BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-18-2020, 09:00 AM   #1
RicardoG
Guatemala
Rep
Drives: 2012 1M coupe

MHD Tune advise

Hi there.
My 1M is completely stock besides the necessary aluminum charge pipe mod.
I only have 23K KMs on the clock.
I already have the MHD wireless adapter and was planning on some tuning to increase performance.
Not looking for all out tuning as there are some other mods pending (bigger intercooler, downpipes) in order to be able to extract the full potential of the tuning.

What should be the order of mods I should follow and stages of tuning packages to install in order to gradually increase performance?

Appreciate your advise.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 09:07 AM   #2
c0bra
Commander ;)
United_States
Rep
Drives: E88 N54

As someone who has run through all MHD stages on N54...

Even stage 1 is a big difference from stock and would be recommended without the IC and DPs. I would just install the IC and DPs in one shot and go straight to 2+. One of the great things about MHD is you don't lose everyday drivability, no matter what stage you choose.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 11:06 AM   #3
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
You can experiment with a lot of settings. I find the "linear throttle" setting to be very non linear and now leave it off for better drivability. I am using a custom tune, which also improved the part-throttle drivability significantly compared to the OTS maps.

An Intercooler will make the biggest difference in power gains since high intake temps will result in lower load targets after 1 pull on the stock intercooler. The stock IC is quickly overwhelmed with any increase in boost, including stage 1.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 01:12 PM   #4
RicardoG
Guatemala
Rep

Thank you both for your opinions. That is exactly what I was looking for: First hand experience opinions and suggestions.

Will do an Intercooler next. Ive been doing a lot of reading regarding the best fit Intercooler without having to cut and modify for the install. Still undecided.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 01:50 PM   #5
1and1
Loves me some MHD!
United_States
Rep
Drives: faster than he should...

Garage List
'09 135i  [10.00]
Whatever else you decide to do, I highly encourage starting your MHD experience by purchasing the Monitoring Module first.

I know everybody wants to go straight to the fun stuff, but it's better to log and be sure all is well, then add parts or a tune, then monitor some more to be sure all is well.

From the App Store:

═══ Monitor module ═══
- Extensive logging values list, up to 30 values at the same time.
- Save logging session to .CSV files
- Integrated csv log viewer
- Up to 8 configurable gauges
- Automatic or manual log session start.
X1 - E84.N20 2013 MGM - JB4 - The Wife's, now with new turbo & ewg
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 07:31 PM   #6
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
There are FB groups for MHD and N54 tuning in general with a lot more traffic, but I am happy to help here if you run into any trouble.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 09:59 PM   #7
RicardoG
Guatemala
Rep

Thanks a lot to all of you. Appreciate all of the above mentioned suggestions
I am pretty familiar with HPTuners but MHD is completely new to me.
I am a little scared to do a PCM flash with a wireless connection during such a long time.

I guess I will start by doing some logging and monitoring first like 1and1 suggested. Just to get the feel of the system. For now I Signed in to MHD and am just about to start purchasing licenses.

Do you have to do a stock calibration backup before trying to flash any tunes into the PCM?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 12:48 PM   #8
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
MHD automatically saves a stock calibration and will revert you to that if you ever decide to uninstall. If you flash stage 0, the car will run stock parameters.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 04:50 PM   #9
PRTSB1M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW3 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicardoG View Post
What should be the order of mods I should follow and stages of tuning packages to install in order to gradually increase performance?

Appreciate your advise.
My approach to this may not be the same as others, and is influenced from a history of owning E30s, 135i (N55), F80 M3, and now the 1M (all w/3 pedals).

1. BMS charge pipe w/Tial BOV
2. YCW carbon fiber driveshaft
3. MadDad mid-pipe
4. 128i performance shift lever
5. OEM valve cover, HPFP, and injectors
6. BMS low-side catch can
7. Wagner intercooler
8. MHD stage 1+

I will probably do inlets, and cp-e cat-less downpipes after this to move up to stage 2/2+. I think a custom tune might be a good option in this arena, also; but I need to drive better first
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 09:31 PM   #10
RicardoG
Guatemala
Rep

More questions have come up

Right in the middle of my downpipe and FMIC install and about to go with the MHD tune. Thinking of stage2. Do I need to change my spark plugs for colder ones or will I be OK with the OEM ones?

And, will I get a SES light after the removal of the downpipe CATS? I do have the O2 sensors in their respective places. Went with the VRSF downpipes.

Thans for your input
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 06:31 AM   #11
BadakVT
Enlisted Member
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 1M AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicardoG View Post
More questions have come up

Right in the middle of my downpipe and FMIC install and about to go with the MHD tune. Thinking of stage2. Do I need to change my spark plugs for colder ones or will I be OK with the OEM ones?

And, will I get a SES light after the removal of the downpipe CATS? I do have the O2 sensors in their respective places. Went with the VRSF downpipes.

Thans for your input
1) Try and do logs with the OEM Bosch plugs. Don't waste money if not needed. Mine was doing fine with Stage 2+ and OEM plugs.
2) Do not check the OEM Catted Downpipe checkbox then you won't get emission light.
3) Check cold start delete checkbox to quiet down start up plus it's useless since you have no catalytic converter.
4) I don't know how good the fuel is in your country, but if the octane rating is not reliable I'd start with one grade lower to be safe. Do logs and check for Ign timing corrections. Move up one octane rating if safe to do so.
      09-29-2021, 10:38 PM   #12
RicardoG
Guatemala
Rep

Thanks a lot for your advise. I will follow your suggestions. Gas is good here. Octane rating reliable. I always run premium fuel wich is 93 octane.
Appreciate 0