BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-22-2012, 09:55 AM   #1
The Lad
Rep
Drives: '06 BMW 130i

130i Weirdness

Hey all,

This is something I'm going to ask my mechanic about but I thought I'd raise the discussion here beforehand and see if anyone here might know what I'm talking about.

I bought my E87 about 6 months ago and I've had it in for an oil change service during that time and all in all I've had no issues with her. It's currently sitting on 121 000km on the odo and the motor is still smooth as silk. When I first test drove it, one of the first things I noticed about the N52 is the awesome throttle response. If I just tap the accelerator, there's a quick "blip" kinda thing that happens and it settles into a deep idle

There's something I started noticing about 3 weeks into my ownership (which never showed up while I was still considering buying it, typical...) is every once in a while - and honestly, I'm talking like once every two weeks - it seems to go into a sort of "limp" mode:

* When I tap the accelerator, instead of the usual "blip" into idle, the revs seem to crawl up briefly, then slowly drop down to an idle

* I don't seem to lose power as such, but the throttle response isn't as aggressive e.g. where as usually, if I'm in fourth gear around 2500rpm and I floor the accelerator, it has no problem getting up to speed. Now it takes a little bit longer to get there. But (when it's in this "mood"), if I get the revs up and drive hard, it seems to accelerate at the same sort of rate as normal

* When I notice this behavior, I roll down my window and when I tap the accelerator, I hear some sort of suction noise coming from under the car - almost how a performance cone filter would sound

Does anyone have any ideas what the problem might be? Since it hardly ever happens, I forgot to even mention it when it went in for a service and there's nothing I can do to try instigate it, it just seems to pop up every now and then.

Weird...

Last edited by The Lad; 01-07-2013 at 08:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 03:52 PM   #2
Missy101
Rep
Drives: 130i

Hi
Just joined this site and noticed your post. i recently collected my 130i and noticed after a few days it doing exactly the same thing one morning. instead of climbing revs and dropping revs at its normal speed the car would make a sucking noise and slowly rev.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 08:13 AM   #3
The Lad
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy101 View Post
Hi
Just joined this site and noticed your post. i recently collected my 130i and noticed after a few days it doing exactly the same thing one morning. instead of climbing revs and dropping revs at its normal speed the car would make a sucking noise and slowly rev.
Thanks for the reply.
Yeh, it's really odd but it's in no way debilitating. The car runs tip top other than this, it's actually more of an annoyance when it does happen though (which isn't THAT often).

Can anybody else shed some light on this? The onboard diagnostics are all happy and as far as I can tell, the motor is running great.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 03:39 PM   #4
chrisko
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Garage List
Not too sure, this may be way off but have you tried cleaning your air filters/intake?

2022 X3 M Comp | (SOLD)

2016 M3 | AWE Switchpath Diamond Black 102mm (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 04:54 AM   #5
The Lad
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisko View Post
Not too sure, this may be way off but have you tried cleaning your air filters/intake?
Hey Chrisko,

Well, it's first service (in my possession) was about 4 months ago. They replaced the air filter at the time, and in fact I installed a replacement K&N (E-2022) filter last month and this thing still shows up every now and then. The actual intake hasn't been looked at though, no, but I understand your thought process.

Strange thing is, that "suction" noise seems to be coming from underneath the car - which could be related to the exhaust somehow - but I'm not sure
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 07:37 AM   #6
chrisko
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lad View Post
Hey Chrisko,

Well, it's first service (in my possession) was about 4 months ago. They replaced the air filter at the time, and in fact I installed a replacement K&N (E-2022) filter last month and this thing still shows up every now and then. The actual intake hasn't been looked at though, no, but I understand your thought process.

Strange thing is, that "suction" noise seems to be coming from underneath the car - which could be related to the exhaust somehow - but I'm not sure
It's probably not the intake then.

The sound coming from underneath could just be resonating so it's hard to pinpoint it unless you can open the hood and have someone look in while you rev? Not sure if it only happens while driving but if revving can reproduce that sound, I recommend doing that.

It could be so many things, but it definitely sounds like an air leak. It could honestly be some tubing to your BPV, which can explain all the symptoms. But you'd probably be stalling out as well.

2022 X3 M Comp | (SOLD)

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 11:49 AM   #7
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

Vacuum lines or something like that...

Also search and read about DISA...

And last throttle body maybe needs some cleaning, after that adaption reset...

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 05:01 PM   #8
chrisko
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RimasRS View Post
Vacuum lines or something like that...

Also search and read about DISA...

And last throttle body maybe needs some cleaning, after that adaption reset...

Good luck
Ah, that reminds me it can also be the throttle body! My subaru had similar issues related to that. But it wouldn't explain the sound, my vote is on a vacuum line. Or maybe unluckily both?

2022 X3 M Comp | (SOLD)

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 08:18 PM   #9
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
In South Africa a user had an issue with a faulty throttle pedal. Mentioning incase other leads show no help

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 01:15 AM   #10
The Lad
Rep

Thanks all for your input.
These all sound like potential issues, I guess I just don't understand why it comes and goes the way it does. I better just get it into the workshop. The only problem I have is, I hope it actually rears its ugly head when it does go in so I can show my mechanic what I'm actually talking about! That's why I just wanted to go armed with some potential causes so, once again, thanks everyone for the feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey_gta View Post
In South Africa a user had an issue with a faulty throttle pedal. Mentioning incase other leads show no help
I didn't even consider that, but I suppose anything's possible. I'm based in ZA as well, I wonder how common this problem is here. Could be the way we drive, BMW drivers have got a bad reputation for being the most aggressive on our roads haha
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 07:33 AM   #11
chrisko
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks all for your input.
These all sound like potential issues, I guess I just don't understand why it comes and goes the way it does. I better just get it into the workshop. The only problem I have is, I hope it actually rears its ugly head when it does go in so I can show my mechanic what I'm actually talking about! That's why I just wanted to go armed with some potential causes so, once again, thanks everyone for the feedback

I didn't even consider that, but I suppose anything's possible. I'm based in ZA as well, I wonder how common this problem is here. Could be the way we drive, BMW drivers have got a bad reputation for being the most aggressive on our roads haha
What I used to do with intermittent issues is make a video of it, as clear as I can make it. Then I'd show my mechanic when I go to the shop so they don't have to waste their time and my time trying to reproduce the issue.

