BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-21-2014, 09:55 PM   #1
nearlydigital
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Question How do I do this? Engine code, but need to remove JB4 before dealer visit?

Hi all, I have an CEL on and engine code pulled: "29CD Misfirings, cylinder 1"

I need to take it in to the dealer to get this... and a few other things dealt with, including a recall item. I'm CPO.

I've not brought my car in after the JB4 install. If I revert to stock, it would seem appropriate to clear tuner codes (overboost, etc). In doing that, however, I clear the code that the dealer needs to see in order to deal with my issue.

How might I approach this?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 12:00 AM   #2
Rob Daman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

if it's a legit problem the code would return even after clearing it.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 12:10 AM   #3
luv135i
Major
Rep
Drives: White

Check the codes and see if it even threw a tuner code.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 10:15 AM   #4
nearlydigital
Private
Canada
Rep

@ Luv135i The only code it has pulled, according to jb4 software, is the misfire. Is that it then? I rather figured there was other information I could not see.

@ Rob ... the code is periodic and somewhat infrequent (yet oddly consistent geographically). It doesn't happen very often at all, but when it does, the car goes into horrible run like shite mode.

Should I just leave it then and not clear the codes?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 10:42 AM   #5
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Do this, set the JB4 to stock power levels through the steering wheel and try to replicate the misfire. If you can then turn the car off and follow these steps to uninstall:

Turn on the ignition
Set the JB4 to map 0
Clear the codes through the steering wheel
Turn off the car get out and lock the doors
Pull the negative lead on the battery and then uninstall the JB4. (obviously have your trunk open before you lock the doors...)

Good luck!
      03-22-2014, 11:00 AM   #6
nearlydigital
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
Do this, set the JB4 to stock power levels through the steering wheel and try to replicate the misfire. If you can then turn the car off and follow these steps to uninstall:

Turn on the ignition
Set the JB4 to map 0
Clear the codes through the steering wheel
Turn off the car get out and lock the doors
Pull the negative lead on the battery and then uninstall the JB4. (obviously have your trunk open before you lock the doors...)

Good luck!
I'm confused about how this helps. I wanted to leave the code on so the dealer could witness it, but you are telling me to clear the codes and uninstall. Obviously I can do this, but my post was about not doing this, necessarily. Are you saying, set to stock levels just to test whether I can reproduce the code, clear and install, then reproduce the code and go to dealer? It might take some time for the code to generate again.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 11:21 AM   #7
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearlydigital View Post
Are you saying, set to stock levels just to test whether I can reproduce the code, clear and install, then reproduce the code and go to dealer? It might take some time for the code to generate again.
You are correct. You can certainly just go to the dealer, however your mileage may vary with how much they like the fact that you have the JB4 installed. My bet is it won't go well for your CPO engine/turbo coverage.
      03-22-2014, 11:25 AM   #8
nearlydigital
Private
Canada
Rep

That's why I wish to remove the JB4.

I would really like to confirm here if I can remove the JB4, and NOT clear that code... but understand whether or not there are other hidden codes that I have not "cleared".
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 01:23 PM   #9
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearlydigital View Post
That's why I wish to remove the JB4.

I would really like to confirm here if I can remove the JB4, and NOT clear that code... but understand whether or not there are other hidden codes that I have not "cleared".
You can not. Even if for some reason there wasn't a shadow code thrown for the tune, the tech or even SA/CA can find it easily if curious by activating the steering wheel controls. My SA called it prpfessional curioisity. They will look. Either take it out or risk losing your CPO power train coverage.

Well let me be more clear, you can just take it out, but all codes will still be there, including the ones that will flag you in the system as having a tune.
      03-22-2014, 01:27 PM   #10
nearlydigital
Private
Canada
Rep

I've said this a few times, but in case I wasn't clear: I am removing the JB4. I have no intention on bringing it in, with the JB4.

I'm trying to determine whether to clear the codes or not.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 05:02 PM   #11
barnsdale
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 6MT AY

lol this is why I don't have a JB4 or equivalent, seems like such a head ache for CPO. Maybe if I still have the car out of warranty I will get one of these.

GL with sorting this all out.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 08:06 AM   #12
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnsdale View Post
lol this is why I don't have a JB4 or equivalent, seems like such a head ache for CPO. Maybe if I still have the car out of warranty I will get one of these.

GL with sorting this all out.

It takes a few minutes of your time to undo the tune. A few minutes of your time is worth 25% performance increase IMO.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 12:44 PM   #13
BGR
Captain
Rep
Drives: C7 GS 7MT; e90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrom View Post
It takes a few minutes of your time to undo the tune. A few minutes of your time is worth 25% performance increase IMO.
Until BMW finds out and denies warranty work on anything powertrain related…
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 10:45 PM   #14
barnsdale
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGR View Post
+1 - I have warranty until 2018, I don't want to mess that up!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 07:32 AM   #15
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGR View Post
Ok so then you don't like ANY tunes, including cobb. Has nothing to do with JB4 specifically.

I BELIEVE you can clear all codes unless BMW NA gets involved for something major and suspect. If you come in with a blown motor then yes they will want to investigate. It is my understanding that you can clear all codes, remove JB4, and be fine assuming that your car isn't being investigated by BMW NA.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 09:38 PM   #16
Chunner
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 135is | #341/586

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnsdale View Post
+1 - I have warranty until 2018, I don't want to mess that up!
This is the what happens when you use those funny piggy back tuners out there...

