12-30-2020, 03:51 PM   #1
Stevesas12
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M Coupe

Tensioner pulley wobble

Hi guys,

ended up with a new Tensioner (INA) that has a slight wobble to the pulley, making the belt move 1-2mm side to side (walking on the the pulley) as it goes round.
Have notified parts place, but they only have Febi Bilstein ones available right now, & the INA replacement will be a month.
Half of me wants to wait for the INA one, as I believe their meant to be OEM standard, plus I've replaced the two diverter pulleys with INA ones, so rather keep them all the same, then I also think if INA one didn't run true, maybe no more superior than a Febi Bilstein.
Any opinions on this?

Thanks
Appreciate 1
nachob2307.00
      12-30-2020, 07:33 PM   #2
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
I recently replaced my belt and tensioner and used BMW parts. I don't usually trust unbranded parts. The belt was $60 and tensioner $130. I am not sure how much can be saved with non-OEM parts, but it probably isn't worth it.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 1
nachob2307.00
      12-31-2020, 11:47 AM   #3
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevesas12 View Post
Hi guys,

ended up with a new Tensioner (INA) that has a slight wobble to the pulley, making the belt move 1-2mm side to side (walking on the the pulley) as it goes round.
Have notified parts place, but they only have Febi Bilstein ones available right now, & the INA replacement will be a month.
Half of me wants to wait for the INA one, as I believe their meant to be OEM standard, plus I've replaced the two diverter pulleys with INA ones, so rather keep them all the same, then I also think if INA one didn't run true, maybe no more superior than a Febi Bilstein.
Any opinions on this?

Thanks
I use OEM parts when I know the original manufacturer. For example Lemforder makes the original ZHP control arms so I use those. The radiator is made by BEHR and coils by Delphi. Febi makes some parts foe bmw so they can call themselves a OEM... original equipment manufacturer bit probably not your piece. I use Febi very little now after a bad experience with their ZHP control arms. My shop ordered a set and they come laser etched Febi GERMANY. So we put them on and one failed in 10 months. They warrantied it and sent me a replacement. It also had the Febi GERMANY on it but this one had a paper tag on a string that said made in Taiwan. We went ahead and out it in because I needed the car fixed but I contacted Febi and asked where the part was made. They told me Taiwan and I told them that the laser etching was misleading because those tags could fall off easily. They explained the Febi GERMANY is the name of the company so that is what they put it in the part. Ahhh. Makes sense it looks like it was made in Germany but it's just the company name! Harbor freight should name a company MADE IN USA! Anyway 2 years after that the other control arm failed. I went ahead and replaced both with BMW original arms and they have been perfect for 5 years and counting. So I am down on Febi myself. So if you known who the manufacturer is wait for that part or get bmw one. 2 cents.
Attached Images

Last edited by nachob; 12-31-2020 at 03:45 PM..
Appreciate 2
ayao627.50
CarJunkie2615.50
      12-31-2020, 12:21 PM   #4
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevesas12 View Post
Hi guys,

Any opinions on this?

Thanks
I hadn't heard of INA before but they are listed by FCPEuro as OE for the pulleys, which is as good as it gets. Getting the radiator fan out on the 1 series seems like a hassle with the tight quarters so I would be inclined to just wait for the INA if there is concern about the Febi piece.
Appreciate 1
nachob2307.00
      12-31-2020, 01:14 PM   #5
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
I hadn't heard of INA before but they are listed by FCPEuro as OE for the pulleys, which is as good as it gets. Getting the radiator fan out on the 1 series seems like a hassle with the tight quarters so I would be inclined to just wait for the INA if there is concern about the Febi piece.
I agree with Ayao and Car Junkie. Car Junkie doesn't trust no name parts.

The key is KNOWING who manufactures the specific part and of course price difference. If you know that INA is the original manufacturer, just get those or you are throwing money away. FCP is a great resource on this so if FCP says that is the original manufaturer I would get that myself. However, if you are not sure or the price is insignificant as Car Junkie said, then get BMW parts. Especially after my experience where Febi/Bilstein was a great company but now are making stuff in Taiwan while etching a giant GERMANY on their part and not etching made in Taiwan but attaching a string tag that could easily fall off or be taken off.

The other reason why I think you are good if you know who makes the part is that the BMW parts are not the same anymore! For example the original Sachs/Boge shocks for my E46 ZHP were made by Sachs/BOGE for BMW and both the BMW and aftermarket parts were originally made in Germany but now E46 parts production has been moved to Turkey for the front shocks whether you buy them from the dealer or from Sachs. You will get a new BMW strut made in Turkey today. So you can be already paying for a non-German part from BMW today. Also I had a situation where a local parts store quoted me a $90 for a set of brake pads from the original manufacturer but the BMW branded pads were only $10 more. I just went ahead and got the BMW ones since the price difference was so low.

So in this case where where you know who makes the original and the savings are significant, go with the original manufacturer part and save some dough but with other parts if you are not sure who made the original, then maybe go with BMW parts.

Last edited by nachob; 12-31-2020 at 01:52 PM..
Appreciate 1
ayao627.50
      12-31-2020, 03:12 PM   #6
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Harbor freight should name a company MADE IN USA!
:
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 1
nachob2307.00