BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-14-2013, 05:37 PM   #1
themeec
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB/CR BMW 135i

Unhappy Rear quarter window Shadowline trim woes

So, it would appear that with the Shadowline trim package that I ordered my E82 with, the channel covers below the rear quarter-panel windows were simply painted, and not treated with whatever process used on the rest of the trim.

This, coupled with the strong high-desert sun we get up here in Boise, ID has wreaked havoc on them, causing a lot of excess graying/fading in the paint, and recently, in it flaking off completely.

You can see in the pic below the extent to which the paint has degraded, as well as a comparison to the front window channel cover, which has weathered normally (aka, not at all).

Considering most material-related issue with the vehicle during its lifetime (rear brake light lens, head unit display, etc) have since been improved or upgraded by BMW, I figured simply replacing the trim piece would solve it.

However, I have been unable to find this particular part, listed in the way the front trim is. I contacted my local dealers parts dept., and they indicated that it was only available as part of the whole rear quarter-panel window assembly. I have a slightly hard time believing that one has to replace their entire rear window to upgrade/fix this trim piece. Anyone have any ideas or input?

In the event of the latter being the case, does anyone know of any 3rd-party vendors that might have a solution for this?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 07:47 PM   #2
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i 6MT MSport

Try PMing Tischer or GetBMWParts or Dan@United for some help. They will be able I find it for you for sure.
      10-15-2013, 06:27 AM   #3
cheshirecat79
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 370z & 135i

You have to replace the entire rear window. You cannot replace the trim by itself.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 09:49 PM   #4
themeec
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1aze View Post
Try PMing Tischer or GetBMWParts or Dan@United for some help. They will be able I find it for you for sure.
Thanks! Will do, I'll see what they come back with.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 09:50 PM   #5
themeec
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshirecat79 View Post
You have to replace the entire rear window. You cannot replace the trim by itself.
That's what I heard from the dealer. Hoping someone's found a way around this. Will try what b1aze suggested, and see what they turn up with.
Appreciate 0