BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-28-2012, 07:40 PM   #1
myr6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

JB4 (N55)issue

Hi,

I am new to this place, Just wondering did anyone have any kinda issue with JB4 (N55) I would love to have this install asap.

Thanks for all the help !!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 08:55 AM   #2
ipitythefoo
III II VIII XI
Rep
Drives: 2013 328xi Sport Line

After installing JB4, I noticed a few things:

1) When I'm near a stop sign (not completely stopped), if I accelerate the car jerks (sometime, not often)
2) When I'm waiting to turn left/right in an intersection, gas pedal seems unresponsive (car wouldn't move) and when I give it a bit more gas I will get some wheel spin (once again, this only happens occasionally)
3) Sometimes at low speed (stuck in traffic), car will jerk and I have a feeling that the ECU is confused when to upshift/downshift (I drive DCT/auto)
4) Happened a few times but when I'm driving, the speedometer and rpm needle will do a full sweep and I hear a click sound that sounds like something has been reset.. (happened just a few times after I got the JB4)
5) A pain to install/remove.. I listened to some forum members who suggested setting map to map 0 (stock) and just take the car in for service.. Dealer made a note on my receipt saying "JB4 is installed in this vehicle", fml...

I drive a 2011 135i DCT btw.
      08-29-2012, 09:21 AM   #3
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F32 Coupé

Garage List
1) Developed a stalling problem.

2) Got Limp Mode several times.

3) More than once it threw over 40 codes in one go.

4) Developed a stutter under acceleration - felt like a misfire.

5) I also had the gauge sweep thing - as soon as I installed the JB4. Burger Tuning told me it was the JB4 resetting itself. I had it set to disable my Traction Control on startup so every time it reset it would switch the traction control back on. This once happened while I was going round a corner quite fast. Not fun.

All of this stopped as soon as I removed it and have had no problems since.

Burger Tuning did not respond to the emails I sent them with anything remotely helpful. Mike at N54 didn't respond at all when I emailed him about it.

Go for the JB3. It's the same power and doesn't touch the ECU. My JB3 was flawless. I'll be putting that back in after my next service.

(I also have a 2011 DCT)

Last edited by Harlequin; 08-29-2012 at 09:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 10:26 AM   #4
myr6
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
1) Developed a stalling problem.

2) Got Limp Mode several times.

3) More than once it threw over 40 codes in one go.

4) Developed a stutter under acceleration - felt like a misfire.

5) I also had the gauge sweep thing - as soon as I installed the JB4. Burger Tuning told me it was the JB4 resetting itself. I had it set to disable my Traction Control on startup so every time it reset it would switch the traction control back on. This once happened while I was going round a corner quite fast. Not fun.

All of this stopped as soon as I removed it and have had no problems since.

Burger Tuning did not respond to the emails I sent them with anything remotely helpful. Mike at N54 didn't respond at all when I emailed him about it.

Go for the JB3. It's the same power and doesn't touch the ECU. My JB3 was flawless. I'll be putting that back in after my next service.

(I also have a 2011 DCT)
Thanks for the reply! . I Can't install JB3 because I have N55, dont think JB3 works for N55
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 10:32 AM   #5
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F32 Coupé

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by myr6 View Post
Thanks for the reply! . I Can't install JB3 because I have N55, dont think JB3 works for N55
MINE'S and N55. I had the JB3 for 12 months before the JB4 was released and upgraded straight away.

I've got it sitting in my garage right now and it's going back on after the service...

Maybe Burger don't sell them anymore but they're definitely out there... (If you read my previous post you'd see I mentioned that at the end)
      08-29-2012, 03:22 PM   #6
myr6
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin
Quote:
Originally Posted by myr6 View Post
MINE'S and N55. I had the JB3 for 12 months before the JB4 was released and upgraded straight away.

I've got it sitting in my garage right now and it's going back on after the service...

Maybe Burger don't sell them anymore but they're definitely out there... (If you read my previous post you'd see I mentioned that at the end)
Keep my finger cross hope jb4 don't get me any issue XD
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 10:25 PM   #7
Kcc
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels with a turbo

Gauge Sweep as a few post here have mentioned. Happened 20+ times once on highway with jerking (limp mode?) at 100km/hr.

Limp mode / misfire the first 3 weeks of installation.

5th and/or 6th gear at highway around 100km/hr, i could feel the car with very slight boost going up and down...don't know how to explain...

After a month of installation, every problem has been gone, only happened once with gauge sweep and boost going up and down is still there. But no more misfire/limp mode.

Edit: 2011 135i 6MT, bought the JB4 used.

Kcc
      08-30-2012, 03:07 PM   #8
myr6
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcc View Post
Gauge Sweep as a few post here have mentioned. Happened 20+ times once on highway with jerking (limp mode?) at 100km/hr.

Limp mode / misfire the first 3 weeks of installation.

5th and/or 6th gear at highway around 100km/hr, i could feel the car with very slight boost going up and down...don't know how to explain...

After a month of installation, every problem has been gone, only happened once with gauge sweep and boost going up and down is still there. But no more misfire/limp mode.

Edit: 2011 135i 6MT, bought the JB4 used.

Kcc
Thanks for the info.
I just had my installed yesterday by Mike really nice guy!
so far so good Love the power. the only problem was after I updated the firware forgot to reset the defult setting so the gagues hijack was acting funny.
Appreciate 0