Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Pee View Post
Great.
So they basically have to pull the entire dash and climate control unit to replace one cable.

I always say, the more complicated a repair, the bigger the chance that something else will get broken while you do it.
True on that, but the hold up pretty well and the interior pieces got back, since they know that i'm that "perfectionist" , +1 on watching every single move they make, making sure no bolts left behind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flzrider View Post
Thanks for the pics, always nice to see exactly what the dealer will be touching when going in for a repair.

Agreed. I'm debating purchasing the cable myself and doing the swap on my own. I know I will put more attention to detail than the typical tech. I have often returned from the dealer with more issues than I originally came in with.

Anyone know the p/n for the new cable? Are any repair instructions floating around the web?
Not sure about this.. but i'm not used to complicated DIY +1 dealers had the computer that shows the repairing process. and they claimed they've done this so many times in other cars. +1 the tools to cut out the cable and clamping the cable again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
That's exactly what I was thinking looking at Jay-K's pics...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahlzeit View Post
Holy crap!
what the crap?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 08:26 PM   #90
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I had this done to my 128i and everything worked fine. I didn't even loose my coding changes. There is a tsb that I think I saw here (1addicts). The techs at the dealership are making a crimped connection with a special tool to ensure consistency. I prefer soldered connections but I understand why BMW would do it this way. I think it's best to let the manufacturer/dealer do things the way they want to so they are on the hook if something does not go well.
      09-03-2013, 09:02 PM   #91
Slats
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M & 1997 M3

Yikes. Those pictures are sobering. The chances of the dealer getting that stuff apart and back together with no resulting new squeak or rattle are smallish.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 11:03 PM   #92
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
I had this done to my 128i and everything worked fine. I didn't even loose my coding changes. There is a tsb that I think I saw here (1addicts). The techs at the dealership are making a crimped connection with a special tool to ensure consistency. I prefer soldered connections but I understand why BMW would do it this way. I think it's best to let the manufacturer/dealer do things the way they want to so they are on the hook if something does not go well.
The soldered the black rubber to let them bond with the clamp.. i think they did a pretty good job.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 11:14 PM   #93
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats View Post
Yikes. Those pictures are sobering. The chances of the dealer getting that stuff apart and back together with no resulting new squeak or rattle are smallish.
as i mentioned before, i did stay with them through the whole process (skipped breakfast & lunch for this).. yeah.. im used to squeak or rattle and im good with it, i dont really care, its just so much fun to drive ... most of them because the harrash setting of my V3,
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 12:21 PM   #94
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Holy crap is right . . . I am glad I got this done before I saw the photo documentary. I would have been a nervous wreck!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 12:47 PM   #95
1978.530i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1978.530i View Post
I don't think I received a recall notice, but I had the car in for service recently and my tech said it was under recall and was replaced at no cost. Pretty sure mine was a July 2011 build.
Just got the notice in the mail!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 05:14 PM   #96
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flzrider View Post
Anyone know the p/n for the new cable? Are any repair instructions floating around the web?
Check out post 11 in this thread. It has a linked PDF file detailing the procedure. I received my recall notice a few months ago but have yet to get it done. My dealer just emailed me about it today oddly enough.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...8#post13744728
      09-04-2013, 05:39 PM   #97
burnsniper
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW F80 ZCP & 1M BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1978.530i View Post
Just got the notice in the mail!
WTF. People are still getting recall notices? My car was in for its first service last week and I had them check to see if my August build was under recall (the VIN was not in the recall database). Unfortunately, the car has to go back for some random airbag wheel tilt sensor that threw a code once when I started it around 6 weeks ago.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 06:29 PM   #98
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

According to this its only up to July, but the NHTSA notice doesnt specify manufacture date (just model years)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 08:53 PM   #99
flzrider
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
Check out post 11 in this thread. It has a linked PDF file detailing the procedure. I received my recall notice a few months ago but have yet to get it done. My dealer just emailed me about it today oddly enough.

Awesome! Thanks man.
      09-04-2013, 09:24 PM   #100
Slats
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M & 1997 M3

Let's see, leads out with an off topic slam about the recall ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em/1 View Post
Cuz we have more attorneys than the rest of the world combined.
and then, after admitting that the defect is a real problem that merits repair,
ends by saying ..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em/1 View Post
............. too off topic to continue.
Case closed.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 09:44 PM   #101
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep

For sure get to your SA and let them check your keyfob..

JUST GET IT DONE GUYS, its pretty simple as long as you watch every move from them.. infact i did miss a cover for the AC blower on feet. there's 4 holes and only 1 of them has cover and i did lost them.. did not know after or even before.. so just a little piece of work..
lol
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2013, 09:36 PM   #102
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

I just had this done a few days ago.

-Relatively- uneventful.

