but i would opt for the factory nav too. hopefully bmw tweaks the software a bit by the time the 1er is release..the biggest complaint i hear is that the software is slow and not intuitive
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2007, 06:10 PM   #24
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

The i-drive is a lot quicker than the earlier versions, and now it has the 6 programmable shortcut buttons I think it is a great system to use, you can get to what you want very quickly.
The way it all intergrates too, if it is the same as the 3er, is excellent. You can call the operator and ask for a restaurant locally and they will send the directions to your nav and connect you to the restaurant through the phone system, and in Germany they have launched a the Google Earth integration where you can click an address on your computer at home or in the office, bring it up on the map and email the details back to your car, get in your car get the email and sync it with the nav and add it to your address book, very nice!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2007, 09:14 PM   #25
murdoc158
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
You need to make sure you have the very basic system in your car if you want to fit aftermarket kit, other wise it starts to get tricky with the amp and the most bus system. If your car has the most bus system and you remove the radio you loose PDC, Bluetooth and the ability for the car to be programmed as the network connection is now broken.

I hate stuff stuck on the dash and was going to put the BMW system in, but as it is now a fairly old system I put this in....

I had to also add a cable from the battery to the unit for peramant 12v, but this is easy in the 1er, battery in the boot, so run the cable under the boot floor and then under the door sill trim, under the steering wheel trim and into the centre console.

However, if I get a 135i I will opt for the L7 sound again as it is awesome and add the factory Nav, just makes it more complete.
Wow nice install. Very clean. I don't have the balls to take a Dremel to a BMW dashboard.
      08-10-2007, 05:44 AM   #26
mateo
Addicted Member
Rep
Drives:

^^^ I agree. Nicely done!

-Mateo
      02-23-2008, 08:48 PM   #27
TwinturboBMW07
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
You need to make sure you have the very basic system in your car if you want to fit aftermarket kit, other wise it starts to get tricky with the amp and the most bus system. If your car has the most bus system and you remove the radio you loose PDC, Bluetooth and the ability for the car to be programmed as the network connection is now broken.

I hate stuff stuck on the dash and was going to put the BMW system in, but as it is now a fairly old system I put this in....

I had to also add a cable from the battery to the unit for peramant 12v, but this is easy in the 1er, battery in the boot, so run the cable under the boot floor and then under the door sill trim, under the steering wheel trim and into the centre console.

However, if I get a 135i I will opt for the L7 sound again as it is awesome and add the factory Nav, just makes it more complete.
Not to knock your quality install but I would recommend not using a screwdriver when taking trim pieces off because it can crack and break them the only reason I am critiquing your install is because I am professional car audio and video installer myself. And I wouldnt want to see someone else try and use a screwdriver after looking at your example and breaking a trim piece or scratching their dash.. But props on the install it looks pretty good personally myself i would rather just take out the factory radio and install an Pioneer AVIC Z-2 It has all the features of the IDrive plus more like voice controlled and many other cool features...
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2008, 10:00 PM   #28
kirkemon
Rep
Drives:

BMW did a deal with Garmin and is now selling the BMW Portable Nav. for $650. It's the Garmin, but has the BMW name on it and twice the price.
I have the $2,100 BMW Nav. on my 535i and it's nice but $$$!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2008, 01:28 PM   #29
srcstc
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9600baud View Post
I sure hope someone will come out with a Double-DIN dash kit for the 1er... I hate the popup navs and factory navs in general leave much to be desired. Not to mention I hate the "movement" locks where you cant input/do anything while the car is moving....

Anyone else going to go that route?:drinking:
Is there enough room for a double-din in an E82?
Has anyone checked? Can someone remove the climate controls panel and radio and post a pic?

Rich
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2008, 01:37 PM   #30
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
You can get 12v by using an 'Add-a-circuit' off the fuse panel, which is easier than running a cable all the way back to the battery. Nice job.

I simply vent mount my Nextar unit when I need GPS.
Appreciate 0