BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-20-2009, 03:17 PM   #45
KeithLM
Proud 1er
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Crimson/Coral 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkbr0wn View Post
BTW, after looking further, it looks like the scoops are plastic. How exactly are you going to "increase flow" when the limiting factor would be the "plastic" scoops that are the only input into your metal plenum?
Those scoops are limiting, but then it's opened up and the air will turn smoother through the large opening. The old plenum bent in multiple directions and had that flexible section, that would add turbulence which would limit airflow. Also it pointed in the wrong direction.

I don't know if it'll make a real difference, some people claim it does though. The thing is it makes sense to me to direct the airflow as freely as possible to where it needs to be.

I'm no shill for Riss. They know I'm unhappy with them at the moment. But I have to wonder why you're posting in this. If you don't like the part, don't buy it. It'd be one thing if you bought their intake with the idea that the plenum would be real cheap, but otherwise I can't see why you are complaining.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 03:18 PM   #46
KeithLM
Proud 1er
No_Country
Rep

In between the scoops and plenum is a plastic piece, I'm guessing that is what he is referring to.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 03:21 PM   #47
dmailloux
Navy Chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 CBM X6M

Garage List
Quote:
"less opinionated and make it more... 'matter-of-fact' "???

So are you saying that the only thing on this thread should be dyno results from someone who ran a back to back comparison pre and post plenum?

This sure would be a boring place if you were in charge.
I see what you're saying, and I guess I mis-spoke. I'm just saying lets not flame the fuck out of their product. We said what our issues with the plenum were and what more do we need to say? Pictures were posted... if someone, after seeing the pictures of product, still wants to dish out 219 or whatever the fucking cost is, then good for them (and Riss Racing). Hear me?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 03:23 PM   #48
tkbr0wn
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithLM View Post
In between the scoops and plenum is a plastic piece, I'm guessing that is what he is referring to.
I am referring to the curved piece at the top that feeds the plenum.

Im just posting here because it looks like what has previously been a pretty respected company has finally succumbed to maximum profit over maximum design. $219 is ridiculous for this piece that took no thought and minimal effort to produce. It looks like junk and I felt like saying something. Ill leave it at that.

● 2015 Cayman S (Current), 2011 1M BSM #297 (Sold), 2008 135i (Sold) ●
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 03:49 PM   #49
Dangerlucas
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [5.50]
I just want to note that the problems experienced by me and others has nothing to do with the fitment of the Plenum. It fits just fine. The problem is that the power steering reservoir and it's bracket are getting in the way of the filter. I was able to modify my bracket and get everything mounted up just fine. It took a little bit to figure it out and I sure would have liked to have some direction before I went to install the Plenum, but it the end it only really took a couple of minutes to move things around to a way that would work. I think my friend and I spent all of 20 minutes under the hood dicking around. In the end it sounds like I've mounting things up incorrectly, but it a way that's working. I'll wait for the new DIY to confirm and and possibly move things around if I really feel like it.

As for the quality of the Plenum I think it's a really nice piece. The fitment was basically fine once I got that bracket out of the way, although the holes for the screws were just slightly off (not enough to cause a problem). The welds look really good to me and the coating is a hell of a lot better than what's on my downpipes and exhaust. I also really like the logo .

Now if Riss Racing could just sort out this bracket crap I would be perfectly happy with the products. As it stands now this is the second time I've had to deal with it (first time being when installing the DDV kit with the original bracket) and I really don't want to mess with this again.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 04:03 PM   #50
KeithLM
Proud 1er
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I just want to note that the problems experienced by me and others has nothing to do with the fitment of the Plenum. It fits just fine.
To me this contradicts with the following:
Quote:
The problem is that the power steering reservoir and it's bracket are getting in the way of the filter.
So it doesn't fit fine, not with the intake kit that they currently sell. To me this is a major oversight. After all, they call this the Stage 3 intake kit, right? If you were to go to them and order the full kit, they would not sell you one that fit, because the reservoir doesn't fit where they tell you to put it with the bracket as it is supplied.

If they made the plenum shorter by a few inches it would fit with the bracket as is. Still I was never satisfied with the intake and stock plenum and where the reservoir was repositioned. It was too tight, and they never provided good instructions on how to angle things to fit.

