BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-21-2022, 02:38 PM   #1
leagues58
E82
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i

Electrical issues with lights and fuse box noise. Relay, JBE, or CAS?

My 2011 128i is having issues with the head and tail lights. Initially whenever the key was placed into the ignition there was a crackling noise from the fuse box for a few seconds, during which time the head and tail lights would flicker in sync with the noise.

Video:
View post on imgur.com

I took the car into the dealership, and they reported that the FRM had died. When I picked up the car, the door locks, turn signals, and windows were all inoperable. Previously I had been able to pull codes from the FMR, but now it would not register with my scanner. Somehow the FMR died in their care, but I assume it was on it's way out anyway.

I had BMW replace the FRM with a new one, and I now have the locks, turn signals, and windows back, but the initial issue of the flickering lights and fuse box noise remains.

My battery (3 years old, AGM, registered when installed) appears fine: it reads 12.4V when the car is off (not run for ~21 hours), 10.1 when started, and 14.2V when running, which I believe is acceptable. The car has always started without issue.

I now suspect with the 30G relay, the JBE, or the CAS module. I will be pulling the 30G relay soon to test and make sure it's working.

I did notice that after running the car for a while the 30G relay was pretty hot.

My car currently throws the following codes:
Footwell:
- E598: Message (low beam) missing, FRM receiver, LRS transmitter
- 9CAB: One terminal 15 missing

CAS:
- A0A9: Control-module fault
- A0BE: Terminal 15 output 1
- A0BF: Terminal 15 output 2
- A0C0: Terminal 15 output 3

Is there anything else I'm missing that could be causing this? Any way to determine CAS issues vs JBE ones?
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2023, 12:13 PM   #2
mcjoe691
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by leagues58 View Post
My 2011 128i is having issues with the head and tail lights. Initially whenever the key was placed into the ignition there was a crackling noise from the fuse box for a few seconds, during which time the head and tail lights would flicker in sync with the noise.

Video:
View post on imgur.com

I took the car into the dealership, and they reported that the FRM had died. When I picked up the car, the door locks, turn signals, and windows were all inoperable. Previously I had been able to pull codes from the FMR, but now it would not register with my scanner. Somehow the FMR died in their care, but I assume it was on it's way out anyway.

I had BMW replace the FRM with a new one, and I now have the locks, turn signals, and windows back, but the initial issue of the flickering lights and fuse box noise remains.

My battery (3 years old, AGM, registered when installed) appears fine: it reads 12.4V when the car is off (not run for ~21 hours), 10.1 when started, and 14.2V when running, which I believe is acceptable. The car has always started without issue.

I now suspect with the 30G relay, the JBE, or the CAS module. I will be pulling the 30G relay soon to test and make sure it's working.

I did notice that after running the car for a while the 30G relay was pretty hot.

My car currently throws the following codes:
Footwell:
- E598: Message (low beam) missing, FRM receiver, LRS transmitter
- 9CAB: One terminal 15 missing

CAS:
- A0A9: Control-module fault
- A0BE: Terminal 15 output 1
- A0BF: Terminal 15 output 2
- A0C0: Terminal 15 output 3

Is there anything else I'm missing that could be causing this? Any way to determine CAS issues vs JBE ones?
Thanks!
Did u find issue ??I have same issue
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2023, 12:28 PM   #3
Noh
Rep
Drives: Bmw 128i

Garage List
  [0.00]
I’ve had the same issues as you, skimming through your other posts, i noticed you said something about water, I’ve had my fuse box replaced for water damage, then flooded again, could there be a fault in the fuse box causing water to leak?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2024, 03:04 PM   #4
crazyslayer122
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i

Garage List
Did anyone ever find the fix to this issue I am currently having a melt down replaced the 30g relay what do I do now?
Appreciate 0