BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-18-2017, 09:18 AM   #1
Dr3K0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Unhappy The trunk does not open! 135i HELP!

All of the sudden, the trunk does not open. In cant hear the solenoid unlatching. I check the valet switch on the glove box but is on the unlock position. Does not work with either the remote control or from inside of the car. When I lock/unlock the car I can hear the lock activation/de activating on the trunk.

Is there a fuse/relay location I can look into?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 06:11 PM   #2
Yeineken
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i M Sport

Garage List
'11 135i  [8.20]
'16 Ford Hatchback  [0.00]
'15 X5  [10.00]
Dumb suggestion. Have you tried putting your full weight on the trunk to see if it will click down farther? I believe this happened to me one winter due to ice.
      08-19-2017, 08:44 AM   #3
AB M2C
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C Hockenheim Silver

I would go manually open the trunk with the pull cable and see if you can see any damage to the latch mechanism
Sold -- 2005 E46 M3 MT
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2017, 08:35 PM   #4
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneKid View Post
I would go manually open the trunk with the pull cable and see if you can see any damage to the latch mechanism
How is he going to use the pull cable when the levers to release the seatbacks are in the trunk? Can you release them from the cabin?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 03:17 AM   #5
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

Have you got access to ISTA/D or INPA? Perhaps you could trigger the boot release via diag software?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2017, 09:06 AM   #6
mrexcuse
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Tiguan, M2 Comp, 330 Touring

I just checked the manual if there is an over ride for the trunk mechanism.

If it is malfunctioned it looks like they want you take a dealer, so no other easy over ride or help from there

There is a lock/unlock switch in the glove compartment maybe that is preventing you from opening the trunk?

:-(
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2017, 07:04 AM   #7
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

OP, how did things pan out?
Even for us at work, a stuck boot is not a fun job.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 05:38 PM   #8
Dr3K0
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeineken View Post
Dumb suggestion. Have you tried putting your full weight on the trunk to see if it will click down farther? I believe this happened to me one winter due to ice.
Yes. I was pissed. LOL did not work.

Last edited by Dr3K0; 09-22-2017 at 05:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 05:40 PM   #9
Dr3K0
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by juld0zer View Post
Have you got access to ISTA/D or INPA? Perhaps you could trigger the boot release via diag software?
I don't have that. I tried to look on the bavarian technics cable but could not find anything like that. I reset all modules and ecm, no dice.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 05:48 PM   #10
Dr3K0
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrexcuse View Post
I just checked the manual if there is an over ride for the trunk mechanism.

If it is malfunctioned it looks like they want you take a dealer, so no other easy over ride or help from there

There is a lock/unlock switch in the glove compartment maybe that is preventing you from opening the trunk?

:-(
Yes, tried that. Also tried to jump the 2 wires from the switch and blew the ac fuse! Somehow the trunk circuit uses other components. It still doesn't work. I manage to open the trunk with a rod and a camera. Inserted the rod thru the middle of the back seats and pull the emergency release.

I could wire jump the trunk release mechanism to make it work. There must be something else upwards the circuit that is not working. While troubleshooting it opened once but no more after that. Tried to replicate the process but did t do it any more.

I will have to take it to the dealer but I'm not prepare at this time to be raped. Will have to wait until settle at least 500 aside.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10527.50
      09-22-2017, 05:53 PM   #11
Dr3K0
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
OP, how did things pan out?
Even for us at work, a stuck boot is not a fun job.

I opened the trunk with a long rod, between the rear seats and a couple of cameras. Took me a while but finally I could pull the emergency release and open the trunk.

Still does not work as it should. I wonder if I dessconnect a cable while working around the fuse box. I did use the camera but could not find anything like that. When I have time to work on the car I will give it another go.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 09:15 PM   #12
Dr3K0
First Lieutenant
Rep

Could be that I replaced the car battery not long before this happen? I didn't register the battery on the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 07:57 AM   #13
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

At least you confirmed the mechanism is mechanically sound by operating the emergency release.

So the fault is likely electrical. Pull off the lid cover and disconnect the harness to the lock actuator. Get an assistant to operate all the boot release buttons (key, footwell button) while you check for battery voltage on pin 4 of the harness. Connect your negative multimeter lead to the battery negative or pin 3.

If that checks out, then check the ground wire on pin 3 of the harness (volt drop check). If that checks out then you might have a fault in the lock actuator such as a short or open circuit.

Refer to this: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...tlputs/bykETkj
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 01:06 PM   #14
Manleystanley91
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i Sports

Im Having a similar problem

Quote:
At least you confirmed the mechanism is mechanically sound by operating the emergency release.

So the fault is likely electrical. Pull off the lid cover and disconnect the harness to the lock actuator. Get an assistant to operate all the boot release buttons (key, footwell button) while you check for battery voltage on pin 4 of the harness. Connect your negative multimeter lead to the battery negative or pin 3.

If that checks out, then check the ground wire on pin 3 of the harness (volt drop check). If that checks out then you might have a fault in the lock actuator such as a short or open circuit.

Idk if there's any forum rules being broke, sorry if there is I am desperate for help, I am having the same problem except mine tweaked out after messing with my radio, according to your wire diagram you provided, it seems this is part of the "Central Locking System" so would if be safe to say the fuse that corresponds to this could be the issue? I have an aftermarket Dynavin Radio in mine that after trying to get power to return to the radio, My trunk latch stopped working. I figured I blew a fuse somewhere messing with the power wires something that must draw from the same Fuse. I'm about to run to the parts store to buy some more mirror glue since the roads here are crap and a pothole made the glue on my rearview mirror give, (I'm Praying my rims are bent, I hate Indiana )

sorry long rant, but just trying to get a solution to this issue while I have some time down off work. Thanks in advance for anyone that answers!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 11:43 AM   #15
///Makis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manleystanley91 View Post
Quote:

Idk if there's any forum rules being broke, sorry if there is I am desperate for help, I am having the same problem except mine tweaked out after messing with my radio, according to your wire diagram you provided, it seems this is part of the "Central Locking System" so would if be safe to say the fuse that corresponds to this could be the issue? I have an aftermarket Dynavin Radio in mine that after trying to get power to return to the radio, My trunk latch stopped working. I figured I blew a fuse somewhere messing with the power wires something that must draw from the same Fuse. I'm about to run to the parts store to buy some more mirror glue since the roads here are crap and a pothole made the glue on my rearview mirror give, (I'm Praying my rims are bent, I hate Indiana )

sorry long rant, but just trying to get a solution to this issue while I have some time down off work. Thanks in advance for anyone that answers!
It's possible you blew something. I think you're supposed to unplug the battery whenever you're messing around with switches / sensors or anything electric in the car.

If you have to now, you can remove the speaker on the rear seat shelf and under the fiberglass insulation stuff you can access the cable to pull the seats down. I had to make a small cut on the sheath of the cable to get at the wire which I pulled with needle nose pliers and got the seats to drop so I can open the trunk with the emergency cable.

It's a PITA but if you have to open the trunk and there's no other way besides taking it to bmw, it's worth a shot, you can at least better diagnose the problem with trunk open.

M
Appreciate 0