BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-27-2019, 02:35 PM   #1
blackmist222777
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Video: How to maintenance wash your BMW 1M!

Hi Folks,

I decided to make a quick video on how I wash my 1M and the products I use. If you want to check it out here you go:

Hope you all enjoy!

2023 G80 M3
2020 F87 M2C
2011 E82 BMW 1M Series Coupe
Check me out at Point.Shift.Drive (YouTube)
Appreciate 1
Tornado1M1206.00
      03-28-2019, 08:01 AM   #2
Alan1M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

I am not an expert in washing but will pass along my 2 cents.

- It looks like you are cleaning the wheels with the same mitt as you use on the car? I believe that is a big no-no, buy some dedicated wheel cleaning brushes. Otherwise you are just collecting the dirt and dust for the next time you use the mitt on the body.

- I assume you power washed the car completely before starting with the soap? I rinse mine, cover it in soap using the spray gun (my black 1M turns white) and then start the hand process.

- Working top down is best, never clean the bottom of the car and immediately move to the top of the next section without rinsing the mitt. The lower part of the car captures the most dirt.

- I have seen some people start with the wheels, get them clean then focus on the body. I used to do my wheels last but have started to switch. This allows you to rinse and dry the body after washing without worrying about the wheels.

Either way, thanks for posting. It's nice to see people putting the effort in to share their cars and the work they put into them. And nice choice on the color - black is clearly the best color for these cars (biased!!)
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 10:16 AM   #3
blackmist222777
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eiremon View Post
I am not an expert in washing but will pass along my 2 cents.

- It looks like you are cleaning the wheels with the same mitt as you use on the car? I believe that is a big no-no, buy some dedicated wheel cleaning brushes. Otherwise you are just collecting the dirt and dust for the next time you use the mitt on the body.

- I assume you power washed the car completely before starting with the soap? I rinse mine, cover it in soap using the spray gun (my black 1M turns white) and then start the hand process.

- Working top down is best, never clean the bottom of the car and immediately move to the top of the next section without rinsing the mitt. The lower part of the car captures the most dirt.

- I have seen some people start with the wheels, get them clean then focus on the body. I used to do my wheels last but have started to switch. This allows you to rinse and dry the body after washing without worrying about the wheels.

Either way, thanks for posting. It's nice to see people putting the effort in to share their cars and the work they put into them. And nice choice on the color - black is clearly the best color for these cars (biased!!)
Thanks for the note..
Yes, i actually have triples of everything... so the mitt is the wheel and exhaust mit but I didnt mention that. I think thats a good point to point out.

I appreciate the confidence boost. Since starting my channel, I have a new found appreciation for folks that try and share DIYs etc. Its a ton of work... I personally enjoy it though. Its like a break from everyday responsibilities to just be around cars. Cant hurt that its often a 1M too

2023 G80 M3
2020 F87 M2C
2011 E82 BMW 1M Series Coupe
Check me out at Point.Shift.Drive (YouTube)
Appreciate 0