BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-28-2021, 11:11 PM   #1
StevieJ2
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

are all rotors the same diameter?

2011 135, has the larger caliper (pic below). don't know anything about these cars - seen there are different sized rotors listed on various websites and not sure which size to grab. Will be fine with oem or oem similar & just using upgraded pads.

Guy I bought it from thought it would be a good idea to replace the pads and never the rotors apparently, because it had new pads.

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 07:36 AM   #2
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

There is only one size of rotor on the 135i. You do have the option in the aftermarket to get either a solid steel rotor (cheaper, heavier), or the version with the aluminium hat like the factory rotor (more expensive, lighter).

That rotor actually looks aftermarket, I don't see the rivets for the aluminium hat.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 07:57 AM   #3
StevieJ2
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
There is only one size of rotor on the 135i. You do have the option in the aftermarket to get either a solid steel rotor (cheaper, heavier), or the version with the aluminium hat like the factory rotor (more expensive, lighter).

That rotor actually looks aftermarket, I don't see the rivets for the aluminium hat.
I'm pretty sure whatever brand it is, it was the cheapest one he could find. Guy was a moron, he even installed a $39 viper alarm system on the car on top of the factory alarm that works perfectly fine.... which was a complete pain in the ass to remove that cobbled up mess behind the dash.

Thanks for the info - will just be doing steel ones. I put a set of $2500 lightweight rotors on the tesla last year and it did absolutely nothing for handling or braking over the oem rotors with upgraded pads.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 09:19 AM   #4
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieJ2 View Post
Quote:

I'm pretty sure whatever brand it is, it was the cheapest one he could find. Guy was a moron, he even installed a $39 viper alarm system on the car on top of the factory alarm that works perfectly fine.... which was a complete pain in the ass to remove that cobbled up mess behind the dash.

Thanks for the info - will just be doing steel ones. I put a set of $2500 lightweight rotors on the tesla last year and it did absolutely nothing for handling or braking over the oem rotors with upgraded pads.
The aluminum hat version are only $50-$75 more.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 10:25 AM   #5
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieJ2 View Post

Can't imagine it would help much on a car that heavy.

Stick with oem 2pc rotors, theyre not expensive and last a long time. Unless budget is a big concern in which case do what your needs dictate of course.
      04-29-2021, 03:50 PM   #6
Thunderguts
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT

Quote:
The aluminum hat version are only $50-$75 more.
...AND they don't rust! Given how much water seems to get trapped between the wheel/rotor/hub, this is a huge plus. The hubs still rust like crazy, but at least they won't bond to the rotor. Forget performance, that alone is worth the cost.
Official BMWP Whore - BMWP suspension kit w/ M3 arms, BMWP big brake kit, BMWP intake w/Mishimoto tube, BMWP exhaust, BMWP carbon strut brace, BMWP short shifter, and BMWP carbon spoiler. OZ Leggera HLT w/ 245 square setup.

Appreciate 1
      04-29-2021, 10:50 PM   #7
StevieJ2
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderguts View Post
...AND they don't rust! Given how much water seems to get trapped between the wheel/rotor/hub, this is a huge plus. The hubs still rust like crazy, but at least they won't bond to the rotor. Forget performance, that alone is worth the cost.
Not that i'm getting the cheap ones, but rust is zero concern here in the desert.
Appreciate 0