BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-23-2011, 12:02 AM   #1
jamie885
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 120i

Water in passenger floor

This morning I noticed a bad smell inside the car now it's been raining here for a few days and i've had the a/c on.

I noticed the passenger floor is saturated on the outer side (next to the door not the transmission) its only on the floor and it doesnt run up the side of the carpet.

I am really concerned about this nothing else is wet.

any ideas where I should look
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 08:43 AM   #2
m_thompson
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M-Sport 128i, 328xi, 3.0CS

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
1972 3.0CS  [10.00]
There is a bulletin on misaligned condensate drains for the A/C unit that will leak water under the carpet. I am not sure what years this applies to.

Mine had clogged sunroof drains and had a lot of water on the passenger floor after a heavy rain.
      11-25-2011, 04:33 PM   #3
Malthusian
Instructor
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_thompson View Post
There is a bulletin on misaligned condensate drains for the A/C unit that will leak water under the carpet. .
Do you have a link or transcript from that bulletin?
I have a water stain on the passenger side under the floor mat -- it's all the way toward the door right where the flat floor bottom angles up under the dash. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 10:03 AM   #4
Uomo del monte
Rep
Drives: 123d E81

I got a similar problem, water soaked the rear bench.
not an AC issue at all, I had to lift up the car and remove caps from the frame rails and water started to drain out... never placed them back and never had the problem again
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2012, 01:21 AM   #5
Ekremdeli
Rep
Drives: Bmw 130i

I think i have the same problem to. When i go in the carwash then i see water coming under my dash on the passenger floor . ?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 07:39 AM   #6
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie885
This morning I noticed a bad smell inside the car now it's been raining here for a few days and i've had the a/c on.

I noticed the passenger floor is saturated on the outer side (next to the door not the transmission) its only on the floor and it doesnt run up the side of the carpet.

Had your windshield replaced? Check that the cowling under the wipers is tight and that you ant lift it up at all on the passengers side. I've seen a lot of windshields not done properly and water poor straight down the glass into the blower motor opening and from there right on to your floorboard. There should be a seal that links the cowling to the glass, if it's not right thats your issue. Also could be out of place if it was removed for other mechanical repairs such as a valve core gasket replacement.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2013, 01:46 PM   #7
CRuben09
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie885

Sorry for reviving this old thread but I've been confronting this same issue for the past two weeks. It kind of bother.

The whole passenger floor gets soaking wet anytime I use the a/c for half and hour or plus.

My car is a 2011 135i with 28,000 miles built on 10/10.

2011 135i Alpine White DCT N55 All Stock
Built on 10/10 Proud owner since 12/12.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2015, 03:31 PM   #8
Kankles
Rear Admiral
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bavarian Milk Wagon

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
My wife's e87 had water in the floor issues, but only after heavy rains. Wasn't the AC obviously, it ended up being the liner sealant detaching inside the passenger door. I cleaned out the rain gutters among other things and could never get it to stop leaking. Finally had BMW fix it at one of the services.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2015, 03:51 PM   #9
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillbilly View Post
My wife's e87 had water in the floor issues, but only after heavy rains. Wasn't the AC obviously, it ended up being the liner sealant detaching inside the passenger door. I cleaned out the rain gutters among other things and could never get it to stop leaking. Finally had BMW fix it at one of the services.
You mean the drain holes under the door. When you open the door, you can feel or look under it for these drain holes. Sometimes dirt can make its way inside the door, and clog up these drains. Also wax from the rust proofing process can melt in hot climates and cause the drains to seal up.

I guess you were referring to the water barrier seal between the inner door panel and the door. ?

Dack
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 02:34 AM   #10
Kankles
Rear Admiral
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bavarian Milk Wagon

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
You mean the drain holes under the door. When you open the door, you can feel or look under it for these drain holes. Sometimes dirt can make its way inside the door, and clog up these drains. Also wax from the rust proofing process can melt in hot climates and cause the drains to seal up.

I guess you were referring to the water barrier seal between the inner door panel and the door. ?

Dack
Dack, exactly. A buddy with an E90 had the same issue and resealed it himself. Both leaking cars no longer leak. I made sure to pull up the passenger carpet and clean everything good as well to keep that "mildewy" smell away.
Appreciate 1