BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-12-2012, 03:47 PM   #23
flzrider
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

When I changed the tranny fluid a couple weeks ago I drove the rear of the car up onto plastic ramps (these: http://www.amazon.com/Blitz-11903-Rh.../dp/B000AMMN9O). I then used 2 regular jacks on the left/right front/side jack pads and made it level. Once level, I placed a bottle jack onto the front/center jack pad as a safety in case either of the 2 on the side failed. I also placed some jack stands I had laying around right next to the jack stands on the side for extra safety.

I don't mind getting underneath a lifted car if there is 2 or 3 layers of safety.
      01-12-2012, 08:36 PM   #24
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by flzrider View Post
When I changed the tranny fluid a couple weeks ago I drove the rear of the car up onto plastic ramps (these: http://www.amazon.com/Blitz-11903-Rh.../dp/B000AMMN9O). I then used 2 regular jacks on the left/right front/side jack pads and made it level. Once level, I placed a bottle jack onto the front/center jack pad as a safety in case either of the 2 on the side failed. I also placed some jack stands I had laying around right next to the jack stands on the side for extra safety.

I don't mind getting underneath a lifted car if there is 2 or 3 layers of safety.
Do you think that there'd be enough space to get a jack under the center jack point with the rear wheels up on ramps? Those Amazon reviews suggest that the ramps don't grip the pavement very well and tend to ... launch. Any such tendencies that you've noticed?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 08:24 AM   #25
Snertz
H O O N
United_States
Rep
Drives: ein M!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCP M3 View Post
I've never found a way to get a jack past the diff cover and raise it on the actual diff. If you have a jack that can do that, more power to you!

I've resorted to raising the car via the control arms as well and it'll work, just be careful and make sure the jack isn't going to slide up/down the arm.
I guess I just lucked out with the jack that I linked, it's a really tight fit. Only worked at stock ride height though, on my old car I had to drive onto 2x4's just to be able to get the jack underneath any of the points.

U WOT M8?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 08:27 AM   #26
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
Do you think that there'd be enough space to get a jack under the center jack point with the rear wheels up on ramps? Those Amazon reviews suggest that the ramps don't grip the pavement very well and tend to ... launch. Any such tendencies that you've noticed?
I lay down some 2 X 6 boards on the floor between my garage wall and the back of the ramps. That way the ramps can't slide when I drive up onto them.

I also lay down a short peice of board (maybe 2') in front of the ramp so I can get my car up on them without scraping the front bumper.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 09:33 AM   #27
Snertz
H O O N
United_States
Rep
Drives: ein M!

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=632872

Good DIY alternative for ramps

U WOT M8?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 09:45 AM   #28
hollysmac
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Bmw 228xi Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCP M3 View Post
Don't jack it on the diff! That's an aluminum cover and you will bend or break off the fins.

Jack it from the four rubber pucks on the corners.
O agree, it takes a little bit longer but you will not ruin anything.That Diff is too expensive to ruin. I can get one whole side up with my aluminum Lonacre jack that i use for track & autox tire changing. With 4 jack stands you could do it one side at a time. Make sure you get very stable good jack stands.

Holly
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 10:32 AM   #29
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:

IF you are going to use car ramps... get some rubber mats to lay between the ramps and your garage floor. So the ramp(s) stay put. Otherwise they might shoot out as your car starts to climb up the ramps. Those Rhino Ramps are pretty good. I have friends to like them very much.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 10:33 AM   #30
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

Hollysmac- Do you jack up using a control arm in order to get the jackstands in on one side?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 10:44 AM   #31
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

I typically jack my car up with a jack.

Although I have jacked up a Land Rover by throwing the tow line over a big tree limb and starting up the winch. Although I dont see this technique working on a 1 series.

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 02:38 PM   #32
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

I think that at this point I'm leaning towards a combination of 67" Race Ramps, Esco jackstands, and Costco Arcan low-profile jack. Life was less complicated before the 1M ...
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 02:54 PM   #33
hollysmac
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Bmw 228xi Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Hollysmac- Do you jack up using a control arm in order to get the jackstands in on one side?
No I use the rear Jack points on the side. I think our control arms are aluminum.Frankly I'd be wary of using anything else but the Jack points. My jack is a 6 pump race jack that I bought 15 years ago before the cheap copies came out. Since I am a not too young female I needed a light jack that uses few pumps and can be lifted into my tool box on my track trailer. The typical shop jack is way to heavy for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 08:18 PM   #34
flzrider
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao
Quote:
Originally Posted by flzrider View Post

Yea the ramps definitely do like to slide around on my smooth concrete garage floors. This is easily solved by putting a layer of carpet or anything else that will increase the grip between the floor and the bottom of the ramps.
      01-14-2012, 08:58 PM   #35
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
I typically jack my car up with a jack.

