E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Got pulled over going 100 mph!

03-28-2006, 12:55 AM   #45
rss
Private
Rep
Drives: 320dSE Touring E91

I would suggest you ask to accompany your local Ambulance crew on their next few RTA's. Perhaps then you might reconsider doing 100mph in a 35mph limit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Bimmer
Last Thursday, I was on my way to some early morning training when I got stuck behind some REALLY slow traffic. When I finally reached my turn, my favorite stretch of road was completely empty! Partially out of joy for the open road, and partially out of joy for getting away from slow traffic, I floored it as it went from 0 - 100 in a matter of seconds (speed limit was 35 mph). I let up right as I hit 100 to slow down and there he was . . . Mr. Policeman sitting there with his radar gun :mad:

As I flew past him, my first instinct was to make a sharp right turn into the upcoming neighborhood (which was over an upcoming hill so he'd never see me) and drive through the twisty turns and out the other side.

But then my second instinct kicked in (which was the right one). I pulled over . . . The cop came up and asked for my licence and registration. All he said then was "06' BMW huh?" I said "yes." I then gave him my info, knowing I was in trouble. He then went back to his car for what felt like eternity.

When he approached my car for the second time, my heart was racing and I began sweating. As he handed me my license, he told me I was clocked going 49 mph. What? I was estatic and confused. Then he had me sign the ticket which was only 70 bucks! I told him thank you and he told me to drive safely and have a nice day! Awesome! I've been driving like a granny for the last 4 days (I know it won't last). Everyone deserves a break once and a while.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2006, 03:32 AM   #46
davinet78
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: bmw e90 320d

Garage List
lucky you mate
      03-28-2006, 05:43 AM   #47
england1987
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 M coupe

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [7.50]
Go on my son, what a result
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2006, 07:33 AM   #48
coupedupcivic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325 XI

Why dont we all just trade our e90s for some mini-vans?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2006, 08:05 AM   #49
Neurorad
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 340xi

Some cops are dicks, some are awesome!

Why do I so frequently deal with the shi!!y ones. I'm 3/5 in the past 4 years, crappy/cool.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2006, 08:31 AM   #50
KC Bimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hej
I love how posts about driving like an idiot are usually met with applause and accolades around here. Not to mention the encouragement from advice on how to get away with it.

What's so cool about doing 100+ in what was obviously a residential area? Do you guys come here to brag when you flatten some 4 year old kid running across the street?
Hej-

As I mentioned earlier, it was a four lane road with a large grass median. Also each residential neighborhood was separated from the street by a long fence.

I find it a long shot that a 4 year old would be out of the house at 7:00am and repelling down a high fence.

I'm not looking for you approval. I just wanted to share with everyone my experience about a cop giving me a break. I'm sorry, but I bought the ultimate driving machine. And damn it, I'm going to use it. It takes about what? 20-30 seconds to go from 0-100 then back down to the posted speed limit.

My friend has a Boxter S and happens to live in that neighborhood (with children mind you) and he loves opening up his car on this stretch.

Maybe when I'm an old man I'll be complaining about these young wipersnappers driving their cars all "crazy-like".

And to answer your question. No, I do not come hear to brag when I flatten 4 year old kids running across the street. I try to keep those things quiet.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2006, 09:18 AM   #51
rss
Private
Rep
Drives: 320dSE Touring E91

KC Bimmer, if you must use your Ultimate Driving Machine like that, go and do it on the track.

Either that or come over and spend a week with my brother-in-law and accompany him when he has to tell someone's loved ones they have been killed by a speeding driver.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2006, 11:33 AM   #52
KC Bimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xdrive

I love the Cambridge! Loads of fun! You pay for the plane ticket and lodging, I'll be there!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2006, 12:22 PM   #53
BMW0
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E90 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Bravo KC Bimmer!

"Freude am Fahren" = "Joy to Drive"
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2006, 01:16 PM   #54
T-MC-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 325i

i was hooked up by a cop like that once on my R6. I made an illegal u-turn coming out of a gas station and the cop started following me (he was in an unmarked ford explorer). I took an entrance ramp onto a highway and he was right behind me and I didn't know it. He later told me he clocked me at 97mph while I was still on the entrance ramp. By the time he got on the highway I was way out of sight. Eventually I slowed down to about 80 and he caught up with me 5 minutes later about 8 miles down the highway and pulled me over. He just gave me a ticket for the illegal u-turn.

