BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

Closed Thread

08-02-2012, 04:39 PM   #111
flzrider
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
If you want a vert, get a vert. If you want a coupe, get a coupe. Done.
Deep stuff. I like it.
      08-02-2012, 11:19 PM   #112
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
Im not bragging. And that line coming from someone whose forum handle is "The Stig"
Yes, something I use to identify myself to other car/Top Gear enthusiasts. When I started using it, very few people stateside knew what it was. Nor have I claimed to be any type of F1 capable wonder.

Quote:
So youre just going to try and shut me down on everything, huh? Gotta love people from Philly.
Not from Philly. If I was, I wouldn't be able to push my car every day like I like to. Pot holes and city streets don't lend themselves to speed.

Quote:
Stiggyboy Philly Prude Man - why do you regret your convertible?

If the answer is you dont own one and had nothing to add to the conversation besides assumptions then why are you here in the first place?
Driven enough to know they are soft and floppy. I don't need to waste money on one to find out over the long term what I've already experienced right away. No assumptions there.

Obioban put it rather concisely a few posts back:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban
You're insane if you think there isn't a significant and noticeable difference between the vert and coupe, on the street or on the track.

The vert has worse acceleration, worse braking, worse handling, worse chassis stiffness, worse back seat space, worse visibility, worse noise at speed, and worse trunk space.
      08-03-2012, 07:24 AM   #113
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
Yes, something I use to identify myself to other car/Top Gear enthusiasts. When I started using it, very few people stateside knew what it was. Nor have I claimed to be any type of F1 capable wonder.
Yes - because no americans knew what top gear was in 2008...

Quote:
Not from Philly. If I was, I wouldn't be able to push my car every day like I like to. Pot holes and city streets don't lend themselves to speed.
Because as weved established you drive at 10/10 all the time -every time on the street.

Remind me to avoid Philly the next time I head out to PA

Quote:

Driven enough to know they are soft and floppy. I don't need to waste money on one to find out over the long term what I've already experienced right away. No assumptions there.
So you havent driven an E88 135. And were back to all of your unsubstantiated assumptions again.

Because no - for a vert the 135 is pretty stiff. And ive driven some shite verts. Ill use an old Caddilac as an example - I pushed it into a turn and broke the welds on the x-brace

Quote:
Obioban put it rather concisely a few posts back:
Yes - I read the worse. It was an insightful comparison, kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time.

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 07:51 AM   #114
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes - because no americans knew what top gear was in 2008...
2006. And then, it was a pretty limited group.

Quote:
Because as weved established you drive at 10/10 all the time -every time on the street.
I know you don't have much to work with in your position, but needless BS doesn't help much. I said I hit the limit once a day. It's pretty easy on twisty country roads.

Also, we've*.

Quote:
So you havent driven an E88 135. And were back to all of your unsubstantiated assumptions again.
You know what? You must be right. The cheap end model from BMW must be built with the same priorities and budget as the Zonda roadster. How silly of me to think it would be like every other vert from $20,000 to $200,000.

This is like trying to reason with a religious person. You just have a blind zealotry to an unsupportable position.
      08-03-2012, 08:03 AM   #115
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
2006. And then, it was a pretty limited group.
Your join date is 2008

Quote:
I know you don't have much to work with in your position, but needless BS doesn't help much. I said I hit the limit once a day. It's pretty easy on twisty country roads.

Also, we've*.
So you say no more BS and then you throw out BS in your next paragraph? Also you were the first one to throw out insults - dont blame me for them

Also hitting up a typo from something I wrote just after waking up - really makes you look like a big man.

Quote:
You know what? You must be right. The cheap end model from BMW must be built with the same priorities and budget as the Zonda roadster. How silly of me to think it would be like every other vert from $20,000 to $200,000.

This is like trying to reason with a religious person. You just have a blind zealotry to an unsupportable position.
All ive been saying is that your numbers are from unsubstantiated sources - as in it isnt official and until you show me official cited numbers im not believing you
If you can start showing me actual numbers - as in not from an internet forum - ill shut up and we can be on our merry ways because I was wrong. But until then you dont have a leg to stand on.

That isnt BS - Thats how science works.

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 09:55 AM   #116
zamboni
I want to drive a Zamboni
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 E93 M3 18 F80 M3 16 K71

Garage List
16 K71 F800GT  [10.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 BMW E93 M3  [10.00]
Brokenvert why take it personal? There is no right or wrong answers just a forum discussion. Both 135i vert & 335i coupe were great cars it's all come down to your personal choice which one to go with.

