BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-25-2012, 08:45 AM   #23
Canyon Carver
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LCI M2 - Long Beach Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyphy1 View Post
I saw that you had the suspension kit as well. I heard those who switch the run-flats to nonrun-flats without a reasonable suspension kit, experience a "squishy" ride. whats your thoughts?
That could be true, but since I've always had the suspension, I don't have much basis for comparison. I can tell you that in no way does my car feel squishy at all. It's perfectly balanced now. Our cars are famous for Understeer...my suspension eliminated almost all understeer, but there were always other ride quality issues that I decided to just live with (Following grooves, feeling like a pogo stick over small dips, etc). I was thrilled when all of those issues went away after switching to the Super Sports. It was finally the car I wanted...I always knew tires mattered, just never realized how much with this car.

On the track (Lime Rock), I had to push it to the limit to even get the slightest bit of understeer. The Super Sports made an already great suspension even better. It just balanced out perfectly. I could get on the throttle out of corners and knew exactly what the car was going to do, I could feel subtleties in the cars handling that I couldn't feel before. I could brake deeper into the corners because I knew it wouldn't wiggle or get twitchy. I believe someone else mentioned that it's like "Unlocking" a hidden feature in your car...they're right.

Even if I didn't have the suspension, I'd rather have squishy and grippy vs. the other issues run-flats come with...but that's me, everyone is different I suppose.

2018 M2 LCI - Long Beach Blue Metallic - MT
2017 Camaro SS - MT (Sold)
2011 135i N55 - MT - Suspension+Stage 1 PPK (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 09:59 AM   #24
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=774141
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 07:14 PM   #25
POS1
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i M

My ride didn't get squishy but I also went from 17" to 18" wheels. The ride got a bit softer, but only a fraction so and just enough to make the ride better.

As for flats, buy very high quality tires and you'll already minimize that as a possibility. And I'll just call AAA, but I'm a member because of all the old cars I own.

Lastly, yes I very much dig all my toys. They all get driven regularly and without fear. If I'm on the highway, I'm usually passing everyone - regardless what I'm driving! Just my way...
1971 Chevy Suburban 4x4
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 12:50 AM   #26
Huecifer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 128i

Does switching off of run flats mess with the TPMS at all?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 08:48 AM   #27
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huecifer View Post
Does switching off of run flats mess with the TPMS at all?
Nope.
      12-22-2012, 12:36 AM   #28
FIRST1
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i Melbourne Red

I was going to get all-season Continental DWS, but now I'm thinking of just getting DW's because I can avoid driving in snow. Does anyone know what I'd be compromising by using summer tires in cold weather (but not snowing)?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 11:32 AM   #29
Suhb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i Coupe 6-Speed

^curious about the same thing as FIRST1
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 05:40 PM   #30
Huecifer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 128i

In my experience, using summer tires in cooler weather just makes you eat through the tires faster...
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 10:45 PM   #31
andnkuhn
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i.N55.6SPD.M-SPORT

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhb View Post
^curious about the same thing as FIRST1
subscribed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huecifer View Post
In my experience, using summer tires in cooler weather just makes you eat through the tires faster...
anyone else find this?
      12-23-2012, 11:12 PM   #32
631twentyeighteye
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

I used my summers until about december this year. It was fine on the cold roads, they're just a little less grippy or tacky. It takes less to make them slide so i did tend to find myself drifting a bit more then in the hot summer. But thats all up to you if you wanna drive like that.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 12:09 AM   #33
SpaceGhost
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xdrive

I agree with the switch to non-RFTs. I did this with my 2007 335i coupe and my current 135i.

I swapped the RFTs on my 335i for Hankook Ventus V12 Evos. I will admit that there was a small amount of squishyness (sp?). I increased the air pressure in the tires by 8-10 psi and the ride was fantastic. Great grip and handling.

My 2010 135i (CPO) actually came with Michelin PSSs and the ride is in no way squishy. Grip is awesome and the tires are relatively quiet. I am a big fan.

If money is no object, get the PSSs. If you are on a budget, try the Evo V12s.

You will never go back to RFTs.

BTW, I carry a Slime brand mobility kit in my car. It was about $70 at Autozone and came with a nice compressor, plugs, tools to plug the tire, and a bottle of slime if those options do not work.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 12:15 AM   #34
Grayson
Heisenberg
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

I run Michelin PSS tires as well. Hands down, one of the best performance upgrades you can do for your car. I believe it's around $1000 for a whole set, but there is a reason they're ranked #1 on Tire Rack. Amazing performance and longevity, absolutely no compromises even in cooler weather or downpours.

AR Catless Downpipes | Berk Full Street Exhaust | HPF FMIC | COBB AP | aFe Magnum Stage 2 | E93 M3 Front Sway Bar & Bushings | Michelin Pilot Super Sports | Hardwired Radar | Eurotek BBS LM | Schmiedmann LCI Blacklines | BMW Performance: Spoiler, Diffuser, Shift Boot, E-Brake
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 09:54 AM   #35
lastMleft
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson View Post
I run Michelin PSS tires as well. Hands down, one of the best performance upgrades you can do for your car. I believe it's around $1000 for a whole set, but there is a reason they're ranked #1 on Tire Rack. Amazing performance and longevity, absolutely no compromises even in cooler weather or downpours.
+1^^.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 12:25 PM   #36
Canyon Carver
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andnkuhn View Post
subscribed.

anyone else find this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRST1 View Post
I was going to get all-season Continental DWS, but now I'm thinking of just getting DW's because I can avoid driving in snow. Does anyone know what I'd be compromising by using summer tires in cold weather (but not snowing)?
I haven't found there to be much of a compromise running summer performance in cold weather. Of course, an all-season performance may do better, but ultimately, I want stick and grip during prime season when it's warm and I refuse to spend the money on an intermediate set. In the summer, I turn off traction control immediately when I get in the car...in the winter, I tend to leave it on more as cooler temps just don't provide as much grip (With any tire)...and in the Northeast, you never know if there's a patch of ice lurking around the next corner. Things can get a little squirrelly if you put your foot down (Which can be fun if you have the runoff, if not - well...)

