e92_driver88
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 20 F97 X3M,11 E82 1M,98 E36 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
1998 BMW M3  [0.00]
Awesome video just Sub'd to your channel and couldn't agree more. I also had the M2C prior to 1M ownership and coming from almost every generation M3 except the E30 I can honestly say the 1M has been my favorite M car to own. I've only had the 1M for a few months but would love to meet up with other Bay Area 1M owners.
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2021, 11:15 AM   #24
blackmist222777
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
You're a lucky guy to own those two wonderful cars. I love the 1M and would really like to drive it one day. I need that modern tech in the M2C. Like I said, lucky to have both. Congrats on a very nice video.

Question: who is the white haired gentleman in the 1M at the end, if I might ask?
Thanks and I do feel very fortunate.
the man driving in some of the shots is my 77 year old dad. its crazy but he grew up poor in a different country and left at 16 to make a better life for himself. he has given me everything I have ever needed and more my entire life. so as I have become financially more independent, I have enjoyed giving him opportunities to enjoy things like driving the 1M or M2. he never could have imagined that as a kid.
He is the best man I know and I am me because of him.

2023 G80 M3
2020 F87 M2C
2011 E82 BMW 1M Series Coupe
Check me out at Point.Shift.Drive (YouTube)
Appreciate 5
Esteban42220.00
CarJunkie2615.50
Tornado1M1206.00
      01-16-2021, 11:17 AM   #25
blackmist222777
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92_driver88 View Post
Awesome video just Sub'd to your channel and couldn't agree more. I also had the M2C prior to 1M ownership and coming from almost every generation M3 except the E30 I can honestly say the 1M has been my favorite M car to own. I've only had the 1M for a few months but would love to meet up with other Bay Area 1M owners.
THANK YOU! means a lot... and I do have lots more good stuff coming. hopefully soon as lockdowns ease up.

2023 G80 M3
2020 F87 M2C
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 11:35 AM   #26
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

Good video and I agree with your conclusion.

I think it is good to drive the new cars, because you kind of forget how awesome the 1M is since we drive it all the time, but back to back it is special in comparison to newer cars, even from other brands.

The steering, the steering, the steering, my friends......
Appreciate 2
      01-16-2021, 11:38 AM   #27
blackmist222777
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seis-speed View Post
Good video and I agree with your conclusion.

I think it is good to drive the new cars, because you kind of forget how awesome the 1M is since we drive it all the time, but back to back it is special in comparison to newer cars, even from other brands.

The steering, the steering, the steering, my friends......
I think when we were growing up we were under the impression that as things got renewed or updated in the forms of new models, they would naturally be better than the older versions. The 1M quickly disproves that! And its just the 1M... just look at any aircooled Porsches or even some American muscle cars.

New is not always better. Better is just better. I guess thats kinda of cool too because it means that we can keep the older stuff alive. I personally feel blessed to drive my 1M.

2023 G80 M3
2020 F87 M2C
Appreciate 2
      01-16-2021, 11:56 AM   #28
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmist222777 View Post
I think when we were growing up we were under the impression that as things got renewed or updated in the forms of new models, they would naturally be better than the older versions. The 1M quickly disproves that! And its just the 1M... just look at any aircooled Porsches or even some American muscle cars.

New is not always better. Better is just better. I guess thats kinda of cool too because it means that we can keep the older stuff alive. I personally feel blessed to drive my 1M.

I have been a constant new car flipper, I always wanted the latest and greatest, until I realized how much better hydraulic steering feels. I had an M2 and sold it to get a 1M. I also had a cool 991.2 and sold it to get a 997.2. I have been going back in time to get the driving experience that I want.

These were the first used cars that I had owned since college and it has absolutely ruined all new cars for me, they feel so artificial in comparison.

I want to love the new stuff, but I just do not. The only newer stuff that I like are hot-hatches, they seem to have a slightly better grasp on the the feel aspect of the cars, still EPS, but they are lighter, less powerful, shorter gearing, and at least offer practicality, while not overpowering the road.

