BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-26-2023, 07:51 PM   #1
bmwboyee
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i

2011 135i Coolant Leak

TLDR: Coolant leak that looks around crank hub...super confused.

So today I was headed to work and at a stop light noticed my hood starting to smoke. Knowing this isn't normal I pulled over to inspect. What I saw was antifreeze being slung around. I couldn't really tell where it was coming from.

I had someone come pick me up and let the car sit for about 5 hours. I did not get any warnings nor do I have any codes (when using torque app). I haven't run inpa yet.

I wanted to try and get it home and did see some loss of coolant so filled it up.

Drive home was fine and monitored coolant temps. Let it idle when I got home and could not see any leaks. Monitoring temps while idling it got up to 217F so I decided to shut it down. When I did, it seems like the coolant "exploded" and went over the front of the fan and on the belts. This was similar to what I saw the first time.

When looking from the top, it looked like it was coming from the crank hub.
Jacked the car up to investigate. Looked around the water pump...dry. Looked around the t stat...dry.

I have some dye on the way but if anyone has any ideas, I searched and could not find. Help is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2023, 10:18 AM   #2
bmwboyee
Private
Rep

Just to add, I went through the water pump procedure and it seems to be running fine.

Appreciate 0
      05-08-2023, 08:20 AM   #3
bmwboyee
Private
Rep

Just wanted to report back. Seems to have been the coolant flange "Mickey Mouse flange". I had to order a couple before i found one that would actually fit. It seems the gaskets are too large in most of the flanges out there. Ended up going with this one and it fit well when I applied a little of o ring grease to get it to slide.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BG89C816...roduct_details
Appreciate 1
houtan705.50