BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-27-2013, 04:06 PM   #1
n54oner
Rep
Drives: '09 135i

Broke line while doing solenoid bypass

Hey guys,

I had just installed DCI and JB+ and was trying to get one of the hoses off to do the solenoid bypass, and the plastic T broke. What do I do? Can I take it to a place like AutoZone, or a mechanic? Or, is it not drivable like this? (I haven't tried starting the car.) Please help!

Last edited by n54oner; 11-28-2013 at 07:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 05:26 PM   #2
n54oner
Rep

I called a local shop and they said it should be fine to drive it (that's what I was mainly worried about), so I drove to them (took it easy) and they gave me a new T, cut the other line, and sent me on my way (for me to hook it up myself). So I drove back home and completed the bypass.

But, now the car is really rough when I get on the gas. You can hear the turbos spooling up and feel a little power, but it's kind of 'jerky' for the first few seconds (maybe at 80% throttle). Then, boost kicks in quickly for a second, and then cuts back out (and back in and out, etc). Would this be considered limp mode, or is it something else? Is it because I drove the car with the vacuum hoses disconnected for a few miles twice? I tried turning on and off the car a few times, but it's still doing it :/
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 05:50 PM   #3
JuuS
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

The JB+ is not an instant mod. Give it a day or two and the burbling/hesitation will go away. You'll notice a big power bump between 3000-5000 rpms. Not too much on the low end where it still feels a bit like stock.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 07:21 PM   #4
n54oner
Rep

So it running rough under throttle is normal for the JB+ at first? I was expecting it would take a few days to get full power from reading other threads before installing, but I didn't realize it might run worse for a bit.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2013, 02:23 PM   #5
n54oner
Rep

Well, driving around today and it's still running really bad. Just got on the throttle, car took a dump and SES light came on and it's barely driving. I'm guessing this is limp mode. I didn't expect this until later in life, lol. I'm sitting on the side of the road to let the car sit for a bit off. But what should I do?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2013, 03:32 PM   #6
n54oner
Rep

An update.. I sat on the side of the road for about 10 mins with the car off, then started it back up. SES light was off, so I got back on the road and took it easy. Everything seemed fine, so I started using the gas a little more each acceleration, and whoa!! Everything is great now, and it pulls awesome! I'm guessing there was something 'tripped' in the computer from the initial vacuum hose issue that was messing it up, but after that SES light came on and then went off, it's been running great since. Pulls a decent amount more than stock, and it's smoother than stock in my opinion. Hopefully that'll be the end of issues and I can just enjoy the new power now (at least until I get tired of it and want more).
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2013, 06:37 AM   #7
BMist371
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i Vert

Id have done a battery pull right after fixing the T just to be on the safe side. Had to boost my car off the other day and the tranny locked in park. Pulled battery and it runs fine. Seems these cars are very finicky from an electronic standpoint.
Appreciate 0