BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-16-2020, 10:10 PM   #1
drunkenup
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i, 2021 F150

1M Strut Brace - adjustment range?

Does anyone know if the 1M strut brace allows you to move the studs of your top hat/camber plate to the inner most point of the stud slot? Or if it allows movement at all since it doesn't appear to have any room for adjustment except perhaps at the center bolt point under the windshield cowl? It looks like it would interfere with the piece protruding from the tower next to the washer fluid filler neck

I need this additional range afforded by the strut tower slots since the Turner race camber plates don't offer enough range to move the adjuster as close to the inner edge of the tower opening as do other plates, it seems. Fitment also sucks on these as the plates are the same cast/cut pieces for the passenger and driver side; they are not mirrored copies of each other.
      06-30-2020, 08:35 PM   #2
gixracer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M3/SlickN55/SlickN54/128

I was able to get -2.0 without plates for camber up front on the 1M3. That’s with the the factory strut braces maxed out. My struts are pushed into the center bolt. There is some room but you could grind into the notch to give more room.
      07-01-2020, 12:44 AM   #3
lowside67
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenup View Post
Does anyone know if the 1M strut brace allows you to move the studs of your top hat/camber plate to the inner most point of the stud slot? Or if it allows movement at all since it doesn't appear to have any room for adjustment except perhaps at the center bolt point under the windshield cowl? It looks like it would interfere with the piece protruding from the tower next to the washer fluid filler neck

I need this additional range afforded by the strut tower slots since the Turner race camber plates don't offer enough range to move the adjuster as close to the inner edge of the tower opening as do other plates, it seems. Fitment also sucks on these as the plates are the same cast/cut pieces for the passenger and driver side; they are not mirrored copies of each other.
I don't understand your question - your strut tower has 3 bolts which are not slotted.

If your camber plate does not allow you to slide your strut top nut inboard enough to achieve the camber you want, it is either being limited by:
1) the length of the slots (which is part of the camber plate design) OR
2) the diameter of the strut tower circular opening (which is part of the unibody).

This is a picture of my old car with the 1M strut tower brace installed:

You can see, the limiting agent is the actual strut tower itself, not the brace on top of it. If you can't get to the edge of the strut tower opening, the problem is the camber plate, still not the strut tower brace.

-Mark
      07-01-2020, 07:47 PM   #4
drunkenup
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i, 2021 F150

They are most certainly slotted on my car, by about 7mm or so. This provides the camber gain on the stock strut top hat once the alignment pin is removed with no other aftermarket aids.

See here:
https://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=801686

My question is if the studs can sit in the most inboard position with the 1M bar in place.
      07-02-2020, 06:12 PM   #5
lowside67
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i

Really interesting - I was looking at the photos of my old car and I don't have any that clearly show the holes or slots, but generally once you have camber plates, it is somewhat a moot point. That really seems like a huge miss on the Turner plates - I had both Ground Control and Vorshlag and on both, the strut tower opening was by far the limiting agent, not the slots themselves.

In fact the only part I have left from my 128 is a set of Vorshlag plates - I could ship them to you for a pretty reasonable price if you want to be able to get more camber?

-Mark
      07-03-2020, 01:45 AM   #6
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i LMB 6MT ZMP Slicktop

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenup View Post
They are most certainly slotted on my car, by about 7mm or so. This provides the camber gain on the stock strut top hat once the alignment pin is removed with no other aftermarket aids.

See here:
https://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=801686

My question is if the studs can sit in the most inboard position with the 1M bar in place.
Mine can reach the most inboard position. At pretty much max inboard the RHS top hat wants to hit the stupid washer filler bracket.
      03-13-2022, 07:10 PM   #7
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

You can max out the camber allowed by the slots using the 1M strut brace.
Appreciate 0