BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-31-2012, 07:49 AM   #1
SamChas
ON TRACK !
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 1 series M coupé

Misfire problem

Actually have a misfire problem. I have the JB4 before And thinking it was the problem, we do the Updated yesterday who recently be released ( March I think ) thinking it gonna fix the problem. But negative !! The OBD computer find the problem in cynlinder 1 ...

It is possible that the JB4 cause the problem or not !?

I remove the JB4 and maybe I will install a Vishnu when the problem gonna be fix.
MODZ:BMW Performance Steering, Matte Black Kidnney Grill, Vishnu Pro-ceed, Matte Black ///M Badge, Tinted Windows, Black Side Marker with Clear Tint. AFE Intake, ActiveAutowerke Downpipe, ActiveAutowerke Charge pipe With BOV kit, Black Exhaust tip, PowderCoated Wheels||
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 07:55 AM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

So... if your car misfires on cylinder #1 why not just replace that coil?

Also.... how are your spark plugs looking & how old are they? Plugs should be changed every 45K miles or even sooner. They make a huge difference.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 07:59 AM   #3
SamChas
ON TRACK !
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone

Also.... how are your spark plugs looking & how old are they? Plugs should be changed every 45K miles or even sooner. They make a huge difference.
The car have 15,000km ...

I will send it to the BMW dealer for that
MODZ:BMW Performance Steering, Matte Black Kidnney Grill, Vishnu Pro-ceed, Matte Black ///M Badge, Tinted Windows, Black Side Marker with Clear Tint. AFE Intake, ActiveAutowerke Downpipe, ActiveAutowerke Charge pipe With BOV kit, Black Exhaust tip, PowderCoated Wheels||
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 11:07 AM   #4
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Actually before you replace anything or send it to get "fixed", how about you remove the tune and return it back to stock? I've read of many people that have had issues in the past with the tuning crap. If you remove it and the misfire error goes away, you'll have your answer, instead of "upgrading" the JB4 or switching to a different product.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 11:29 AM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SerieStud View Post
Actually before you replace anything or send it to get "fixed", how about you remove the tune and return it back to stock? I've read of many people that have had issues in the past with the tuning crap. If you remove it and the misfire error goes away, you'll have your answer, instead of "upgrading" the JB4 or switching to a different product.

Yes, always a good idea to remove mods before servicing.

I thought the OP said he has a JB4 ??? I just don't understand WHY he doesn't read the exact OBD-II code of the misfire? Then go from there.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 01:45 PM   #6
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SerieStud View Post
There are a quite a few tunes -- some flash, others piggyback -- available for the N54 motor that are not "crap", JB4, Procede, and Cobb among them.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 07:47 AM   #7
SamChas
ON TRACK !
Canada
Rep

I allready remove the JB4 ! And the problem stay there !
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 08:05 AM   #8
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

Here's what BMW did to diagnose the same issue with my girlfriends 650i... Swap cylinder 1's coil pack with cylinder 2's. Move cylinder 1's spark plug to cylinder 3. Drive car and see if you get a misfire. If it shows up on cylinder 2, it's the coil pack. If it shows up on cylinder 3, it's the spark plug. If it is still present on cylinder 1, it's something else like the injector. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 08:10 AM   #9
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Dack thats on a stock car. Youre supposed to half it with a tune.

20-25K on the plugs.

Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 12:28 PM   #10
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone

I had a misfire in cylinder 3 with my tune and I couldn't replicate it in stock form. I changed the coil pack and the spark plugs and it went away and the car feels new.
Appreciate 0