2000 E46,2006 E90,09 E82,13 E93 328i,14 F30 335i,18 F80 M3
My next vehicle would be a Zamboni
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 10:22 AM   #117
alvitdk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Hearing everything working and actually feeling the speed rush around you is part of the fun of owning a vert.

And its why I and many other made the choice to buy one. Because it enhances our driving experience in day to day life.
+1000
Also Drive: 22' Nissan Frontier Pro 4X
Waiting for 23' BMW Z4 M40i:
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 10:22 AM   #118
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboni View Post
Brokenvert why take it personal? There is no right or wrong answers just a forum discussion. Both 135i vert & 335i coupe were great cars it's all come down to your personal choice which one to go with.
Im not taking it personally - I just dont like dicks, so I shut them down.

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 10:25 AM   #119
smw356
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

I generally don't like convertibles (the top down at 70+ without a helmet gets annoying to me pretty quick, as to a myriad of other issues with convertible tops), but harping on the 135i vert being sub standard is sort of missing the point. You cant really just judge things like chassis stiffness on solely if its a vert or not. I'd be willing to bet that the 135i vert has a better composed chassis than a lot of non verts. I know this isnt exactly in an identical ballpark, but the 135i vert I test drove, felt miles more composed than a genesis coupe for example (again I know this isnt the best comparison, but I drove them close enough to one another in the day that the difference was surprising to say the least).

Its also not like you're chopping the roofline off an aston here either so theres nothing really being damaged aesthetically.

Sure its going to be slightly inferior in a performance metrics than a coupe, since the chassis start its way with a roof, but realistically thats probably pretty insignificant since its going to all come down to if you want a roof or not, which is a subjective question that no one but the person buying the car can answer. So the whole pissing match here is rather pointless.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 10:31 AM   #120
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

This is literally everything that all of the vert owners in this thread have been saying.

And I dont care if you dont like verts - if you dont get top down driving than its your loss - but to start shitting on my decision to buy a vert is where I take offense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smw356 View Post
I generally don't like convertibles (the top down at 70+ without a helmet gets annoying to me pretty quick, as to a myriad of other issues with convertible tops), but harping on the 135i vert being sub standard is sort of missing the point. You cant really just judge things like chassis stiffness on solely if its a vert or not. I'd be willing to bet that the 135i vert has a better composed chassis than a lot of non verts. I know this isnt exactly in an identical ballpark, but the 135i vert I test drove, felt miles more composed than a genesis coupe for example (again I know this isnt the best comparison, but I drove them close enough to one another in the day that the difference was surprising to say the least).

Sure its going to be slightly inferior in a performance metrics than a coupe, since the chassis start its way with a roof, but realistically thats probably pretty insignificant since its going to all come down to if you want a roof or not, which is a subjective question that no one but the person buying the car can answer. So the whole pissing match here is rather pointless.

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 11:58 AM   #121
WPG D33Z
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i vert Cobb Stage2

Driving a vert is good for the soul. I love my morning drive to work, feel nice and refreshed when I arrive

If your an outdoors person you probably love verts, if your an indoor cat probably not as much!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 12:08 PM   #122
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPG D33Z View Post
Driving a vert is good for the soul. I love my morning drive to work, feel nice and refreshed when I arrive

If your an outdoors person you probably love verts, if your an indoor cat probably not as much!
Im an oudoor person who hunts and fishes a lot as well as hiking and camping. I also have owned motorcycles most of my life(motorcross and street). I dont care for verts and I would not own one, personal preference.
Think your trying to keyhole individuals that way is off base. I dont think one has anything to do with the other.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 12:14 PM   #123
Section147
Good To Be Alive!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lotsa Stuff

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WPG D33Z View Post
Nooooooooooooo! You're supposed to have the car up on two wheels around every corner and drive it to the
"limit" 24/7! You can't possibly do that in a 'vert...and you can't possibly be a serious "driver".
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 04:31 PM   #124
2012_135i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i, 6MT, M-Sport

Quote:
...And I dont care if you dont like verts - if you dont get top down driving than its your loss - but to start shitting on my decision to buy a vert is where I take offense.
I've been following this thread as a nonpartisan bystander and don't see that anyone is shitting on your decision to buy a vert. They're offering their opinions, coupe vs. vert, which is why they didn't buy a vert. This whole coupe vs. vert discussion is OT anyway and should be in a separate thread, not that the topic hasn't been beaten to death on this forum anyway. By the way, I like the look of your vert. Nice color combo.
      08-03-2012, 04:49 PM   #125
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Stating that the vert has some minute shortcomings is being taken as an insult by some. That's really the bottom line.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 06:23 PM   #126
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Your join date is 2008
Must be the first time I used that handle. Oh...
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/member.php?u=59928

My join date is 2008 because that is when this forum started moving, with the advent of the E90 M3 and the 1er. Really happy to break this all down for you.

