BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-15-2019, 06:38 AM   #1
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Can you use the Bimmergeeks ProTool to test DISA Actuation?

Anyone here with some experience with the Bimmergeeks ProTool?

I know it has a pretty extensive list of diagnostics and coding features that you can use. I already have the app and all the cables.

My question I guess is two parts.

1. Is there a feature with this tool that allows to you test the DISA valves to make sure they actuate like they should.

2. If the DISA valves do actuate fine, are there any worries about sealing issues that could cause problems? I know on old DISA valves on some of the older cars, there was an O-ring that you could replace on the manifold. With this newer style, I don't see that aside from the big green O-ring that is at the base of the DISA valve. Then you have the same green rubber material that runs along the sides and top of the housing.

If my valves test out fine, do I need to worry about any of the soft rubber material that is around valve body itself? Mine are not horrible, but they don't look brand new either.

I just didn't know if the most important part of the valve being functional is just the actuation.

It looks like within the next couple of weeks, I may be able to take a day or two off of work. If the weather holds up, I want to install the intake and tune.

Thanks for any insight.
      03-18-2019, 01:52 AM   #2
Cheungs
Not that left, your other left!
Australia
Rep
Drives: SG BMW 130i

I don't know about that tool, but I used INPA to test my DISA valves.

N52 has the newer design in comparison to the older M54 DISA where luckily very low chance of parts breaking off and getting sucked into the motor.

My smaller DISA on the inside of the manifold had a motor failure, and the larger one on the outside had a worn spindle. I bought rebuild kits to refurbish them which should last the rest of the life of the car.

It came with new o-rings and a new valve flap. It was complete aluminium as opposed to the plastic with green rubber edges so I don't think the rubber make too much of a difference, most important thing is the valve actually opens and closes.

- Build Thread -
Appreciate 1
asbrr540.50
      03-18-2019, 05:12 AM   #3
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheungs View Post
I don't know about that tool, but I used INPA to test my DISA valves.

N52 has the newer design in comparison to the older M54 DISA where luckily very low chance of parts breaking off and getting sucked into the motor.

My smaller DISA on the inside of the manifold had a motor failure, and the larger one on the outside had a worn spindle. I bought rebuild kits to refurbish them which should last the rest of the life of the car.

It came with new o-rings and a new valve flap. It was complete aluminium as opposed to the plastic with green rubber edges so I don't think the rubber make too much of a difference, most important thing is the valve actually opens and closes.
Thanks for the information. I think I will plug them up this week, hit the ignition button, and see if they sweep. Everything on them looked good aside from the green rubber edges...and they look like any worn rubber piece.

However the flaps, rods, and spindles seem to be as solid as they can be. I may get some new O-rings for the bottom part that seals to the intake, and the go with that.