BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-03-2013, 07:01 PM   #1
bimmer-boy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330 e46 Vert, Bmw ind F10

Uk 118d Halogen To Oem Xenon Upgrade

Hi, have just brought my partner a 1 series 2010 m sport hatchback. Now whilst it had a few extras she needed, i really wanted to get one with the xenon headlights, but many don't have them. So my question is can i just buy a pair of bi xenon bmw 1 series headlights and fit them and its just plug and play??
or is it more difficult then that?

im not fussed that the headlight washers wont work as the bumper isnt correct, that i can live without. all i want it cleaer headlights with OEM angel eyes.

the car currently has the regular halogen headlights, so will i have to source the same year headlights?? or can any OEM xenons work from the coupe and hatch back?
im guessing as its a 2010 is already a facelift as the model was replaced after 2011.

ive seen a set for sale from 2011 facelift one series, not specified if its coupe or hatcback. with power pack and bulbs and led eyebrow.
wondering if these will work?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 09:03 PM   #2
CentralPA E82
Rookie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

The car needs to be coded to recognize xenons otherwise the car will throw errors. I converted my '09 128 from halogen to xenon by adding a capacitor in line with the switched power. Without programming or adding a capacitor the xenons will act like a strobe light.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 06:08 PM   #3
Chris_B37
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Hi! I see your interested in buying xenons, if the hatch back headlights are the same then yes they will fit... if your are still looking I am selling my xenons they are adaptive xenons .
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 04:36 PM   #4
kore
Enlisted Member
Spain
Rep
Drives: E81 118D N47

Hi, I've retrofitted xenons on my 2010 e81. The full-oem retrofit includes a lot of parts, but the minimum parts that need to be replaced are the following:
· Headlights (obviously) with its ballasts
· Headlight Xenon wiring
· Light module (named 'Footwell module') for Xenon headlights. You may install the last version (FRM3 XE for standard Xenon or FRM3 MAX BROSE for adaptative Xenon), however you can use the previous one (FRM2 XE) on your 2010 1-Series without problem. If you buy an used module, It will work correctly only if it comes from another 1-Series with the same chassis as yours (E81/E82/E87/E88).

With these changes, you'll be ready to coding.
After the coding done right, everything will work correctly, but the dashboard will show an error caused by the tail lights.
You will need to make some mods on the tail light wiring and replace the stock tail lights with LED (or Blackline LED) tail lights to get rid of that error. So LED tail lights sould be included on the previous list.

And that's it, you'll have a nice xenons working properly!

Greetings, and sorry for my bad english! haha
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 05:00 PM   #5
bimmer-boy
Lieutenant
Rep

thanks for that, very much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 05:18 PM   #6
Ratcliffe33
Rep
Drives: BMW 118D

theres a company called Mstyle and they sell the headlight upgrades, iv got them on my car ! they are fantastic, dont need to do anything other than swap the healight units and plug in the ballast boxes and shazam ! they work !
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 10:29 PM   #7
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratcliffe33 View Post
theres a company called Mstyle and they sell the headlight upgrades, iv got them on my car ! they are fantastic, dont need to do anything other than swap the healight units and plug in the ballast boxes and shazam ! they work !
Are you referring to Depo branded replacements?

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 10:30 PM   #8
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kore View Post
Hi, I've retrofitted xenons on my 2010 e81. The full-oem retrofit includes a lot of parts, but the minimum parts that need to be replaced are the following:
· Headlight Xenon wiring
· Light module (named 'Footwell module') for Xenon headlights. You may install the last version (FRM3 XE for standard Xenon or FRM3 MAX BROSE for adaptative Xenon), however you can use the previous one (FRM2 XE) on your 2010 1-Series without problem. If you buy an used module, It will work correctly only if it comes from another 1-Series with the same chassis as yours (E81/E82/E87/E88).

After the coding done right, everything will work correctly, but the dashboard will show an error caused by the tail lights.
You will need to make some mods on the tail light wiring and replace the stock tail lights with LED (or Blackline LED) tail lights to get rid of that error. So LED tail lights sould be included on the previous list.

Awesome information. Could never find a complete easy list to follow.

Can you comment on the UK BMW oem retrofit kit? Ever hear of it?

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 07:17 AM   #9
bimmer-boy
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratcliffe33
Any pictures would be great..

Yeah they are the depo ones right on black or silver

Malcolm X
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 05:07 AM   #10
serk
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E82 120d Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by kore View Post
· Headlight Xenon wiring

Hi,

I saw that you've retrofitted your xenons on your E81. I own an E82 which is similar to yours. So i bought a new FRM3 Max Brose. Are you using this, too? In other forums and they say that i need a FRM3 Max Kuester. Is FRM3 Max Brose capable??

Where are you from? I'm from Germany!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 07:47 AM   #11
kore
Enlisted Member
Spain
Rep
Drives: E81 118D N47

Quote:
Originally Posted by serk View Post
Hi,

I saw that you've retrofitted your xenons on your E81. I own an E82 which is similar to yours. So i bought a new FRM3 Max Brose. Are you using this, too? In other forums and they say that i need a FRM3 Max Kuester. Is FRM3 Max Brose capable??

Where are you from? I'm from Germany!
Hi
I'm from Spain. I'm using an E82 FRM2 XE which is compatible with my E81 and it is made for standard xenons. I should have used an FRM3 XE due to the year of fabrication of my car, but I couldn't find that module on the market.
The FRM3 Max Brose you have bought is intended to be used with adaptative (or cornering) xenons, but I think it can work with standard xenons too.
Is the module you have bought from an e82?

I know nothing about that 'Max Kuester'.. It's the first time I listen that name, sorry
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 07:57 AM   #12
serk
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E82 120d Coupé

FRM3 Max Brose should work with all versions, but there seems to be a Max Kuester special for E81 E82 & E88. My Max Brose is brand new and never used in any car. I think i will install it and code with NCS Expert . Or should i sell it and buy the right one?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 04:28 PM   #13
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
FYI incase anyone needs for ref
The xenon retrofit kit for UK and maybe others ( no headlights) part# 63130443692
Attached Images
File Type: pdf xenon.pdf (790.2 KB, 6530 views)

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 06:00 PM   #14
M4cs_Dan
Rep
Drives: M4cs

Hi Kore,

I just bought the same car as you. BMW 120d E81 and it has the halogen headlights. I have just purchased brand new LCI OEM Bi Xenon Angel Eyes. I have the self levellers, and ballasts. Could you please help me with what modifications I would have to make to the car to install these.

Thanks,

Kind regards
Appreciate 0