2022 X3 M Comp | (SOLD)

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 05:45 AM   #12
Kirst
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BSM e82 135i

Sounds like its your throttle

The throttle learns a bit, depending on how you've been driving it'll "go limp" but driving hard does fix it
If that makes sense
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 07:53 AM   #13
The Lad
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWlady View Post
Sounds like its your throttle

The throttle learns a bit, depending on how you've been driving it'll "go limp" but driving hard does fix it
If that makes sense
Really?! I've heard of cars "learning" driving styles, but do you really think this is related?
When I first picked it up, it was running at about 16.8L/100km and I've managed to get it down to 11.8 Possibly related, who knows...

I still haven't done anything about this yet but I'll keep this thread posted when I eventually have it checked out...
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 06:45 AM   #14
ahmed_fawzy
President
Egypt
Rep
Drives: MR/FR e92 M3 6MT

Garage List
2008 M3 CP  [0.00]
I have a e87 130i too and have the same problem. Its the valvetronic going bad. Its common on these engines i didnt replace mine yet cuz it goes away after restarting the car.

E92 M3 Melbourne Red/Fox Red Ext.'08 M Driver's Pack-E87 130i Titanium Silver/Black '07
E63 M6 Indianapolis Red/Champagne Full '05
SOLD:E46 M3 Imola Red/Cloth/Black '01-E39 M5 Blue Water/Grey/Black '99-E36 M3 Dakar Yellow/Black '96-E36 M3 Hell Red/Black '93
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 12:18 AM   #15
The Lad
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmed_fawzy View Post
I have a e87 130i too and have the same problem. Its the valvetronic going bad. Its common on these engines i didnt replace mine yet cuz it goes away after restarting the car.
Can anybody else expand on this?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 02:51 AM   #16
The Lad
Rep

I found a whole bunch of articles about resetting the "Throttle Adaptation". There were a few different methods but I'm not sure I noticed much of a difference to be honest.

Does anybody know, firstly, if a (manual) 2006 E87 130i has throttle adaptation? And do you have any solid - known to work - method of resetting it?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 02:54 PM   #17
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 MSport

The Lad, I have a 2007 130i as well, it has 74K kms on the odometer and never had this issue. The only rare thing that I can share with you is that "sometimes" when I run it hard, when I stop later, the idle seems to be not as idle at it's supposed to be. I mean, the rpms stay almost at 1K for like 30-60 seconds.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 05:14 AM   #18
Kirst
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BSM e82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lad
I found a whole bunch of articles about resetting the "Throttle Adaptation". There were a few different methods but I'm not sure I noticed much of a difference to be honest.

Does anybody know, firstly, if a (manual) 2006 E87 130i has throttle adaptation? And do you have any solid - known to work - method of resetting it?
Yes it does
And
Ask flinchey he owns that exact model

It has a similar adaptation to what the e46s had
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 06:18 AM   #19
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
ahmed_fawzy

Quote:
Can anybody else expand on this?
IF you read the fault memory IF one of your VANOS sensors was bad it would show a fault. When they really start to fail - you should also get an CEL too.

My bet is more on worn spark plugs or a vacuum leak. The valve cover or oil cap is a prime source to look at. Could be also things like carbon buildup or sludge inside of the DISA valve/intake tract.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 12:42 PM   #20
The Lad
Rep

Awesome, thanks. I'm not convinced there's something wrong with the motor itself, and this puts my mind at ease a little bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
IF you read the fault memory IF one of your VANOS sensors was bad it would show a fault.
Please help me find the fault memory, is that part of the "hidden" menus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
When they really start to fail - you should also get an CEL too.
As in "check engine" light? As far as I can tell, the ECU is happy as pie. I've had no warnings, other than the regular service indicators.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 01:38 PM   #21
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Awesome, thanks. I'm not convinced there's something wrong with the motor itself, and this puts my mind at ease a little bit.
You need to get yourself a (good)code reader to know for sure. Some codes will throw an engine check light (or CEL = check engine light) and some do not(Shadow codes).

You can look on ebay for CAN/BUS code readers.

Bav-Tech makes the BT scan tool. It works well.
http://www.bavariantechnic.com/

Quote:
Please help me find the fault memory, is that part of the "hidden" menus?
No, it is the memory that the engine ECU(or DME) that stores engine fault codes when something goes wrong with the engine.

Quote:
As in "check engine" light? As far as I can tell, the ECU is happy as pie. I've had no warnings, other than the regular service indicators.
CEL = check engine light

Dack
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 05:57 PM   #22
bmrider
Registered
Rep
Drives: 130i

Hey guys new to the forum. First post yippee. I'm in London. I have the same spec 130i as The lad. I too have same problem. It driving me insane. It also causing higher fuel consumption. Few people have mentioned coil packs too. Don't want to throw away money so would like to get some idea of the issue. Did the lad sort it out. Or does anyone else have any thoughts. I have cleaned my solonoids too. Was ok for a few days them problem came back.
Appreciate 0