BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-15-2020, 02:08 AM   #1
oldman_stew
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 128i

3Stage Intake Question

Hey all,

Was wondering if someone could help clear up some confusion for me. Im brand new to the N52 world so please go easy on my ignorance:

Im looking at getting this manifold, with the 2 outlets pictured:

However, realoem for my 2009 model seems to show only 1 outlet (#7 in diagram). Just curious if Im going to run into any problems? Any advice/info is much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 09:38 AM   #2
///Makis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman_stew View Post
Hey all,

Was wondering if someone could help clear up some confusion for me. Im brand new to the N52 world so please go easy on my ignorance:

However, realoem for my 2009 model seems to show only 1 outlet (#7 in diagram). Just curious if Im going to run into any problems? Any advice/info is much appreciated.
The outlets you're referring to in the pic I believe are for the ccv/pcv system. The 3si has the two disa valves one of them you can't see on this pictured manifold because it's on the underside but you can see two of the screws for mounting it.

Depending on the manifold you get and your car year you may need another hose to make the pcv system work for the manifold you get. Alternatively you can make your own with brass fittings and hoses but you need to make sure you keep the heater element plugged in (the hose connection on the right side has something that gets plugged into it) otherwise your car might throw codes. It's worth mentioning that there was a recall for these heater elements because some of them caught fire so you definitely have to replace it with a new version one if the one you get is the faulty one.

There's a video I saw recently where someone with a z4 installed an OCC between the valve cover and manifold which should help with oil accumulating in the manifold and ruining the silicone on the disas.

But the point being he showed how he replaced the OEM hoses with high temp silicone ones but also re used the plastic connecting pieces. There was another guy on this forum that did something similar with silicone hoses after he broke the oem hose. They become really brittle with age and are a PITA to take off.

I think if you have extra hoses on hand and you follow the stigs diy you should be ok if you're mechanically inclined. But otherwise wait for someone with more experience to chime in.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 09:39 AM   #3
///Makis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

If you want to find the video of the guy with the z4 you can google "N52 magnesium valve cover conversion part 1" and I think you can find it. It's not what you're looking for per se but it shows a lot of interesting stuff for the OCC and the hoses that might help
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 12:02 PM   #4
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman_stew View Post
Hey all,

[IMG]https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/OjAAA...Y0/s-l1600.jpg[/IMG]

Your car should have two outlets. Easy to check with a flash light. You just need to remove the oil separator and hoses from this manifold and use your existing vent hose. Should not require any modification of the hoses. Just make sure the manifold is from a 3.0L engine, and not a 2.5. Also make sure it has two DISA on it, there are versions with only one.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 02:24 PM   #5
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Oh ya, just got my 3SIM, from an 06 330. Bought a new one from here at work, along with a new breather hose.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1