I don't have a set of winter rims/tires, though I'd like to...I haven't tried the PSS in the snow, and don't think I will. Since I'm in NYC I'm lucky that I don't have to depend on my car for transportation. When it snows, it sits. I take it out in every other condition, just not snow.

I found the PSS's to be great in the rain - I was pushing around Lime Rock on a day with torrential downpours and managed to get a lot of grip, surprising, really. So I've been very happy with their wet performance, but in snow, I can't imagine ANY summer performance tire would be safe or worth taking the risk on. When I still had the dreaded run-flats, I took my car out in snow ONCE and drifted right though a stop sign. Luckily, it wasn't a busy intersection, but it scared me enough to know that driving on summer tires in the snow is just a really bad idea. All other conditions should be fine, imho.

Lastly, I'm not sure I'd agree that cooler weather makes you eat through summer tires faster...I don't see the logic or science in that statement. I can understand snow tires getting eaten without snow (Been there, done that) due to tread depth and flexibility. But I've never seen extraneous wear from running Summer tires in the cold. Just my experience...

Ultimately, I want to get a set of Winter Tires / Rims at some point...

Last edited by Canyon Carver; 12-24-2012 at 12:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 05:43 PM   #37
FIRST1
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i Melbourne Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyon Carver View Post
I haven't found there to be much of a compromise running summer performance in cold weather. Of course, an all-season performance may do better, but ultimately, I want stick and grip during prime season when it's warm and I refuse to spend the money on an intermediate set. In the summer, I turn off traction control immediately when I get in the car...in the winter, I tend to leave it on more as cooler temps just don't provide as much grip (With any tire)...and in the Northeast, you never know if there's a patch of ice lurking around the next corner. Things can get a little squirrelly if you put your foot down (Which can be fun if you have the runoff, if not - well...)

I don't have a set of winter rims/tires, though I'd like to...I haven't tried the PSS in the snow, and don't think I will. Since I'm in NYC I'm lucky that I don't have to depend on my car for transportation. When it snows, it sits. I take it out in every other condition, just not snow.

I found the PSS's to be great in the rain - I was pushing around Lime Rock on a day with torrential downpours and managed to get a lot of grip, surprising, really. So I've been very happy with their wet performance, but in snow, I can't imagine ANY summer performance tire would be safe or worth taking the risk on. When I still had the dreaded run-flats, I took my car out in snow ONCE and drifted right though a stop sign. Luckily, it wasn't a busy intersection, but it scared me enough to know that driving on summer tires in the snow is just a really bad idea. All other conditions should be fine, imho.

Lastly, I'm not sure I'd agree that cooler weather makes you eat through summer tires faster...I don't see the logic or science in that statement. I can understand snow tires getting eaten without snow (Been there, done that) due to tread depth and flexibility. But I've never seen extraneous wear from running Summer tires in the cold. Just my experience...

Ultimately, I want to get a set of Winter Tires / Rims at some point...
Interesting. This deserves a new thread. I'm gona find some opinions on this.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 09:55 PM   #38
135Passion
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Grey BMW 2009 135i

Based off many replies on this thread I gathered that my OEM Run Flats are sub-par, something I can already tell having driven my friend's 128i with Pirelli's, I enjoy performance driving and need tires with great grip and life, however also relatively cost effective and not too expensive, any ideas?

Thanks for the help
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 12:44 AM   #39
lastMleft
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Passion View Post
Based off many replies on this thread I gathered that my OEM Run Flats are sub-par, something I can already tell having driven my friend's 128i with Pirelli's, I enjoy performance driving and need tires with great grip and life, however also relatively cost effective and not too expensive, any ideas?

Thanks for the help
Hankook, Toyo, Yokohama, Michelin...and so on
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 01:13 AM   #40
SpaceGhost
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xdrive

See my earlier post... I had Hankook Ventus Evo 12s on my old 335 and they were great in dry and wet. If you look around or wait, Hankook often offers a nice discount on these. I think I paid about $95-$105 per tire in 2010.

Having said that...the PSS are superior in every way to any performance tire I have owned (Pirelli, Toyo, Bridgestone etc)

Quote:

Thanks for the help
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 07:35 AM   #41
Canyon Carver
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Thanks for the help
My second choice was going to be the Continental DW Extreme Performance. Half the price of my Michelin PSS and based on the research I did, a great tire.

Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 08:34 AM   #42
davefromfla
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M440ix

I have had both the Continental DW and Michelin PSS on my 135s. Both are excellent, and way better than either the Bridgestone or Dunlop RFTs that came on the cars. That said, the Michelin PSS is the best tire I have had on any of my cars. The PSS's were about $200 more for a set of 4 than the Continental DW's. I recommend both, but if you have the money, get the Michelin PSS.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 08:41 AM   #43
Canyon Carver
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135-dmc View Post
I have had both the Continental DW and Michelin PSS on my 135s. Both are excellent, and way better than either the Bridgestone or Dunlop RFTs that came on the cars. That said, the Michelin PSS is the best tire I have had on any of my cars. The PSS's were about $200 more for a set of 4 than the Continental DW's. I recommend both, but if you have the money, get the Michelin PSS.
Agreed...but you must've gotten a great deal on your PSS's. When I priced Conti's vs. Michelin, they Conti's were about 4-500 less...

Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 12:48 PM   #44
Canyon Carver
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

From the August 2012 Issue of C&D:

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test

Appreciate 0