BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-02-2018, 01:24 PM   #1
KRAMCLASSIC
Private First Class
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2012 135I 6MT AW/RED

Sun roof not closing completely, how to adjust?

Hello everyone! I hope this post is in the right place but I have an issue with my Sun roof not closing completely. Basically when I try to close it moves to the closed position then adjust just below leaving a crack open and it seems like the car thinks this is the closed position, is there anyway to adjust this? the dealer said this could be done electronically but they wanted to charge me $180 just to diagnose. I just coded the windows and when I close all the windows including sun roof it move to the same position with a slight opening.
has anyone else experienced this issue?

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

thanks
      08-02-2018, 01:57 PM   #2
smeard
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2010 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMCLASSIC View Post
Hello everyone! I hope this post is in the right place but I have an issue with my Sun roof not closing completely. Basically when I try to close it moves to the closed position then adjust just below leaving a crack open and it seems like the car thinks this is the closed position, is there anyway to adjust this? the dealer said this could be done electronically but they wanted to charge me $180 just to diagnose. I just coded the windows and when I close all the windows including sun roof it move to the same position with a slight opening.
has anyone else experienced this issue?

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

thanks
Personally, I would put this in the General coupe discussion. Try holding the button back (for open) and hold for 10 sec after it fully opens and then hold button forward (for close) for 10 sec after it fully closes. Also try holding the "vent" position button for 10 sec when fully closed. I know many e46 guys had this problem and this fixed it (reset the sunroof). If you are into DIY, you can try adjusting the glass by undoing the bolts holding it in place. If not, go to a decent indy shop and they can fix it. Could also be the shade drivers/motors not being properly positioned and letting the sunroof "sag". Our Ford pickup had a similar issue where the sunroof track had eventually gone out of alignment due to shade motor (actually broke off a piece of the track) and we paid to have it fixed at our nearby audio/alarm guys. Cost a lot but not an issue since. If it doesn't leak, maybe don't worry about it? Try pouring some water and see if it does leak. Pics would also help a lot. Good luck!
Weekend - 1997 BMW Z3 M52, 5spd, Dunkelgrun: 230k mi, Intrax Springs on Bilsteins, Style 68s staggered
AutoX/track - 2012 F30 N20, 6MT BSM
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 03:04 PM   #3
KRAMCLASSIC
Private First Class
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2012 135I 6MT AW/RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeard View Post
Personally, I would put this in the General coupe discussion. Try holding the button back (for open) and hold for 10 sec after it fully opens and then hold button forward (for close) for 10 sec after it fully closes. Also try holding the "vent" position button for 10 sec when fully closed. I know many e46 guys had this problem and this fixed it (reset the sunroof). If you are into DIY, you can try adjusting the glass by undoing the bolts holding it in place. If not, go to a decent indy shop and they can fix it. Could also be the shade drivers/motors not being properly positioned and letting the sunroof "sag". Our Ford pickup had a similar issue where the sunroof track had eventually gone out of alignment due to shade motor (actually broke off a piece of the track) and we paid to have it fixed at our nearby audio/alarm guys. Cost a lot but not an issue since. If it doesn't leak, maybe don't worry about it? Try pouring some water and see if it does leak. Pics would also help a lot. Good luck!
Thanks for the tips I'll try this out first before adjusting/removing anything. At first I thought maybe the wrap on my roof was getting in the way of one of the sensors for the sun roof but hopefully resetting it will work. I'll try and take some pics later and post if resetting doesn't work.