BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-05-2008, 02:34 AM   #1
Yuzi
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Where can I get Aquapel glass treatment?

Anyone knows where I can buy Aquapel in Vancouver area?

128i | Jet Black | Premium package | Sport package | 18" Style 263 | 6MT | Injen Intake | BMS PowerBox |SOLD
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2008, 09:14 AM   #2
looking
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135

What's the difference between this and rain-x?

Rain-x is available at any Canadian tire
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2008, 01:41 PM   #3
1erich
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 135i

I just use rain-x winshield washer fluid and it works amazingly well. No need to apply anything. It ticks me off though when my car is being serviced and they top it off with standard fluid...
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2008, 08:38 PM   #4
Yuzi
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by excel View Post
What's the difference between this and rain-x?

Rain-x is available at any Canadian tire
Aquapel rain repellent does the same as Rain-x rain repellent but it is aviation grade and it last 6 times longer than Rain-x, not to mention it doesnt steak like Rain-X

128i | Jet Black | Premium package | Sport package | 18" Style 263 | 6MT | Injen Intake | BMS PowerBox |SOLD
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2008, 11:10 PM   #5
looking
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135

maybe I'll pick that up, since it looks like we have a lot of suppliers here in TO. hahah maybe you should check if seattle's got any suppliers?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 09:59 AM   #6
Qube
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E39 540 :: 09 STi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuzi View Post
Aquapel rain repellent does the same as Rain-x rain repellent but it is aviation grade and it last 6 times longer than Rain-x, not to mention it doesnt steak like Rain-X
Perhaps an application issue. I've used Rain-x on all 'our' cars since the early 90s (12+ cars). Usually lasts about 6 months before you get nitpicky about not ALL water droplets are beading. Never lasts long on glass headlamps, probably because of the heat.

My usual application is one, dry, wipe. Next day, repeat. Then it's good for 6 months and then some.

By that standard, Aquapel will last for at least two years. If that's a truth and it's not 2x more expensive, let me know.

By the way, before you treat with Rain-x, make sure your window is clean. If it's been many years, then a little clay bar will help. It's like trying to polish and seal paint that's been heavily oxidized... just won't work the same.
      12-09-2008, 10:04 AM   #7
Yearofthe1
An ex-addict :-(
Rep
Drives: VFR1200F

I've used Aquapel for 5 years now and I'll never go back to rain-x again. Aquapel really puts rain-x to shame. It is worth the premium, trust me. BTW, the more you use it, the longer it seems to last between applications.

Here's where I order mine:

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/...=AQUAPEL&ID=18

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We search for certainty and call what we find destiny. Everything is possible, yet only one thing happens.
-Michael and Ellen Kaplan
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 10:05 AM   #8
Qube
Lieutenant
Rep

How much have you spent on Aquapel on 5 years versus a single bottle lasting multiple years? Really...

NOTE: I'm taking it off topic from the OP. Excuse me. The question was where, not a debate.
      12-09-2008, 04:26 PM   #9
Yearofthe1
An ex-addict :-(
Rep
Drives: VFR1200F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qube View Post
How much have you spent on Aquapel on 5 years versus a single bottle lasting multiple years? Really...

NOTE: I'm taking it off topic from the OP. Excuse me. The question was where, not a debate.
I might use 2 applicators per year for the windshield. Rain-X has never worked as well as Aquapel, and after only 1 good spell of rain, it's water-repelling qualities go to crap. And yes, I did make sure the windshield is very clean before-hand (I use Invisible Glass from Stoner). Plus Rain-X always leaves that nasty streakiness that manages to catch the sun at certain times of the day and blinds the hell out of you. Aquapel has never had that streaking effect. Of course the cost is more, but you will always pay a premium for quality products. You should know, you did buy a BMW :wink:

When it comes to safety, I don't skimp, and having a clear view out your windows is probably the number 1 safety concern.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We search for certainty and call what we find destiny. Everything is possible, yet only one thing happens.
-Michael and Ellen Kaplan
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 05:02 PM   #10
Qube
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yearofthe1 View Post
I might use 2 applicators per year for the windshield. Rain-X has never worked as well as Aquapel, and after only 1 good spell of rain, it's water-repelling qualities go to crap. And yes, I did make sure the windshield is very clean before-hand (I use Invisible Glass from Stoner). Plus Rain-X always leaves that nasty streakiness that manages to catch the sun at certain times of the day and blinds the hell out of you. Aquapel has never had that streaking effect. Of course the cost is more, but you will always pay a premium for quality products. You should know, you did buy a BMW :wink:

When it comes to safety, I don't skimp, and having a clear view out your windows is probably the number 1 safety concern.
Indeed. I've used Rain-x on all three current BMWs and have excellent results, no streaking, no chattering from blades and such. I use Rain-x on EVERYTHING... including things like my PSP and NDS screens.

So no streaks, it's inexpensive, and treats just about everything. It seems like I'm definitely the exception, but that doesn't mean if someone throws me a stick of Aquapel I wouldn't try it

I DO find it's all about how you apply it. For example, my buddy with an Integra... had him clay bar the glass, clean it with Invisible Glass foam, wash, then apply. His may last a month or so before water doesn't bead perfectly round. For me, again, no joke... 6 months and it beads like a freshly waxed car (in that case, the rest of the car ). Maybe I put more care and attention than he does, who knows.

To each his own. If $9 bucks an application will guarantee perfect results, do that. I'll be sticking to a cheaper alternative because I know I can get it right every time (and I can use it for other things... read: paintball mask!)