BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-25-2008, 10:49 PM   #1
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Calgary: 52nd St, N of 114ave WARNING!

WOW today was not a good day. I was cruising down 52nd St.. Lighting was crappy.. Basically went 60km/h over the largest drop I'd ever seen. Doesn't seem fast enough to be harsh.. but it definitely was.

Apparently the construction crew failed to put signs up.. So watch out for this. I bottomed out HARD and the rear end kicked out. The sound was BAD.. I'm not sure what I actually bottomed out on... it was a body part but I'm not sure what.. I'm assuming sway bar but I have no idea what the lowest point is.

I lost a screw from under the bumper.. and other than that, things look OK. No leaks..yet. I'll check the garage floor in the morning..

Anyway.. not feeling too hot right now.. Really pissed off at the city and the roads.. so avoid this area!

It's just north of 114ave on 52 St SE. Not cool.
      05-25-2008, 11:20 PM   #2
canlefty
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4 MW/SO

That's rough.... I didn't even know there was a 114ave, not too often I'm out in the burbs, but thanks for the heads up.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2008, 11:25 PM   #3
Spec Volcanic
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Good tip Stefan, I'm down that way all the time (until they close Race City anyways)
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 09:32 AM   #4
TitoSkulls
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 135i

Yup, I've definilty had a couple near misses myself. Almost feels like an autocross sometimes on the roads trying to dodge potholes and un-even concrete.
      05-26-2008, 10:32 AM   #5
moebiwan
Rep
Drives: nothing yet

Oh man! sorry to hear about the rough ride. I hate Calgary roads right now. Not even just pot holes but it's major potholes, covered in water, unannounced, and you hit it just right. I'm nervous about driving the new car once I get it.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 11:06 AM   #6
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Yeah.. I am getting really frustrated with the city.
      05-26-2008, 11:23 AM   #7
koala
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW M Coupe

Having lived in both Calgary and Edmonton I'd take one un-marked pavement lip over the endless potholes, uneven road surfaces and slow drivers of this damn city. :biggrin: I drive over at least 1 pothole a day here, unavoidable.

Sorry to hear though, never fun when your car is damaged because of poorly marked roads.
      05-26-2008, 02:20 PM   #8
moebiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Yeah.. I am getting really frustrated with the city.
Me too and having lived here since 88 it's hard to see what Calgary used to be and what it is now. Not just roads but everything else too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koala View Post
Having lived in both Calgary and Edmonton I'd take one un-marked pavement lip over the endless potholes, uneven road surfaces and slow drivers of this damn city. :biggrin: I drive over at least 1 pothole a day here, unavoidable.

Sorry to hear though, never fun when your car is damaged because of poorly marked roads.
I live up north in Kincora, there was a period of time last year that they decided a community of over 500 homes and its adjacent communities of over 1000 homes didn't require a paved road while they were doing construction on the ring road for 2 weeks. We were literally driving over dirt with potholes made from rain and trucks twice a day. Even after a town hall meeting with the alderman didn't solve anything.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 02:28 PM   #9
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Debating going to the dealership to get a damage assessment.. shocks have to be shot for sure.. if they aren't leaking by the time I get home today, I'd be amazed.
      05-26-2008, 03:06 PM   #10
koala
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moebiwan View Post
Me too and having lived here since 88 it's hard to see what Calgary used to be and what it is now. Not just roads but everything else too.

I live up north in Kincora, there was a period of time last year that they decided a community of over 500 homes and its adjacent communities of over 1000 homes didn't require a paved road while they were doing construction on the ring road for 2 weeks. We were literally driving over dirt with potholes made from rain and trucks twice a day. Even after a town hall meeting with the alderman didn't solve anything.
At least that is in the name of progress... when I lived in Panorama Hills, that whole area was a disaster while it was being built up.

Here in Edmonton there are major roads with giant potholes that will literally swallow a vehicle... just a few days ago I saw a civic hatchback with their front driver suspension completely broken when they drove through a pot hole (one which was almost completely unavoidable too)... that poor civic had to park on the side of the road and wait for a tow truck as it wasn't even driveable.
      05-26-2008, 11:18 PM   #11
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

SO.. I got the car up on ramps tonight.. Amazingly.. as far as I can tell, there is NO DAMAGE. I have had a hard time even believing this. There's a small dent in the exhaust but that could be stock BMW.. since they put dents in odd places. I took off the shroud. Can anyone confirm that the front sway bar looks like it is notched together? There is a line in it that is too straight to be a crack (so I believe)...