I wish this was not the case, but I think if I get a new sporty car, it has to have a lot of practicality to offset the lack of driver feel for me to be excited about it.

Appreciate 3
nachob2307.00
Tornado1M1206.00
      01-16-2021, 01:03 PM   #29
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by seis-speed View Post
Quote:

I have been a constant new car flipper, I always wanted the latest and greatest, until I realized how much better hydraulic steering feels. I had an M2 and sold it to get a 1M. I also had a cool 991.2 and sold it to get a 997.2. I have been going back in time to get the driving experience that I want.

These were the first used cars that I had owned since college and it has absolutely ruined all new cars for me, they feel so artificial in comparison.

I want to love the new stuff, but I just do not. The only newer stuff that I like are hot-hatches, they seem to have a slightly better grasp on the the feel aspect of the cars, still EPS, but they are lighter, less powerful, shorter gearing, and at least offer practicality, while not overpowering the road.

I wish this was not the case, but I think if I get a new sporty car, it has to have a lot of practicality to offset the lack of driver feel for me to be excited about it.

Same here. Hot hatches are still cool and love our GTI. I'm spending a lot of time going to the dealer to get parts for my ZHP that needs a lot work and I pass by the BMW SUVs and big monstrosities they make now and feel nothing. Only the M2 makes me take a second look. The Caymans still interest me a little but I find it disconcerting that I don't feel anything foe new BMWs after decades of admiring them. I feel a sense of loss about it. I also find myself being called a BMW guy because I have 3 of them but I quickly correct them and say I'm a car guy who happens to own 3 BMWs. After years of wanting to do the BMW M school. I won a $1700 M school certificate from BMW CCA and now not even interested in that. I wish now I would've won the $1000 gift card or tire certificate instead and I wanted M school for about 20 years. Ferrrari didn't care as much for street cars as he did for his race cars but they paid the bills. I get it but BMW seems to have a disdain for us that want great steering and manual transmissions. They do some of it grudgingly. I feel that the 1M was BMWs last good faith Quixotic attempt at making a truly compelling car whose goal wasn't numbers but how it does things and passion. The new M cars feel like hot stepford wives. Yes they do everything you want but they lack the character that is present in the 1M. Yes nothing wrong with a stepford wife. Most would love it but for some there is a void left.
Appreciate 2
ayao627.50
seis-speed2426.00
      01-16-2021, 01:21 PM   #30
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep

nachob
The M school is pretty cool, the newer cars are fun on track, it suits them good as the engines are very linear and super powerful. I think you will enjoy it. ��
Appreciate 1
nachob2307.00
      01-16-2021, 02:53 PM   #31
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
My M2CS has arrived. I'll post some impressions after picking it up next week. It comes with a $1500 M driving school credit which I hope to use.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 2
      01-16-2021, 07:03 PM   #32
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Somebody please buy this three-pedal CS—before I do something rash!

Appreciate 3
      01-17-2021, 12:12 AM   #33
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
I am taking delivery of my CS Monday...here she is on the truck!

Meanwhile, I am going to get the BBK installed on the 1M tomorrow, bed them in, and put the car up until March.
Attached Images

1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 4
      01-19-2021, 04:34 PM   #34
j23
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92_driver88 View Post
I'm in the same boat.

I just sold my M2C and was looking into M2CS. However, I'm still debating between that or the 1M. Both are more or less the same price, given that I'd only ever consider a low-mileage 1M (low miles in my book are in the 5-10k range).

Curious to hear your thoughts about M2CS vs 1M. I'm afraid that if I get the M2CS, it will fall short for the same (or similar) reason the M2C did and I will regret not getting the 1M. I loved everything about the M2C, but it was a little numb at times. Maybe more than a "little".
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 06:13 PM   #35
blackmist222777
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by j23 View Post
I'm in the same boat.

I just sold my M2C and was looking into M2CS. However, I'm still debating between that or the 1M. Both are more or less the same price, given that I'd only ever consider a low-mileage 1M (low miles in my book are in the 5-10k range).