I think this kit has potential, once they resolve the reservoir issue. I like the design of the plenum and intake and I think it'll provide plenty of airflow. If force feeding the intake actually provides an advantage, then the Riss design seems better than the Injen.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 04:22 PM   #51
Dangerlucas
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [5.50]
Yes, as a whole the intake system doesn't fit just fine. The individual pieces, like the Plenum, fit on their own. It seems like the bracket design was a bit of an after thought and because of that we've had to suffer a bit.

Hopefully all will be clarified with the new DIY and I'll just realize that I was an idiot and put things in the completely wrong place. Either that or I would like Riss Racing to spend a little bit of time designing a new bracket that works with the full stage 3 intake.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 04:32 PM   #52
KeithLM
Proud 1er
No_Country
Rep

True, the plenum did appear to meet up with the front of the car fine, although I never screwed mine in and felt like it might have problems, but once I get it mounted I'll see. My point though is that now they sell the intake with the new bracket, and the plenum isn't usable without their intake, yet it doesn't fit with the intake kit they sell now.

By the way, I notice that the guys from Riss are being rather limited in what they are saying here, which is appropriate with the rules of 1Addicts. There is a thread in the commercial forum, but there hasn't been much said there lately. Hopefully at some point they'll be more forthcoming in one of these two threads about these issues and what needs to be done about them.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 04:34 PM   #53
rcracer_tx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i

Quote:
Well, there's a rather quick way to figure out if you opinion translates to fact. I believe Injen has Dyno numbers for their intake. I would love to see some independent dyno numbers for the Riss Racing Intake + the 2:15 Industrial Engineering class project plenum.

Even if it is better, I could make the same thing myself with sheet metal from Home Depot, some tin snips, a rented welder, and a can of Rust-O-Leum.
LOL, just like the pile of shit Afe intake makes 27hp... give me a break with company claims
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 04:36 PM   #54
wu2x
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

i believe that it was a different company that dynoed the injen intake already (awd i think? it was posted in e90post) - that's what bavarianX has been showing.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 04:46 PM   #55
Dangerlucas
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [5.50]
Quote:
True, the plenum did appear to meet up with the front of the car fine, although I never screwed mine in and felt like it might have problems, but once I get it mounted I'll see. My point though is that now they sell the intake with the new bracket, and the plenum isn't usable without their intake, yet it doesn't fit with the intake kit they sell now.

By the way, I notice that the guys from Riss are being rather limited in what they are saying here, which is appropriate with the rules of 1Addicts. There is a thread in the commercial forum, but there hasn't been much said there lately. Hopefully at some point they'll be more forthcoming in one of these two threads about these issues and what needs to be done about them.
Yeah, I'm hoping they are just waiting until that have the full explanation and DIY before they post. That way they aren't giving us bits and pieces at a time. At least that's what I would do.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 04:58 PM   #56
KeithLM
Proud 1er
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerlucas View Post
Yeah, I'm hoping they are just waiting until that have the full explanation and DIY before they post. That way they aren't giving us bits and pieces at a time. At least that's what I would do.
Yeah, I hope so too. The thing is they should have done that months ago as they designed the plenum. If they had worked out the design with their new bracket they would have seen the issue then.

I'm wondering about another point I found where I might be able to mount it. In this photo I have the bracket in the original hole, there's one towards the front of the car a couple inches away that is angled that I believe you used, Dangerlucas, and then a few inches below that there is another. If I can attach it to that bottom one it'll be completely out of the way I think.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 05:03 PM   #57
Dangerlucas
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [5.50]
Hmm, as long as that hole is threaded like the others then I don't see why it wouldn't work in a similar way to the way I set it up. I also notice there is a hole farther up towards the back of the car that looks like it could possibly mount it out of the way above the wheel well. You wouldn't need to modify the bracket to use that hole, but I don't know if the hoses will reach. I'd try, but I really don't feel like messing with things again and where I have it now is working.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 05:10 PM   #58
baseballbreath
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Has anyone installed this with the other power steering bracket? It looks like it's going to be an incredibly tight fit.
It is semi tight, but not too bad, I posted pictures on the other thread (the group buy one).

