BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-20-2013, 03:24 PM   #23
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb135is View Post
I will chime in to say that I have not missed the HK sound for a second. I'm too ignorant to what music is supposed to sound like to really care. It's $ I can't fathom spending, to be honest. Then again, I shelled out $500 to keep my ass warm in the winter, so what do I know?
Butt warmers in the northeast is worth every penny.
      08-20-2013, 05:43 PM   #24
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian.long View Post
From my experience 10% off would only be something you would get off on a car that has been sitting around for for like 6-8+ months. I know my dealership would never order a car for someone and then give them 10% off. The dealer doesn't even have that much profit in an IS. I'd say a good discount on an order is probably 4 percent...that's actually pretty strong. I don't think I got 10% off through the employee program.
Good thing you're not my dealer! =P

Now get your car here already! Feels like it's been forever since you ordered your car and that's even from my end.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 08:39 PM   #25
mb135is
Captain
Rep
Drives: '13 135is #180/586

Quote:
From my experience 10% off would only be something you would get off on a car that has been sitting around for for like 6-8+ months. I know my dealership would never order a car for someone and then give them 10% off. The dealer doesn't even have that much profit in an IS. I'd say a good discount on an order is probably 4 percent...that's actually pretty strong. I don't think I got 10% off through the employee program.
I was very surprised by the price I got. Perhaps this I why my SA no longer works at the dealership?

E82 '13 135is - Space Gray/Coral Red, 6 MT,
Heated Seats, 50% tint, clear bra, BMW Perf. Grilles, BMW Perf. CF Diffuser - #180/586
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 09:23 PM   #26
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Sorry I disagree, maybe not 10% but 4% is way low. I've had 2 different dealers tell me outright that they would knock off 7% without any negotiating whatsoever. That's what ED offers and they'll match that just for a 'quick sale'.
      08-20-2013, 09:27 PM   #27
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
So latest update, I'm looking at brand new 135is:

Le Mans on Black (with stitching)
- Premium
- Tech
- Heated front seats
- Harmon Kardon
- BMW Assist with BT

Suggested MSRP after destination and handling of $51,300. CA offering at $47,485. Less rebates, loyalty and other promos gets me down to $44,485. Thoughts?
      08-20-2013, 09:35 PM   #28
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSC_OFF View Post

- Premium
- Tech
- Heated front seats
- Harmon Kardon
- BMW Assist with BT

Suggested MSRP after destination and handling of $51,300. CA offering at $47,485. Less rebates, loyalty and other promos gets me down to $44,485. Thoughts?
Sounds like a good deal. Is that one in stock or an on order? Either way, i think you'll find that the longer you wait, the harder it will be to find one or snag one of the last order slots, so it won't even be about how good a deal might be if there's not even a car in the exact color combo out there that you want. Point being, even if you could maybe get an additional $500 or $600 off elsewhere potentially, I would play it safe and not risk it, cause that's an excellent deal to begin with.

My 2 cents. Oh, and perhaps if you want to get one more additional thing - get them to throw in the stainless steel pedals since I think you were getting a DCT and those for some crazy reason don't come with them, though the manuals do. Don't ask.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 09:38 PM   #29
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
Sounds like a good deal. Is that one in stock or an on order? Either way, i think you'll find that the longer you wait, the harder it will be to find one, so won't even be about how good a deal might be if there's not a car in the exact color combo you want. Point being, even if you could maybe get an additional $500 or $600 off elsewhere potentially, I would play it safe and not risk it, cause that's an excellent deal to begin with.

My 2 cents. Oh, or get them to throw in the stainless steel pedals since I think you were getting a DCT and those for some crazy reason don't come with them, though the manuals do. Don't ask.
This particular one is in transit to a dealer local to me. Thanks for the feedback, very tempting... it's about 14% off MSRP. Question is should I lease or buy? I'd like to think this car is a potential keeper but seems like some good cars coming out over the next year or so...
      08-20-2013, 09:42 PM   #30
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
This particular one is in transit to a dealer local to me. Thanks for the feedback, very tempting... it's about 14% off MSRP. Question is should I lease or buy? I'd like to think this car is a potential keeper but seems like some good cars coming out over the next year or so...
I think at this point the residuals are so bad on a lease now in August (dropped from 63% to 53%) that the lease payment will be so high it might not be worth it. Also, not sure if your discounts includes that $1500 build out cash, which I'm told can't be applied to a lease, though I'm not sure on that. The good news is, the combo of a great deal to begin with + the rarity of these, they might not lose that much value in the next few years so don't think you'd have a problem selling it at a good price in the near future if you decided to go that route.