Go Dinan and you wont have a care in the world. Like many others before me. I'm gonna love my Dinan Stage 3! 10 more days ... woo hooo!
2013 BMW 135is Coupe | Dinan Stage 3 | M3 Subframe Bushings | Dinan Monoball Joints | Dinan Toe Links | 1M Strut Bar | MPS AS/3 - VMR 710's 18x8.5 ET45 / 18x9.5 ET50 | MPSS - BMW 313's 18x7.5 / 18x8.5 | Min Grey, Savanna | Prem, Tech | DCT | Beast #341/586 |

2021 BMW X7 M50i | Alpine White | Children Hauler
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 10:03 PM   #17
foghat
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunner View Post
This is the what happens when you use those funny piggy back tuners out there...

Go Dinan and you wont have a care in the world. Like many others before me. I'm gonna love my Dinan Stage 3! 10 more days ... woo hooo!
Until you line up next to the guy who is running a jb4
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 10:14 PM   #18
Chunner
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 135is | #341/586

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat View Post
Until you line up next to the guy who is running a jb4
That's alright mate. I get to bring it to the dealer if I break something.
2013 BMW 135is Coupe | Dinan Stage 3 | M3 Subframe Bushings | Dinan Monoball Joints | Dinan Toe Links | 1M Strut Bar | MPS AS/3 - VMR 710's 18x8.5 ET45 / 18x9.5 ET50 | MPSS - BMW 313's 18x7.5 / 18x8.5 | Min Grey, Savanna | Prem, Tech | DCT | Beast #341/586 |

2021 BMW X7 M50i | Alpine White | Children Hauler
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 09:32 AM   #19
BGR
Captain
Rep
Drives: C7 GS 7MT; e90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunner View Post
That's alright mate. I get to bring it to the dealer if I break something.
CPO warranty doesn't cover DINAN just FYI. Only original, and it is DINAN picking up the tab, not BMW if they find something failed related to the tune. Only way to have true BMW coverage is to do the BMW powerup kit.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 12:47 PM   #20
edisapimp
Civil Rights Activist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 Sedan, E88 Vert

I'm having a bad day so this is going to sound insensitive, which I usually am not, but: If you change the car, you void the warranty. If you can't live with that, then don't change the car. Everything else that everyone does to try to *justify* maintaining their warranties and CPOs etc is cheating the system. Guess what, if you boost it beyond what BMW intended from the factory and detonate a cylinder, melt a piston, spin a bearing, bend an input shaft, blow a head gasket, whether it's with a COBB, a JB4, or grandpa welding your wastegate shut, you lose. I'm always baffled by the "My car only throws codes when I'm doing something with it that it wasn't designed to do." threads. You take the tune off, and the code goes away and never comes back, this is the car trying to tell you that you're doing something with it that it wasn't designed to do. It ain't rocket science. If you get caught with a car problem resulting from doing something you're not supposed to do, trying to convince the dealership that you didn't do anything wrong (when you did) is dishonest and kind of low. And we wonder why the service writers break our balls when we come to them with legit issues. Because for every legit issue that actually warrants a legit repair, there are ten jerkoffs misusing their vehicles and then bringing them in like "Oh I don't know what happened, it just broke..."

Rob Daman said: "if it's a legit problem the code would return even after clearing it."

That's how you should "approach" this, to answer your original question. Uninstall your tune, drive the car around the way you drive it, and if the code comes back, take it to the dealer and get it addressed under your warranty or CPO agreement. If it only throws the code when your tune is installed, then suck it up and take the fall or diagnose it yourself and improve it.

Sorry if that comes across as bitchy. I have my man-period.

E88 Crimson Red Vert MSport 6MT - Listing your mods in your signature is lame.
BMS DCI/MHD E30 Flash!!/AA Sport FMIC/VRSF CP w Tial BOV/VRSF 3" DPs/550i clutch w SPEC SMFW/Apex EC-7s/Whiteline RSFB/E92 M3 FCAs/Bilstein B12 Pro Kit/VRSF inlets
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 07:17 PM   #21
barnsdale
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by edisapimp View Post
I'm having a bad day so this is going to sound insensitive, which I usually am not, but: If you change the car, you void the warranty. If you can't live with that, then don't change the car. Everything else that everyone does to try to *justify* maintaining their warranties and CPOs etc is cheating the system. Guess what, if you boost it beyond what BMW intended from the factory and detonate a cylinder, melt a piston, spin a bearing, bend an input shaft, blow a head gasket, whether it's with a COBB, a JB4, or grandpa welding your wastegate shut, you lose. I'm always baffled by the "My car only throws codes when I'm doing something with it that it wasn't designed to do." threads. You take the tune off, and the code goes away and never comes back, this is the car trying to tell you that you're doing something with it that it wasn't designed to do. It ain't rocket science. If you get caught with a car problem resulting from doing something you're not supposed to do, trying to convince the dealership that you didn't do anything wrong (when you did) is dishonest and kind of low. And we wonder why the service writers break our balls when we come to them with legit issues. Because for every legit issue that actually warrants a legit repair, there are ten jerkoffs misusing their vehicles and then bringing them in like "Oh I don't know what happened, it just broke..."

Rob Daman said: "if it's a legit problem the code would return even after clearing it."

That's how you should "approach" this, to answer your original question. Uninstall your tune, drive the car around the way you drive it, and if the code comes back, take it to the dealer and get it addressed under your warranty or CPO agreement. If it only throws the code when your tune is installed, then suck it up and take the fall or diagnose it yourself and improve it.

Sorry if that comes across as bitchy. I have my man-period.
+1 buddy - that's why I'm waiting until my warranty is over to do anything outside of my PE and PPK1.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 08:53 PM   #22
vivanapoli806
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i Xdrive Msport

Find a dealer that will cover it even if u have a tune. I'm in Chicago and local dealer had no problem changing my coil when I had a misfire with my cobb tune. I told them I had the tune and they said no problem we are car guys here just like u.
Appreciate 0