Quote:
All ive been saying is that your numbers are from unsubstantiated sources - as in it isnt official and until you show me official cited numbers im not believing you
If you can start showing me actual numbers - as in not from an internet forum - ill shut up and we can be on our merry ways because I was wrong. But until then you dont have a leg to stand on.
So to summarize, you won't accept what is common knowledge?
      08-03-2012, 10:33 PM   #127
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Head in the sand?

Im asking for your sources. Thats me generally interested in what you have to say. So wheres you twisting moment data from on the 135? Because it wasnt in that thread you posted.

My car doesnt have DCT and you specifically said your car ill scan the brochure tonight when I get home if you want. But it clearly says 3660 man/3670 vert - and you arent going to notice 10 pounds in the transmission tunnel on a street car.

Also no - I dont have a 128 with a step.

And yes I appreciate in line citations - but C&D is hardly the most accurate source for weights and figures.
The weight citation from C&D compared to BMW's might be that C&D weighed the car they had, which would also take into account any options added like upgraded audio and power seats, which will add weight.
Like most manufactures, BMW lists the "base" weight of their cars, meaning base car no options, full tank of gas and all the fluids.
The 47lb weight difference could just be the added options in the C&D 1 they tested.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 11:19 PM   #128
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
The weight of a single passenger alone is noticeable before I leave my street. No track needed. The weight difference between the two is closer to having two average sized adults in the car with you. I'm sorry you're apparently so disconnected from your vehicle that you can't detect that in every day driving. BTW, I can hear my exhaust with my windows rolled up so don't come back with "hearing the sounds of the car" as bringing you more in tune with your car.
Man, now your really reaching.

Yes, I can feel when a passenger gets in, one can easily feel that weight as they sit down. But, even though the weight has increased, the actual weight distribution is now more even than just with a driver.
So what? There is hardly any noticeable difference in performance at all.
Oh no, my 0-60 won't be as quick as without that passenger!
Real driving enthusiasts should not carry passengers. Why buy cars with back seats, it'll just take away from performance and driving pleasure.
Friends will ask for a ride. True friends would rather walk than ruin my 1/4 mile times.

Something must be wrong with you car, because in my 135i, even with 2 passengers, it's still pretty darn fast, and handling is just fine. BMW does realize that passengers might want to come along.
Am I going to run on the track with a car full of passengers?
Uh, no. Will my times getting to the restaurant full of passengers be negatively affected?
Not that I've noticed.
But then, I might not be as "in tune" with my car as you are.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 11:21 PM   #129
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

Back on topic...

NO REGRETS

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 11:21 PM   #130
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

135i is superior the 335i imho in every area except size and things relating to size (leg room, trunk room, width of the track, etc), and price. Stock, I think a 335i looks nicer, but I like what I've done to my car. Looks more aggressive than any 3 series I've seen, and no more weird bug-eye potbelly look.

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2012, 01:23 PM   #131
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:

So to summarize, you won't accept what is common knowledge?
No - to summarize I wont accept assumptions and am simply asking for real numbers.

Does the vert have lower rigidity torsional stiffness than the coupe - probably, most verts do, but not all.
But I chose not assume until its proven with numbers. How is that me not accepting anything?

The burden of proof is on you - you made a statement and im asking you to get some real number to back it up.

Like I said earlier im asking for science - not your assumptions.

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2012, 01:26 PM   #132
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
Stating that the vert has some minute shortcomings is being taken as an insult by some. That's really the bottom line.
Thats not the insult. And its the truth in a lot of cases.

But saying that I dont care about driving, or that my car is a piece of crap because it doesnt have a roof is where the insult lies.

I have a lot of money, sweat, and time invested in my car. I love it. So if you tell that its crap were going to have problems.

Also it was a friday night yesterday - go out and have fun, why was this thread still going?

Appreciate 0
Closed Thread