BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-21-2015, 06:17 PM   #1
Tony135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ‘22 Model 3

1M conversion value

Hey guys, some of you may know I have a 2012 135i that I did a full OEM 1M body conversion on. I've been looking to sell it recently and it's tough because no one has sold a 1M conversion yet, so it's tough to pinpoint a value on it. I figured the best place for advice would be in here, so help me out!

A few details about my car:

The car has 70k, most of which are freeway miles. The car has DCT, and has every option but the alarm, back up sensors, and heated seats. The car has been maintained well and just got back from replacing the water pump, thermostat, and expansion tank. There are a few minor issues you'd expect at 70k miles, but most will be taken care of prior to selling. Some of the issues are the outside temperature sensor is damaged, replacement shock is on the way, and the door needs to be rewrapped.

1M widebody conversion
3M satin black wrap
Mode Carbon rear diffuser
Mode Carbon front splitter
Mode Carbon spoiler
Custom quad exhaust tips
A&R catless down pipe
ER Front mount intercooler
ER Charge pipe
BMS JB4 stage 2
Ksport Kontrol pro coils
Zito Wheels/Toyo T1R's

Anyway, if any of you guys have any idea of some sort of value to place, that would be great! If this was a stock 135 with a 135i body, the value on it seems to be 24k. I have to imagine the 1M body adds more to that. Thanks guys.

Last edited by Tony135; 05-21-2015 at 06:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 07:10 PM   #2
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

I'm pretty sure someone sold a space gray N54 half conversion (ie front fenders only) about a year ago. If memory serves me, he had around 40k miles, ARC-8 wheels, LSD, and full suspension. I think he was asking $31.5k, but it was an A/T which tend to sell at a discount to M/T and DCT equipped cars. I'd say a full conversion should sell for an $8-10k premium to an educated buyer.

Edit: This doesn't consider other mods you may have.... just the conversion and wheels.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 07:18 PM   #3
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Farmer View Post
I'm pretty sure someone sold a space gray N54 half conversion (ie front fenders only) about a year ago. If memory serves me, he had around 40k miles, ARC-8 wheels, LSD, and full suspension. I think he was asking $31.5k, but it was an A/T which tend to sell at a discount to M/T and DCT equipped cars. I'd say a full conversion should sell for an $8-10k premium to an educated buyer.

Edit: This doesn't consider other mods you may have.... just the conversion and wheels.
Boy my memory is bad. In any case, here's the car...

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...&highlight=SGM
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 07:20 PM   #4
135TX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 135i

First off I'd think that a build thread or perhaps at least a discussion of the way the rear quarters are done might help perspective buyers. Regardless...
Here is my thought process:
Base car ~24k
-2k depreciation for accident on history (I'd say it detracts from blue book but not sure how to quantify so value attributable to potential buyer will vary)
+_x_value of mods at full price then cut in half ( just the way it goes)
+8k for 1m conversion ( total value of conversion discounted 25-50%)
So I'm thinking 30-35k ish
Which would be a good deal imo
You'll never regret pursuing what you really want....ever. You will, however, regret NOT doing things you wanted to do.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 07:22 PM   #5
135TX
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135TX View Post
First off I'd think that a build thread or perhaps at least a discussion of the way the rear quarters are done might help perspective buyers. Regardless...
Here is my thought process:
Base car ~24k
-2k depreciation for accident on history (I'd say it detracts from blue book but not sure how to quantify so value attributable to potential buyer will vary)
+_x_value of mods at full price then cut in half ( just the way it goes)
+8k for 1m conversion ( total value of conversion discounted 25-50%)
So I'm thinking 30-35k ish
Which would be a good deal imo
While i was thinking the above posts came through, but I didn't see them till I had posted kinda crazy the 8k conversion value was common
You'll never regret pursuing what you really want....ever. You will, however, regret NOT doing things you wanted to do.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 07:35 PM   #6
Ultimateone
OG E46Fanatic
Rep
Drives: 24 Champ White CTR

I don't think it will add much to your resale value only if the buyer was a true enthusiast.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 07:49 PM   #7
135TX
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimateone View Post
I don't think it will add much to your resale value only if the buyer was a true enthusiast.
I think that's the point. It would likely not be sold to the mainstream public, but to someone who appreciates the work done.

And I personally believe lots of people would. Cleary by the 10+ people who have done the conversion at full cost it has value to them. But hey I'm biased as I'm weighing the thought of doing mine lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 09:06 PM   #8
EldRick
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M VO - #161 US

I would guess no more than $3K-4K over what the 135 beneath it would go for with the same mileage, because the market is very small, and any potential buyer should (rightfully) be suspicious of the longevity of such extensive work.

Don't get me wrong, it's Pretty, but you won't find many people lining up to buy it.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 02:45 AM   #9
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony135
Hey guys, some of you may know I have a 2012 135i that I did a full OEM 1M body conversion on. I've been looking to sell it recently and it's tough because no one has sold a 1M conversion yet, so it's tough to pinpoint a value on it. I figured the best place for advice would be in here, so help me out!

A few details about my car:

The car has 70k, most of which are freeway miles. The car has DCT, and has every option but the alarm, back up sensors, and heated seats. The car has been maintained well and just got back from replacing the water pump, thermostat, and expansion tank. There are a few minor issues you'd expect at 70k miles, but most will be taken care of prior to selling. Some of the issues are the outside temperature sensor is damaged, replacement shock is on the way, and the door needs to be rewrapped.