"tell me what you don't like about yourself..."
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2006, 01:53 PM   #55
Hej
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Black Sapphire 330i e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90rocks
I actually found the license plate spray thing to be an intriguing concept because I would occasionally drive through the wrong (non) EZ Pass lane by mistake or with the wrong car, transducer not get picked up, etc.

I disagree with your characterization of the general forum reaction to irresponsible driving. I've only been checking this forum out for about 3 months now but I would say that most posts in responses to "I drove 110 on the freeway" or "I flied my car!" are in the vein of " URN Idiot, go buy a Chevy."

Do a search and you will see my general opinions regarding speed limits, turn signals, defensive driving, traffic safety, and respect for the police in general. Welcome to the forum.

Always drive responsibly.
Always drink responsibly.
Not at the same time.
I took your advice and did a couple of searchs in the forum. I can count on one hand the number of posts I saw that even slightly disapproved of doing 2x or 3x the legal speed limit. The only real complaints I saw were about the excess of threads in this forum about how amazingly fast people drive their cars.

But most of the posts were either competitions for who drove their car the fastest, or "cops are dicks" when (God forbid) somebody actually gets a ticket for it.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2006, 02:10 PM   #56
Hej
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Black Sapphire 330i e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Bimmer
Hej-

As I mentioned earlier, it was a four lane road with a large grass median. Also each residential neighborhood was separated from the street by a long fence.

I find it a long shot that a 4 year old would be out of the house at 7:00am and repelling down a high fence.

I'm not looking for you approval. I just wanted to share with everyone my experience about a cop giving me a break. I'm sorry, but I bought the ultimate driving machine. And damn it, I'm going to use it. It takes about what? 20-30 seconds to go from 0-100 then back down to the posted speed limit.

My friend has a Boxter S and happens to live in that neighborhood (with children mind you) and he loves opening up his car on this stretch.

Maybe when I'm an old man I'll be complaining about these young wipersnappers driving their cars all "crazy-like".

And to answer your question. No, I do not come hear to brag when I flatten 4 year old kids running across the street. I try to keep those things quiet.
If you notice, I live in the same area you do. I've lived out here for 7 years now, and about the first thing I noticed was that the speed limits - *particularly* in Johnson county - are pretty liberal compared to most areas. Pretty much everywhere I go, the limits are probably about 10mph higher for the same type of road as they would be in other places I've lived and visited. If the posted limit is 35, it's probably that way for a reason. The lack of 4 year old kids repelling down fences doesn't really justify anything.

And at 28 years old, rest assured I'm generally not uptight about what all the young whipper snappers are doing. But yes, I do get irritated when I'm on the road and people go tearing through in ways that could easily get *me* killed. Your ultimate driving machine won't assure you that there won't be somebody pulling out in your lane just on the other side of the hill you're driving over, or changing lanes when they don't see you coming (etc. etc. etc.).
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2006, 03:07 PM   #57
e90rocks
Myrmidon
United_States
Rep
Drives: Entwicklung 90 - 325 Xi

Garage List
2006 325 xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hej
I took your advice and did a couple of searchs in the forum. I can count on one hand the number of posts I saw that even slightly disapproved of doing 2x or 3x the legal speed limit. The only real complaints I saw were about the excess of threads in this forum about how amazingly fast people drive their cars.

But most of the posts were either competitions for who drove their car the fastest, or "cops are dicks" when (God forbid) somebody actually gets a ticket for it.
I guess I was just being defensive. Honestly unless you have polydactyly, you shouldn't be able to count my posts regarding safety with one hand. I do concur with your general point that dangerous and irresponsible behavior should get an overwhelmingly negative response, not 50/50. I strongly feel that cops are out there doing their jobs, and that enforcement of speed limits saves lives. I try to teach my kids that police are honorable, courageous people who are to be respected and obeyed. What I find amusing are people who speed on the highway by 20mph all day, and then when they get pulled over locally, they will dispute a 5 mph margin of error.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2006, 03:14 PM   #58
ben1364
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 330iA

This sort of activity on public streets gives serious car people a bad name, in my opinion; not to mention the danger it poses to others.
Appreciate 0