So, I think you'd be better off buying, but have them run the numbers on the lease and you'll see. The monthlies are brutal compared to what you could get on other, much more expensive BMWs. If you planned to buy at the end of the lease though that may not matter as you'll just have a much smaller residual to deal with.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 09:45 PM   #31
Marc08EX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 135i

Quote:

- Premium
- Tech
- Heated front seats
- Harmon Kardon
- BMW Assist with BT

That's a ridiculously low price!!! I would go for it without any hesitation.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 10:01 PM   #32
mb135is
Captain
Rep

Yup, that is a solid deal. Which dealership did you end up with? That's pretty friggin' amazing that you're getting this deal AND you don't have to wait for it! CONGRATS!

Heated Seats, 50% tint, clear bra, BMW Perf. Grilles, BMW Perf. CF Diffuser - #180/586
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 10:04 PM   #33
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
take it and run!!!!! so jealous you found the car you wanted already arriving!!! very cool
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 10:06 PM   #34
Bama335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E82 135is '13 E88 135

Quote:
Nice build, and that's a great price. With the lousy residuals, I'd lean towards the buy unless you want to purchase it at the end of the term when your higher payments during the lease mean a lower buyout at the end.

My finance guy said the $1500 build out credit was also avail on a lease, but only using the August residuals and MF.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 12:34 AM   #35
Dboyz321
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Cutting it close

After a little research i found a Base price of $38100, on a 135is. With your options it's 43905, (quick math) minus the delivery fees. The dealer would make a little money on the options, but you're not really allowing them much of a profit. Unless they were trying to meet a quota or bmw incentive, they may not play. If you were going to trade in, they also may not give you a good trade in value. I hope you're able to find a dealer willing to work with you, and enjoy your new car.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 12:36 AM   #36
Dboyz321
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post
That's a ridiculously low price!!! I would go for it without any hesitation.

+1
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 06:32 AM   #37
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yup, that is a solid deal. Which dealership did you end up with? That's pretty friggin' amazing that you're getting this deal AND you don't have to wait for it! CONGRATS!
Interestingly I found out yesterday the forum sponsor I was talking to was not a dealer rather a broker. So I need to verify those BMW promotions still apply to a purchase through a broker but I'm thinking it should since I still need to put in an application with BMWFS. If not however I'm pretty sure I can find a local dealer to match the broker's price.

I forgot that price also does not include my CCA rebate of $500 so if all goes as planned I think I'm getting this for $43,985.

Last edited by 3002 tii; 08-21-2013 at 06:58 AM.. Reason: U
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 07:30 AM   #38
mb135is
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Interestingly I found out yesterday the forum sponsor I was talking to was not a dealer rather a broker. So I need to verify those BMW promotions still apply to a purchase through a broker but I'm thinking it should since I still need to put in an application with BMWFS. If not however I'm pretty sure I can find a local dealer to match the broker's price.

I forgot that price also does not include my CCA rebate of $500 so if all goes as planned I think I'm getting this for $43,985.
Check the details on that CCA $ - I couldn't apply the $500 rebate because I purchased through USAA. Doesn't sound like you're going through a buying service, so it should be okay.

I'm getting pumped for the track - faded brakes, understeer and limp mode baby!!!!!!!!! You going down Friday or Saturday?

Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 08:54 AM   #39
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Check the details on that CCA $ - I couldn't apply the $500 rebate because I purchased through USAA. Doesn't sound like you're going through a buying service, so it should be okay.

I'm getting pumped for the track - faded brakes, understeer and limp mode baby!!!!!!!!! You going down Friday or Saturday?
Yea, that's one thing I need to look for. I've read others didn't have issue with getting the rebate even if they bought through broker, as long as the car was financed through BMW FS.

Driving Sat and Sun but I'll be checking in hotel Friday night.
      08-21-2013, 03:57 PM   #40
mb135is
Captain
Rep

Cool, me too. Might do some significant karting Friday - took the day off work.

Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 09:31 PM   #41
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
So I got a chance to test drive a 135is with DCT tonight. Couple observations:

The Good
1) The basic stereo (non-HK) really isn't that bad.
2) The exhaust burble sounds exotic, like a VW R32 (blasphemy, I know) but better.
3) The interior is quite spacious and the seats are very supportive. Way more lumbar support than my M-sport seats.
4) The car just feels solid all around -- even at high speeds, the car just felt stable despite imperfections in the road.