Curious to hear your thoughts about M2CS vs 1M. I'm afraid that if I get the M2CS, it will fall short for the same (or similar) reason the M2C did and I will regret not getting the 1M. I loved everything about the M2C, but it was a little numb at times. Maybe more than a "little".
no doubt that the M2CS is a great car... but it will take a long long time before those cars are viewed as investment grade cars. where I think you could easily still get a 1M today that could be a true collectable. how would you feel if next year the 1Ms suddenly jumped to $175 or 200k? you would be kicking yourself for not getting one when you could have...

not that I think that will happen that quickly. but I think its possible in the next 10 years. I remember a host of the Mecum Auctions talked about the 1M as being a car that will go under the radar for years and then rocket up. It was interesting to me since I owned one but I dont own one for the sake of investment. I just love how it drives.

but nevertheless, the M2CS will make you smile everday. the 1M does that as well but I fear everyday that someone will ding me in a parking spot or someone will hit me on the freeway... et cetera. therefore making me not want to drive it.
thats why I have the M2C. I can just drive and enjoy.

2023 G80 M3
2020 F87 M2C
Appreciate 2
nachob2307.00
      01-19-2021, 07:03 PM   #36
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by j23 View Post
I'm in the same boat.

no doubt that the M2CS is a great car... but it will take a long long time before those cars are viewed as investment grade cars. where I think you could easily still get a 1M today that could be a true collectable. how would you feel if next year the 1Ms suddenly jumped to $175 or 200k? you would be kicking yourself for not getting one when you could have...

not that I think that will happen that quickly. but I think its possible in the next 10 years. I remember a host of the Mecum Auctions talked about the 1M as being a car that will go under the radar for years and then rocket up. It was interesting to me since I owned one but I dont own one for the sake of investment. I just love how it drives.

but nevertheless, the M2CS will make you smile everday. the 1M does that as well but I fear everyday that someone will ding me in a parking spot or someone will hit me on the freeway... et cetera. therefore making me not want to drive it.
thats why I have the M2C. I can just drive and enjoy.
Exactly! The one thing I'm jealous about M2s is that you can enjoy it and not as special so that is fun. I also stress about 1M too. I still drive it but definitely more preoccupied than if I drove an M2. I totally get that.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 08:33 PM   #37
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
These are all great cars but any delusion that these are investment-grade commodities has to consider that it will only be the case . . . if they aren't driven!

We've all seen the $250,000 E30 M3. But that got driven 8,000 miles in 32 years. That's 250-miles per year. Oh what fun! Even if you'd only driven 4,000-miles per year, auction results tell us that would cut the value by 80%. If you took the original $40k-or-so MSRP plus taxes and added the cost of 32-years of insurance and property taxes . . . is this an investment? $40,000 in Apple stock purchased that long ago would likely be worth $25M today. I hope those were a fun 250 miles!

Do you want to drive your special BMW, or own it? How special is it if you don't drive it? It's just a question.

Appreciate 2
      01-19-2021, 10:19 PM   #38
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
My 1M is a driver....modded, body work twice (minor and non-structural), tracked, never PPF'd so it shows its age and use pattern on close inspection. I use it as intended and have gotten my money's worth.

I am going to daily the CS for a long time and may eventually take it to the track. It's getting PPF and ceramic so I can effortlessly keep it clean and not worry about the paint. Time will tell which one is worth more on the market....I don't foresee selling either.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
      01-22-2021, 05:36 PM   #39
blackmist222777
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
My 1M is a driver....modded, body work twice (minor and non-structural), tracked, never PPF'd so it shows its age and use pattern on close inspection. I use it as intended and have gotten my money's worth.

I am going to daily the CS for a long time and may eventually take it to the track. It's getting PPF and ceramic so I can effortlessly keep it clean and not worry about the paint. Time will tell which one is worth more on the market....I don't foresee selling either.
Im in love with your garage!!!!!

2023 G80 M3
2020 F87 M2C
Appreciate 0