BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-21-2013, 01:24 AM   #23
_Ryan_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E87 130i

Garage List
2005 BMW 130i  [5.24]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burak View Post
No PnP in the market as far as I know.

BTW, don't buy the LCI taillights that' are not suitable for your vehicle. There are 2 kinds of LCI taillights.

LEDs are installed on cars with front Xenons.
Non-LEDs are installed on cars with standard front halogens.
minor wiring pin changes are OK.

So those with LED should work on a pre-LCI that has Xenons with just the pin changes?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 07:36 AM   #24
Burak
Turkey
Rep
Drives: E87 120d

Garage List
2005 BMW 120d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ryan_ View Post
minor wiring pin changes are OK.

So those with LED should work on a pre-LCI that has Xenons with just the pin changes?
You also need to add a 6th wire (to the empty pin hole) and connect it to a power source like plate lightning cables etc. Otherwise LED's won't work.

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 07:55 PM   #25
bradyjoh
Rep
Drives: BMW E87

Hey guys, I'm new around here after just having picked up my e87 a few weeks ago. Just wondering, what is the problem of using the LED LCI tail lights in a E87 without factory xenon headlights? I can't seem to find "non-LED" lci tail lights?
Cheers
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2013, 04:36 PM   #26
Burak
Turkey
Rep
Drives: E87 120d

Garage List
2005 BMW 120d  [0.00]
Probably with the wiring modification you'll manage to get them work but you'll never get them coded.

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2013, 11:14 PM   #27
bradyjoh
Rep
Drives: BMW E87

I've read somewhere else that if you upgrade the headlights as well (which I was planning on doing first anyway) to the xenon headlights and get them coded both will work as normal. Is that right?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 05:04 AM   #28
acosuper
Registered
Rep
Drives: 120d e87

Post How to code

Just add +MUEB to your FA VO . After adding write FA to CAS and FRM. After that do the SG CODIREN to your FRM and it will automatically code your FRM to new LCI LED and it will turn off both lights and only led stripes will shine. Also to know the brake light will appear and fog light also when you press the brake or turn on fog lights. I already did that and it works fine.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 04:56 PM   #29
walkie86
Frog Lover
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2006 E87 130i

Just wanted to add an update to this thread and thank the OP for the guide at the start.

Finally got around to adding some wiring and powering the LED bars of my LCI lights properly yesterday. Massive thanks to Wes (hks200) who did all the work!

We followed the thread on here and the German thread mentioned on there too, so it was all pretty straight forward. Certainly helps to have the right equipment, as Wes did from his days mucking around with car audio installs.

So, parts I bought for the install:
- secondhand tail light socket housing with 20cm wires and OEM spade connectors (something like this)
- 3m of 0.9mm diameter wire from Jaycar (have a fair bit left over - probably only need 1.5m. The other thread suggested 0.7mm but they didn't have any so I went larger).
- blue wire taps from Jaycar

Process:

- Follow the German thread (do a google translate), as it covers everything

- Remove all the necessary trim

- Measure wire from passenger side, strip ends of OEM wire from housing and new wire, solder together and tape.

Untitled by autofocus .net.au, on Flickr

- Fit new wire into socket housing. In this photo, the black wire is the new one (4th hole)

- Route new wire behind trim and along base/edge of boot floor. Cut wire to required length.

- The loose red wire below is the new one. You can see the blue wire tap to the number plate wire (there are 2x grey with brown stripe). Don't worry, we taped the new wire down so it's all neat and tidy.

- With the wire tap, we had to strip a little plastic off the number plate wire and the end of the new tail light wire to get good contact

- Repeat same procedure for driver's side, except this new wire only needs to be about 20cm long. We decided to use the second number plate light for the second tail light, to spread the load but I have read of others just using the one wire tap for both.

- Result

Now, just need some coding done to turn off 'parkers' and leave LED bars on.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 02:41 AM   #30
Murphy8
Rep
Drives: 128i coupe

I am in need of your help. I have scoured & read every thread on the 128i Halogen vs Xenon taillights. I have a 2012 128i with Halogen headlights. My taillights I have no clue what they are but the LED line does not Turn on. I've read that your can jump wires if you have a certain Taillight to turn it on & have the lights display the LED Line like the picture you posted. If this is possible, how do I accomplish this. I appreciate any help & thank you again!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 03:39 PM   #31
canuzi
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i

Hello everyone. I'm about to get my Valeo LED tail lights for my E87 too and never been so excited.

I'm here to tell you guys something I've heard about this topic and learn if it's true or not.
I have 118i (2008) and a friend of mine who is in car business and has done an E87 project said this:
If your car is 2008 or younger, it probably has 6 pin at the tail light connector which is the same as 2011 and will work perfectly with the LED tail lights. Before 2008, there were 4 pins and it needs some electrician work to get it work properly.

Here is mine (I believe it's 6 pins unless the connector he's talking about is somewhere else):
View post on imgur.com

Do you know anything about this?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 09:36 AM   #32
Josephbmwe87
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i ES

Smile

Hey looking to do something like this with mine. Mine shows on realm as LCI but it is build June 07 which falls a little weird in between the March to September 07 conversion. Could anyone advise what wiring modification(s) would work with mine. my last 7 digits of VIN are PB28213 if anyone would be so kind! Thank you
Appreciate 0