09 135i Black Sapphire
prem, sport, cold weather package
hi fi, iPod, Nav

Performacne:
JB3
RR Oil Catch Can
RR Stage II Intake
RR Intake Plenum
RR CDV
BMW Performance Exhaust

Cosmetics:
CF Interior Trim
M Door Sills
GP Thunder 75K
Black CF Ambergones
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 05:15 PM   #59
KeithLM
Proud 1er
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballbreath View Post
It is semi tight, but not too bad, I posted pictures on the other thread (the group buy one).
I just saw those, that's the old bracket, not the new one.

Dangerlucas, if that other hole you mentioned is the one I'm thinking of I think it'll be to high. But I'll look into it. I think the lower hole might be larger, but if I can figure out what size it is I can buy a new bolt. I'll investigate both these options this weekend when I have time.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 05:23 PM   #60
baseballbreath
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynew135 View Post
+1.

I opted for the Injen Dual Cone intake which comes with a Plenum and from everything I've read has a cone and tube for each turbo separately. Currently sitting in a box, waiting for a nice day to install.
Ok, let's think about this logically here for a min. If there is only one place to put air into the engine, how can this Injen intake take air and route it to an individual turbo? Answer is it can't. Air is still going in just as if you had a stock air box (just less restrictive) and routed through the engine normally.

09 135i Black Sapphire
prem, sport, cold weather package
hi fi, iPod, Nav

Performacne:
JB3
RR Oil Catch Can
RR Stage II Intake
RR Intake Plenum
RR CDV
BMW Performance Exhaust

Cosmetics:
CF Interior Trim
M Door Sills
GP Thunder 75K
Black CF Ambergones
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 05:35 PM   #61
wu2x
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Isn't there front/rear piping(?) coming from the intake? I thought they went to different areas. I've only removed my stock intake (to put in dv's) and put it back in so I haven't really looked at the intake design much. I thought that was the whole point of the DCI's.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 05:59 PM   #62
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Ok, let's think about this logically here for a min. If there is only one place to put air into the engine, how can this Injen intake take air and route it to an individual turbo? Answer is it can't. Air is still going in just as if you had a stock air box (just less restrictive) and routed through the engine normally.

You're wrong about this. There are two places to put air into this engine...the intake side of each turbo. There's a seperate tube going to each turbo. One goes around the front of the engine, the other around the back.

You can see the front tube in this photo.

http://forum.e90fanatics.com/attachm...p;d=1156506213

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 06:02 PM   #63
wu2x
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Thanks, I thought I was going crazy there for a second.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 06:05 PM   #64
audi2bmw1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 montego 135i/acura vigor

this whole thread is funny to me..it seems others are realizing and regreting spending so much money on something that provides very lil gains....i believe every single person that bought their intake kit has the ability to make their own intake..really its not hard...buy some couplers and piping(many to chose from) and an open element filter...all this and you would have something like BMS sells for far less....i would LOVE to see someone dyno with a BMW intake(doesnt matter which one) and the full riss racing intake system with scoops,plenum etc...i think those that spent all that money would be very jealous of those who did NOT and have the same gains...

Devils own water/meth dealer-PM me for info
former car/ 2001 audi TT ~290bhp :w00t:
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 06:55 PM   #65
mynew135
assistant to the regional manager
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Wrong.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 07:39 PM   #66
KeithLM
Proud 1er
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by audi2bmw1 View Post
this whole thread is funny to me..it seems others are realizing and regreting spending so much money on something that provides very lil gains....i believe every single person that bought their intake kit has the ability to make their own intake..really its not hard...buy some couplers and piping(many to chose from) and an open element filter...all this and you would have something like BMS sells for far less....i would LOVE to see someone dyno with a BMW intake(doesnt matter which one) and the full riss racing intake system with scoops,plenum etc...i think those that spent all that money would be very jealous of those who did NOT and have the same gains...
That's just rude and really unnecessary, don't you think? I regret buying this from Riss because they have not done the work necessary to make sure it fits correctly nor have they provided adequate instructions. However I do believe, and will find out in the near future, that it provides some gains, and I think it has made it sound better. What really gets me is that so long as the old bracket works with the DDV (which could be an issue because of the hose clamps on the intercooler) then all this effort will be because of their redesigned bracket.

If you're to good for an after-market intake, why read these threads?
Appreciate 0