BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-28-2014, 05:34 PM   #23
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by RimasRS View Post
There is also chain tensioneer hydraulic bolt which goes to engine from turbo side, another thing which should be serviced.
Yes, Rimas. But that tensioner will last a LONG time. Probably at least 100K miles. This is one more reason to change one's oil often. There are lots of little things in our engines that wear over time. Oil is way cheaper than pulling apart an engine for replacement of worn (chain tensioners or plastic chain ramps)parts.

Dack
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 05:56 PM   #24
RideThePigGir
Mr. Tinnitus
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10 BlueWaterMetallic 135 M-cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngrossi View Post
Well I'm local I could help you take a peek at it sometime this weekend if you'd like
I appreciate the offer and I might take you up on it. I'm taking it in next Friday for a few other things anyway, but if Motorwerks can't/won't find anything wrong and the noise continues, I'll get in touch
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 04:18 AM   #25
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Yes, Rimas. But that tensioner will last a LONG time. Probably at least 100K miles. This is one more reason to change one's oil often. There are lots of little things in our engines that wear over time. Oil is way cheaper than pulling apart an engine for replacement of worn (chain tensioners or plastic chain ramps)parts.

Dack
Totaly agree... Talking about oil what is your thoughts about lique molly 0w40 also ceratec additive?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 06:10 AM   #26
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by RimasRS View Post
Totaly agree... Talking about oil what is your thoughts about lique molly 0w40 also ceratec additive?
Well... bmw says not to use any additives.

In my old e36 I bought it with 100kms on it and the Germans don't change their oil that often. Probably like once every year or so. The car was loved but not that loves. So... I use to use this LM Ceratec stuff when I change the oil using Mobil1 0w40. It helped cover up a cylinderhead tick. But it only would work for about 6K kms or so. Not for the entire 10K oil change interval I was going with back then. The ticking would always come back. I stopped using it after a few oil changes(five times). But I continued to drive that car until it had 236K kms.

A good German friend of mine who knows a lot about cars says that LM stuff is really bad. IDK. He says its cheap oil made in Germany. I know the company is almost insolvent. He says he only uses Shell Helix(Porsche spec) or Mobil1 oils. But he is a Porsche guy.

I think just using Castrol oil with out any additives makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 06:07 PM   #27
RideThePigGir
Mr. Tinnitus
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10 BlueWaterMetallic 135 M-cpe

Well, finally got the car into the dealership (44 miles before 50k - fuckyeah.jpg) and yeah, the engine's just fine. Aside from the squeaky brakes and loose headlight enclosure bolts, they couldn't find a single thing else wrong with the car. They even did the oil change for free under the 4-year/50k maintenance and discovered a powertrain CPO through 75k!

For anybody else in the Chicago 'burbs, don't hesitate to hit up MotorWerks - they're like a fine wine, getting better with age =)
Appreciate 0