BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-19-2012, 04:06 AM   #1
gtappers
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

Question Buying '08 135i - catalytic/emissions lamp?

Hi folks..

I was test-driving a stock '08 135i recently with relatively low kilometres, and the catalytic/emissions light lit up in the second half of my 30 min test drive. I'd been driving it pretty aggressively, and when I got back and told the dealer he called the BMW service centre, and they said it could just be that it'd been sitting on the lot un-driven for a week and had been cold. We spent a while even looking for what the lamp actually meant, so I don't think he was actually being dishonest. After turning off the car and turning it back on the light didn't come back on.

If there's a legit/significant issue, would you expect the lamp to stay lit? I'm not currently a BMW owner so not sure of what to expect. It would be good to have some independent advice on whether a once off or anything else worth checking into, short of a full BMW service inspection which is probably a bit impractical.

Thanks in advance, experts!
Appreciate 0