After I picked it up, though, the car displayed a yellow service required light (car on a lift) that remained as the exclamation-point-warning-triangle symbol. I left anyway because I had to get to work. (I also noticed that previous trip computer and mpg/Vmax settings were reset.) Then in the parking garage I was trying to clear the warning and the low battery warning briefly flashed on. (WTF? This is from a battery that is regularly hooked up to a CTEC battery tender.) I turned the car off, came back at the end of the day, and everything was fine other than the same warning light. Went home and put the battery on the tender, and it charged up to trickle very quickly, suggesting that the battery wasn't low on charge. Drove it later that night with the same warning light. Pissed.
Next morning, everything back to normal. Any thoughts? Sounds like what happened to this guy:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=821505

Last edited by ayao; 09-21-2013 at 10:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2013, 08:43 AM   #103
nato-main-man-5am
special
Rep
Drives: 128i

Got this work done this last week. All without an issue -- and it was time for the 2 year brake line flush so got that done while there.

Well, one issue: I have wired a radar detector power lead into the fuses... and that has stopped working. I need to drop the glove box and see what's going on with that.

UPDATE: Took a look. Appeared to simply be they had unattached the ground for the radar power. But attaching that to a ground source didn't solve that

Spent a couple hours trouble shooting, still no luck. So now it looks like the recall may have cost me a couple hundred bucks to get this issue solved. Urgh.
Euro spec wide mirrors; sport wheel + paddles; staggered sport rims with Conti ExtremeContact DW. JL Audio 600/6 + technic harness; Gladen Audio 8" Woofers + musicarnw adapters; Morel Hybrid Ovations.

Last edited by nato-main-man-5am; 09-22-2013 at 01:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 03:46 PM   #104
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post

The manufacturer is required to send a recall notice. Sounds like the dealer is following up with you as well, Since this recall involves a battery cable, and there is the potential of severe damage or possible fire. If the vehicle were in your garage, a fire could spread to your home. This is not the first recall of this nature for BMW... there was an issue with the fan wiring on X5s a few years ago. Ford has had some recalls of this nature on the Expedition as well.

At this point, if a fire or catastrophic damage were to occur, the dealer can DISCLAIM coverage because the vehicle owner has not complied with the recall as they can show that they attemped to reach the consumer.

If your home or auto insurance handles an insurance claim for the vehicle damages or damages to a home.. the likelihood that they could pursue the manufacturer for this defect would be minimal because of the good faith efforts on the part of the manurfacturer to get the consumer to have the recall work done. That would mean that you would not recover your deductible if a claim was filed.

Thus, the take home message is as follows: get the recall performed Immediately.
In the meantime.... you might not want to park the car in the garage.....

I got mine done this past weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nato-main-man-5am View Post
Got this work done this last week. All without an issue -- and it was time for the 2 year brake line flush so got that done while there.
Mine was due for this as well. I'll keep the new fresh stock fluid in for 6 months over the " winter.. " then back to SRF.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 09-24-2013 at 05:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 03:51 PM   #105
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
I just had this done a few days ago.

-Relatively- uneventful.

After I picked it up, though, the car displayed a yellow service required light (car on a lift) that remained as the exclamation-point-warning-triangle symbol. I left anyway because I had to get to work. (I also noticed that previous trip computer and mpg/Vmax settings were reset.) Then in the parking garage I was trying to clear the warning and the low battery warning briefly flashed on. (WTF? This is from a battery that is regularly hooked up to a CTEC battery tender.) I turned the car off, came back at the end of the day, and everything was fine other than the same warning light. Went home and put the battery on the tender, and it charged up to trickle very quickly, suggesting that the battery wasn't low on charge. Drove it later that night with the same warning light. Pissed.
Next morning, everything back to normal. Any thoughts? Sounds like what happened to this guy:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=821505
my work notice indicates that my vehicle was placed on a battery tender/charger during the service.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 04:22 PM   #106
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Thus, the take home message is as follows: get the recall performed Immediately.

Such scenarios never even crossed my mind. Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to see when I can get it scheduled.
      09-23-2013, 05:32 PM   #107
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
my work notice indicates that my vehicle was placed on a battery tender/charger during the service.
That's kind of interesting -- my invoice was pretty sparse in detail other than to state something like "Perform battery cable connector recall" ...
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 02:37 AM   #108
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-K
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEM View Post
I got mine recall notification yesterday as well. September build.
lol, this is getting worst.
how bout EINSER M, if i'm not mistake he's July built too, did he get the recall..
sorry haven't followed this thread at all. but yes I've been recalled as well but haven't had the chance to go in for it yet ...
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 08:35 AM   #109
Klepper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M

Mine is in having the recall performed today. I hope all goes smoothly.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 06:32 PM   #110
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep

Feel lucky the dealer was just 5 Minutes away from my house lol, and did not need any scheduling. Though bad stuff that they are not very experience with "M" Car's