BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-22-2020, 02:45 PM   #1
Kristopher
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Squealing after replacing belt and pulleys. N55

I had a squealing belt so I ordered the kit from fcp euro that came with a belt tensioner pulley, idler pulleys, and belt I installed everything my self however when I started the car the squealing did not go away. It fades after the car is running idle for a few minutes but returns if I rev the motor past 2k rpms and actually gets a bit louder as the revs increase. Any thoughts on what it could be?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 08:40 PM   #2
Converted1
Wolfsburg to Munich
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Convertible M-Sport

One of the accessories failing? Was the belt that came out oily?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 09:47 PM   #3
Kristopher
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Converted1 View Post
One of the accessories failing? Was the belt that came out oily?
Nope it was actually in decent shape I was banking on it being the tensioner because thats what I read was really common in causing the noise. Would the belt being new cause the noise? Or is that not a thing?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2020, 06:29 AM   #4
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Never had the squealing on my N55. I did the the same job you did and didn't have it afterwards either. I did mine due to mileage and time as a preventative measure.

From what I remember seeing various threads on this topic, you may want to check the other accessory pulleys as mentioned above. I seem to recall one member saying they found the power steering pulley to be loose and had to re-tighten the bolts.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2020, 12:24 PM   #5
Kristopher
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Never had the squealing on my N55. I did the the same job you did and didn't have it afterwards either. I did mine due to mileage and time as a preventative measure.

From what I remember seeing various threads on this topic, you may want to check the other accessory pulleys as mentioned above. I seem to recall one member saying they found the power steering pulley to be loose and had to re-tighten the bolts.
That's my next course of action, I've been searching the site and have found the noise can possibly be a failing alternator pulley, A/C compressor pulley or loose, or a cracked PCV valve. Gonna start by checking the A/C compressor and work my way around. I'll update once I find out.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2020, 05:49 PM   #6
Kristopher
Rep

Got an update not sure if its the alternator pulley but heres a video of me spinning it by hand it does squeak a little but not 100% thats whats causing the noise

https://youtu.be/XDWyssNSCyM
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2020, 10:52 AM   #7
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Spray a bit of silicone spray on the belt while it is running. If the noise immediately goes away, it is the belt. Get a belt from the dealer, softer rubber and won't squeal.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2020, 12:01 PM   #8
Kristopher
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Spray a bit of silicone spray on the belt while it is running. If the noise immediately goes away, it is the belt. Get a belt from the dealer, softer rubber and won't squeal.
I've tried the silicone spray already I don't think the belt is the issue I believe its the alternator pulley, did you watch the video I posted?
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2020, 12:25 PM   #9
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristopher View Post
Quote:
I've tried the silicone spray already I don't think the belt is the issue I believe its the alternator pulley, did you watch the video I posted?
Yes, watched it. Does not really show anything. The pulley on the alternator is a one way clutch. If there is noise from the alternator more than likely a failing bearing. Best to have it running and use a stethoscope to pin point the location of the noise. Just be careful around spinning parts.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2020, 02:01 PM   #10
Kristopher
Rep

Quote:
Yes, watched it. Does not really show anything. The pulley on the alternator is a one way clutch. If there is noise from the alternator more than likely a failing bearing. Best to have it running and use a stethoscope to pin point the location of the noise. Just be careful around spinning parts.
I have 3 other videos on my YouTube channel where I have the car running and me spinning the bearings if you can check them out and give me your feedback I'd really appreciate it.also should the alternator pulley only spin one way? Because mine spins both ways.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2020, 07:25 PM   #11
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristopher View Post
Quote:
I have 3 other videos on my YouTube channel where I have the car running and me spinning the bearings if you can check them out and give me your feedback I'd really appreciate it.also should the alternator pulley only spin one way? Because mine spins both ways.
Yes. Should spin both ways.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 02:14 AM   #12
Kristopher
Rep

Alright boys I figured out where the squealing was coming from and it turned out to be a faulty drive belt idler pulley I'm guessing it was due to not tighten the pulley to the proper torque which is 29lbs.
Appreciate 2