BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-09-2013, 04:39 PM   #1
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

3rd brake light-replacement out of warranty

Does anyone have insight? Anyone have success getting BMW to replace 3rd brake light out of warranty? I think mine been replaced twice already under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 05:10 PM   #2
ozarkgolfer
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 430ixC

Your previous issues with the 3rd brake light should be documented if you had the dealer do the warranty work - they should fix it again unless all that happened a long time ago. Have a chat with your SA.
      10-09-2013, 05:51 PM   #3
dorkdog
Big Mouth No Filter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Montego Blue 6MT Sport

Isn't recent warranty work guaranteed after the warranty on the car expires? Can the repair warranty outlive the car warranty? If I have the brake light repaired at 49K and it fails at 51K isn't the brake light repair covered X miles after it was done?

Confused yet?
      10-09-2013, 06:15 PM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkdog View Post
Isn't recent warranty work guaranteed after the warranty on the car expires? Can the repair warranty outlive the car warranty? If I have the brake light repaired at 49K and it fails at 51K isn't the brake light repair covered X miles after it was done?

Confused yet?
Yes. All warranty repair work is guaranteed for 24 months, with no mileage limits.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 09:17 PM   #5
dtwyim
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Yes. All warranty repair work is guaranteed for 24 months, with no mileage limits.
I think they start the clock (2 yrs) from the time that you last replaced it while still under warranty.

My car is more than 5 yrs old and I just got it replaced for the third time.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 03:12 AM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwyim View Post
I think they start the clock (2 yrs) from the time that you last replaced it while still under warranty.

My car is more than 5 yrs old and I just got it replaced for the third time.
Yes. Say you have something replaced under warranty on the LAST day of your coverage. What ever was replaced will still be covered for two more years. Its called a "parts warranty". BMW will even pay for the labor too, if they installed the part originally.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 07:25 AM   #7
e36addict
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35iX

Quote:
Yes. Say you have something replaced under warranty on the LAST day of your coverage. What ever was replaced will still be covered for two more years. Its called a "parts warranty". BMW will even pay for the labor too, if they installed the part originally.
This.

Mine was replaced under warranty, but the tech that did it previously didn't follow the bulletin and do it correctly. The new part is updated, and you're supposed to grind down a tab on the trunklid, and make a new notch for the light to slide into.. I've seen it many times where techs just jam the new light in there and of course, after a short period of time it breaks again. If you take it in, just make sure your car is going to a competent tech that can follow the bulletin correctly.. My .02
      10-10-2013, 04:21 PM   #8
dtwyim
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36addict View Post
This.

Mine was replaced under warranty, but the tech that did it previously didn't follow the bulletin and do it correctly. The new part is updated, and you're supposed to grind down a tab on the trunklid, and make a new notch for the light to slide into.. I've seen it many times where techs just jam the new light in there and of course, after a short period of time it breaks again. If you take it in, just make sure your car is going to a competent tech that can follow the bulletin correctly.. My .02
I am sure the tab was not taken down in my case. You are supposed to paint it also. That is why it keeps on cracking in my case IMO.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 05:32 PM   #9
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

When you replace the third brake light you can either cut off that tab on the car's body with a cut off wheel(or dremel tool) or keep the tab but cut a BIG grove in the (new) third brake light. I think I would mod the 3rd brake light vs cut off that tab. You can see pics in this DIY. My friends used a file to grind down that tab.

DIY third LED brake light replacement...
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=845005

PS: I think the reason why the third brake lights crack is bc not maybe buy new springs and hardware when replacing their 3rd brake lights.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 07:02 PM   #10
dtwyim
Captain
Canada
Rep

Here is my post last year of what happened when they just shove the light in without grinding the tab off.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=15
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 07:10 PM   #11
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwyim View Post
Here is my post last year of what happened when they just shove the light in without grinding the tab off.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=15
^^I remember that thread.

So did you ever get it fixed correctly? Its not a hard DIYer job.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 07:18 PM   #12
dtwyim
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
^^I remember that thread.

So did you ever get it fixed correctly? Its not a hard DIYer job.

I just got it replaced a few weeks ago. The car is 5 year old now. I am sure they just shoved another one in.

I will take a good look before the 2 year warranty is up. I might ask the dealer then to show me the TSB and have them show me the car when they have the light out. I try not to tell people that they are wrong. I will 'guide' them to realize their mistake

Last edited by dtwyim; 10-10-2013 at 07:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 10:47 PM   #13
doublegbmw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 135i

had a crack in the middle, dealership replaced it for free, no problem.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 10:54 PM   #14
1ToBeOn2Wheels
Freude am Fahren
United_States
Rep
Drives: B9 Audi S5 Coupe

I just emailed my SA to see if they could do a "good faith" warranty repair for me, since I am out of warranty and it's been more than 24 months. They said no. I've had it replaced twice under warranty and it is starting to crack again. I'm gonna be really mad when it falls out again.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 11:38 PM   #15
1addyfan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 135i Vert ///M-Sport 6 M-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ToBeOn2Wheels View Post
I just emailed my SA to see if they could do a "good faith" warranty repair for me, since I am out of warranty and it's been more than 24 months. They said no. I've had it replaced twice under warranty and it is starting to crack again. I'm gonna be really mad when it falls out again.
Bump it up to a manager? I've had SA's say no and then have a manager/superior override the SA's decision on multiple occasions. Granted, they were already working on my car at the time and the dispute was over "additional charges" on the final bill... but hey, worth a shot.

I try to develop a good relationship with my dealer... but I'm quick to take my business elsewhere and share my experience if I feel that I've been wronged.
Appreciate 0