So in other words... it's a tank. I'm amazed.
      05-27-2008, 10:10 AM   #12
Road Runner
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

^^^

The Germans do know how to build them. I remember once in my GTI I got stuck in a really bad hailstorm (tornado watch and everything, that kind of a storm cell), I was certain that it had turned my GTI into a Golf (like a golf ball ). Got out and looked at it, it didn't have a single dimple. After that I always figured that the pride that went into the Panzer Tank kind of stuck with them.

Glad to hear it seems to have turned out okay, I'd check my car out to compare for you but its parked 9 blocks away...
      05-27-2008, 02:33 PM   #13
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Yeah.. actually just got a call from my brother who says it's leaking now... so finally, the dread. I'll have to check it when I get home. I took a picture of the area and I'll take it to the city if I have to.
      05-27-2008, 02:36 PM   #14
koala
Second Lieutenant
Rep

The city will probably take care of it, too.

I used to work across the street from McCall Lake golf course (city owned) and a golf ball hit my S2000 (denting the hood and the trunk)... the city covered it, all I had to do was fax them a quote.
      05-28-2008, 07:49 AM   #15
1erich
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec Volcanic View Post
Good tip Stefan, I'm down that way all the time (until they close Race City anyways)
I hope this isn't true. :iono: What's happening?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 08:35 AM   #16
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

They are fighting to keep it open on the basis that it reduces street racing. Although to do that they'd need more open track days anyway..
      05-28-2008, 11:24 AM   #17
koala
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1erich View Post
I hope this isn't true. :iono: What's happening?
There have been complaints from local people for years about the noise, and they want to develop that land into something "more useful"

But the rumours of Race City closing have been around for a long, long time. I doubt it'll happen anytime soon.
      05-28-2008, 11:30 AM   #18
moebiwan
Rep

Actually the reason for them having a good chance to be closed is that their lease is up this October. It's pretty decent land that they are using which the City has other plans for. I've only ever gone once since I'm not a big car racer and not really in the mod scene but being one of the only such facilities within city limits, it's sad to see something from Calgary's past get bulldozed once again.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 11:51 AM   #19
Spec Volcanic
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

RCMP is closing Oct. 09, it has been in all the papers.

something "more useful"...
I garbage dump and an interchange.

Noise...

I live close to RCMP and the only noise you hear is open header drag cars and they not run after 9PM. The way I see it if you don't like the noise tough S**T the track was there long before the house. Don't move close to a track if you don't like the noise.

No one is fighting to keep RCMP open forever, just the 5 or so years it will take to build a track.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 11:58 AM   #20
TitoSkulls
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec Volcanic View Post
RCMP is closing Oct. 09, it has been in all the papers.

something "more useful"...
I garbage dump and an interchange.

Noise...

I live close to RCMP and the only noise you hear is open header drag cars and they not run after 9PM. The way I see it if you don't like the noise tough S**T the track was there long before the house. Don't move close to a track if you don't like the noise.

No one is fighting to keep RCMP open forever, just the 5 or so years it will take to build a track.
Yes, I believe the plan is to bide enough time to find a new location and develop enough capital to build a new track. Considering how many exotics we're seeeing on the roads these days, let's hope someone is willing to help sponsor a new track. There's obviously enough money in this city for it.
      05-28-2008, 12:02 PM   #21
moebiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitoSkulls View Post
Yes, I believe the plan is to bide enough time to find a new location and develop enough capital to build a new track. Considering how many exotics we're seeeing on the roads these days, let's hope someone is willing to help sponsor a new track. There's obviously enough money in this city for it.
Sponsorship will also mean board of directors. The cool thing with Race City is that it's privately owned and operated. But it's better than not having anything at all I suppose.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 12:21 PM   #22
koala
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Wow, sad to hear its actually closing for real this time. I hadn't really followed any of the developments since I moved away from Calgary in 2004.