The Not So Great
1) The car isn't as tossable as I thought it'd be. As compared to my Z coupe, it doesn't feel as light and direct. But not necessarily a bad thing, the Z is my track car and it fulfills that purpose quite well. For a fun daily, I'll sacrifice some of the handling characteristics for that solid/stable feel mentioned above.
2) Maybe I'm not used to the throttle, but when trying to roll the car "out of first"... it just wouldn't move. It's only when I got on the throttle, did it kick in. I was basically having a hard time modulating throttle. I noticed this twice, both times when merging into oncoming traffic.
3) The brakes require a heavy foot. I was surprised how despite progressively getting on the brakes, the car wouldn't slow down. You had to really put a lot of weight on the pedal for it to slow down.
4) I thought the N55 was supposed to exhibit LESS lag than the N54 but I didn't find that to be the case. I've driven both early model e92 335xi (6MT) and e90 335i (Auto) and both cars seemed less laggy. Today was 82* with slight humidity fwiw.

The Awesome
1) The torque is amazing, the car just pulls. My N52 with 6MT has better initial response but man this N55 just continues to pull harder and harder as you get in the rev range. Coming home back in my Z, the car felt so flat from 4k on. And I know on track, once I hit 6k I really wish I had more left but I plateau

Other
1) DCT is great for regular driving, but it almost felt like a waste to have such a high performing car and not be able to row through the gears. But it's still miles better than tiptronic and SMG from years ago.
      08-21-2013, 09:43 PM   #42
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
So I got a chance to test drive a 135is with DCT tonight. Couple observations:

The Not So Great

2) Maybe I'm not used to the throttle, but when trying to roll the car "out of first"... it just wouldn't move. It's only when I got on the throttle, did it kick in. I was basically having a hard time modulating throttle. I noticed this twice, both times when merging into oncoming traffic.
3) The brakes require a heavy foot. I was surprised how despite progressively getting on the brakes, the car wouldn't slow down. You had to really put a lot of weight on the pedal for it to slow down.
4) I thought the N55 was supposed to exhibit LESS lag than the N54 but I didn't find that to be the case. I've driven both early model e92 335xi (6MT) and e90 335i (Auto) and both cars seemed less laggy. Today was 82* with slight humidity fwiw.
I'll just respond to some of the not so great items on your list as I have some similar impressions, thoughts, and solutions to some of those.

I have that issue at times with the gas when going from a stop as nothing seems to happen for that first inch or whatever, then it flies, so I almost feel like others come off a stop light a second or two earlier than me.

Possible solutions and don't know if you tried any of these on your test drive - so the sport button, if you hit that, it doesn't change any of the shift points, but it makes the gas (and maybe the brakes?) a lot more sensitive. The problem then is tiny little inputs can really cause it jerking forward. It's basically pick which is easier for you to deal with. I'd say with the sport button on, it only requires about half the input on the gas to get the same acceleration.

Also, did you put the car in DS mode as opposed to full manual mode? That will hold the gears longer and may or may not (not sure) help with the issues you were feeling off the line.

Brakes - I felt what you were feeling when I first got my car and it was somewhat unnerving as I felt like nothing was happening and they had a lot of give. I don't know how much of that was me getting used to it or they just needed the 2-300 miles of break in that is specified in the manual. I will say that as time went on I felt they were much more responsive and grippier earlier. I also got the michelin pilot super sports on there though at about 400 miles which also seemed to help with the grip and stopping earlier.

Here's what's written in the manual about the brakes break-in (say that 10x fast):

"Brake system
Brakes require an initial break-in period of
approx. 300 miles/500 km to achieve optimized
contact and wear patterns between brake pads
and rotors. Drive cautiously during this break-in
period."
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 09:45 PM   #43
mb135is
Captain
Rep

That's the terrible throttle response. It's nearly unacceptable. This is why people enjoy pedal boxes and sprint boosters. My foot is finally used to getting into the throttle more than I was used to with my m54 ZHP, which also didn't have great throttle response.

Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 09:51 PM   #44
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
DSC_OFF:

i don't think it's fair to compare the tossability of a stock 135is to a modified track car like the Z4 Coupe!!

i'm a big fan of dual clutch gearboxes....but for my 'is' i decided to go with manual. I just think the nature of this car sort of begs for a manual for me personally.....but i'm sure you can't go wrong with either gearbox.
Appreciate 0