BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-26-2019, 12:16 PM   #1
romnation
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

Clock keeps resetting - Battery is only a few months old.

Battery is only a few months old and OEM. Yes I registered it. Every now and then my clock resets a well as trip odo, mpg count etc. I was recently gone for two weeks out of the country and the car started up fine and nothing reset, however after a short 15 minute drive, I started it again and my clock reset.

Is this just a case of my car not being used enough or is this something else? I live in a big city and use my car only about once every 1-1.5 weeks. Also the vast majority of my trips are short. I can't really use a trickle charger either as my car is parked in a garage with no power.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 05:43 PM   #2
SayHack
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 128i

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
99% sure its your battery....I just changed mine too (but mine was about a 5 year old battery), had the same exact issues....so with my car, it would still start even when not driven for 2-3 weeks (although would crank a little slower) but the clock, and the onboard computer would reset every time the ignition was off. See if you can get your battery tested, or I don't know if you have access to good scanner that can run diagnosis on battery.

There has also been a recall on the battery cable about 2 years ago, see if your car is part of the recall.

https://www.bmwusa.com/safety-and-emission-recalls.html
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 05:47 PM   #3
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Get a battery tender. There are solar powered versions that just plug into the OBD2 port. That is what use at the dealer. Also what I used when I stored our car in our condo parking garage.
Appreciate 0