1M widebody conversion
3M satin black wrap
Mode Carbon rear diffuser
Mode Carbon front splitter
Mode Carbon spoiler
Custom quad exhaust tips
A&R catless down pipe
ER Front mount intercooler
ER Charge pipe
BMS JB4 stage 2
Ksport Kontrol pro coils
Zito Wheels/Toyo T1R's

Anyway, if any of you guys have any idea of some sort of value to place, that would be great! If this was a stock 135 with a 135i body, the value on it seems to be 24k. I have to imagine the 1M body adds more to that. Thanks guys.

[IMG]https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...4c&oe=5608B6CF" rel="" target="_blank">http://<a href="https://scontent-sjc...e=5608B6CF</a>[/IMG]
There's no wrong place to ask this question, but you might have better luck in the regular 1-er forum. I'm sure more than a few folks would like to do the conversion, but haven't, given the cost.

On the other hand, this crowd has/or is considering paying 50k+ for the real deal.

+1 on the build thread.

EDIT: btw, looks great. If you don't mind sharing, what did the wrap run you?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 05:02 AM   #10
COChris
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2C

It should sell for the same premium expected for any tasteful widebody kit BMW. Looks great.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 12:00 PM   #11
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Farmer View Post
Boy my memory is bad. In any case, here's the car...

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...&highlight=SGM
That car never sold. Venom had his full conversion for sale for quite some time, it never sold. I believe he had it listed high $20k, manual car.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 12:01 PM   #12
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep

OP what color is car under wrap? Was car painted properly after conversion, before wrap was applied?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 12:12 PM   #13
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
your conversion seems to be primarily cosmetic; there are no 'deeper' parts used for a real 1M conversion (see 'ilikebmxbikes' build with full E9X M3 parts used).

Considering it's mainly cosmetic, i don't feel it adds a lot to the value.....but to the RIGHT BUYER, it may be worth $25K-30K depending on if you can find a buyer specifically looking for the 1M cosmetic changes without the actual 1M upgrades and modifications.

EDIT: i know you have other modifications that are NOT cosmetic, but those are more 135 mods and are not 1M specific modifications. I also think the 135 forum is a better place for you to find answers rather than here....

Last edited by IEDEI; 05-22-2015 at 12:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 12:17 PM   #14
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blipit_ View Post
That car never sold. Venom had his full conversion for sale for quite some time, it never sold. I believe he had it listed high $20k, manual car.
that car was nowhere near a 'full conversion' by any means......
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 02:38 PM   #15
Acidblast
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1 Series M Coupé

it is hard to hear... but if it is not a real 1M the majority of people don't care what mods you do to a car. You may have sank X amount of money into the car but people just don't care. They will offer you going market rate.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 03:22 PM   #16
Tony135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ‘22 Model 3

Thank you for all your responses!
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
your conversion seems to be primarily cosmetic; there are no 'deeper' parts used for a real 1M conversion (see 'ilikebmxbikes' build with full E9X M3 parts used).

Considering it's mainly cosmetic, i don't feel it adds a lot to the value.....but to the RIGHT BUYER, it may be worth $25K-30K depending on if you can find a buyer specifically looking for the 1M cosmetic changes without the actual 1M upgrades and modifications.

EDIT: i know you have other modifications that are NOT cosmetic, but those are more 135 mods and are not 1M specific modifications. I also think the 135 forum is a better place for you to find answers rather than here....
I know what you're saying. Marco's 1M3 is insane, mine is definitely not on that level. I know that most mods don't ever add anything to the value of a car but I figured the 1M widebody would add SOMETHING.

Now here's the new question to all of you... Would I be able to convince someone like Carmax that it's worth way more than a 135i with the work done to it? I could show them the value or the 1M and 135i and let them make the choice.

Either way, it doesn't need to be sold so I'll likely hold onto it and take the next few steps towards the S65 swap.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 04:49 PM   #17
lowbudgethero
Captain
Rep
Drives: '98 Z3M (gone), '09 135i

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [8.50]
I think the right person would be willing to pay you close dealer retail (high 20s to 30K) if you had all the paper work, maintenance etc.

You won't get that from carmax for sure though.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 05:52 PM   #18
KA SHING
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E88 135i

Garage List
I think a normal 135i price + 20-30% off your conversion will be fair. All the other mods are just simple mods, they will not add the value of the car.

And i think carmax will not take your car, because this is a car that did a UN-restorable modified. STOCK hold the value.

Good luck on your sale!!!

I always been thinking of doing a 1m conversion on my E88 135i, but the money really don't come back after your cut the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 08:40 PM   #19
Ultimateone
OG E46Fanatic
Rep
Drives: 24 Champ White CTR

Carmax won't care what you have done to it, no dealership would either as they would rather have it stock. The only way you'll get some extra $$ would be from person who wanted a 135.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 03:19 AM   #20
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
that car was nowhere near a 'full conversion' by any means......
My full conversion comment was in relation to first car mentioned. It only had the front 1m done. Full conversion...as in front and rear.

In reality I don't think a fully coverted 135i to 1M part for part even exists.

Last edited by DieGrüneHölle; 05-23-2015 at 01:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2015, 01:29 PM   #21
c63er
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

You are going to have to try to find someone who wants to pay a lot for a car that looks like a 1m but doesn't have the performance of one. That will be the main problem, so dont expect to get really anything for the money you put in to do the conversion.

Now if you had put in a v8 or something else that added enthusiast value to te car I bet you would have buyers lining up
      05-25-2015, 02:21 PM   #22
Yeineken
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i M Sport

Garage List
'11 135i  [8.20]
'16 Ford Hatchback  [0.00]
'15 X5  [10.00]
The real question is why convert a car if you never planned to keep it? :

Seems pointless.