Although I have jacked up a Land Rover by throwing the tow line over a big tree limb and starting up the winch. Although I dont see this technique working on a 1 series.
It looks like the 1M does not as good a spot in the rear as the 128/135i.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 12:44 AM   #36
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
My new house will have a garage bay with 2 story ceiling height and proper level floor for a 2-post lift. Woot! 18 months away though.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 06:25 PM   #37
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

Finally got my 1M off the ground today

Just to add to the Borg Collective, I finally got the 1M up in the air today.

I can't remember the specific thread this was described, but I followed the following steps:

Materials:
1. ESCO flat top jackstands x 4
2. Costco Arcan 3.5 ton low profile jack
3. Burger motorsports jack stand adapter

Method:
1. Jack up using front side jack point and adapter
2. Put jackstand under rear jack point
3. Jack up the other front side using adapter
4. Jackstand under other rear jack point
5. Jack up using front center jack point
6. Jackstands under both front jack points

Took even a jack-iss like me only about 5-10 minutes to do the whole thing. To get the car down, just reverse the procedure.
Appreciate 1
      03-11-2012, 08:08 PM   #38
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

ayao's method is sound. It is also fairly simple to roll up on a 2x4 so you can use the center front jacking point. I can get my cheap harbor freight jack under the differential to lift the back. I have a wood block on the jack so it doesn't scratch the differential. I jack on the differential, not the cover, as BMW recommends. I made blocks of 3/4 baltic birch plywood to fit the side jacking points. My inexpensive harbor freight jackstands have relatively large openings so I glued on another piece of plywood to span that opening of the stands.

Harbor freight jacks work fine but can be balky coming down. If you want a really nice jack, griot's has one for $449 that I've seen good reviews of. A jack and stands from harbor freight would be about $100.

Jim
      03-11-2012, 08:17 PM   #39
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Quote:

I can't remember the specific thread this was described, but I followed the following steps:

Materials:

Method:

Took even a jack-iss like me only about 5-10 minutes to do the whole thing. To get the car down, just reverse the procedure.
How do you keep the jackstand from crushing or breaking the plastic jacking point? Is the pad on top of the jackstand enough?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 08:52 PM   #40
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
How do you keep the jackstand from crushing or breaking the plastic jacking point? Is the pad on top of the jackstand enough?
The rubber pad on the jackstand seems reasonably substantial. I initially thought I'd need 4 jackpoint adapters ($), but the jackpoints don't seem damaged at all. In fact the jackstand rubber pads had residual rectangular-shaped indentations corresponding to the plastic jackpoints.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 11:22 AM   #41
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
They will get crushed. I've had my car in the 1/2 dozen times now and the left rear looks the worst. Its the first one to get a jack stand under it and takes the brunt of the abuse. All of them are starting to look worse for wear though. Don't have a good solution for you on this.

EDIT: Sorry this is using my traditional style V type jackstands. Flat topped stands will probably do a lot better. The ESCO's mentioned above are truly top shelf stands and if you don't mind the investment they are worth the cost.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 12:05 PM   #42
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertm View Post
They will get crushed. I've had my car in the 1/2 dozen times now and the left rear looks the worst. Its the first one to get a jack stand under it and takes the brunt of the abuse. All of them are starting to look worse for wear though. Don't have a good solution for you on this.

EDIT: Sorry this is using my traditional style V type jackstands. Flat topped stands will probably do a lot better. The ESCO's mentioned above are truly top shelf stands and if you don't mind the investment they are worth the cost.
Yeah, that's why I was initially leaning towards 4 jackstand adapters but that just seemed excessive in principle. It doesn't look like any other forums have come up with solutions, either -- everyone pretty much agrees that it's just not great design. FWIW replacement jackpoints can be had for ~ $10/corner.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 11:33 PM   #43
///BYU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Materials:

Method:

Thanks for sharing this!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 10:32 PM   #44
LeMansM5
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Anyone know what brand jacks are these and how much they cost?

Appreciate 0