BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-21-2011, 05:17 PM   #23
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

Will the handheld clear codes or do you need a BT tool?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 09:53 PM   #24
cwg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4 ZCP. AZB on black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rom3n View Post
Working on it now, shoud be available soon
Great news - there are a lot of us N55ers who are looking for a good flash tune option.
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2011, 01:23 AM   #25
biglare
Bulldog
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW & Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefastman View Post
Now I challenge you to make your 135i faster than your m3 as it sits

Remember its supercharged lol

Big turbo time perhaps
Hmmm.... that sounds like a fun challenge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius@WSTO View Post
Congrats Biglare~!

we had this done before the handheld release and out biggest love with it was the fact that it was so driveable and smooth throughout the entire RPM Range.
Thanks! You are absolutely correct with the smooth power delivery throughout the entire RPM range. I am completely surprised that the turbos deliver the power so smooth. The low end torque has been fun up the hills around the house! Can't wait to get back home and play with it more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSM 135i View Post
I talked to a guy with a 335is at this week's west l.a. MFest meet that got the ESS tune at the savini open house and had nothing but great things to say about the tune. I know a lot of e46 m3 guys with ESS and e9x ESS supercharged cars and all of them swear by ESS! I'm probably going to swap out my JB one of these days for the ESS tune.

I finally saw your e90 m3 at the savini open house and I LOVE EVERYTHING about it! Especially all the 4x4 carbon parts

Got any Big plans for the 1? If you do I can't wait to see how it turns out after seeing the m
Thanks for the compliments! I have tried to keep it tasteful and not overdo it, but at the same time make it unique. I think it turned out great, but I miss my 18" Volks! I will have them back soon.

Contact Roman and see if he can help you with the Direct Flash for your 135i. I'm sure you won't be disappointed if you get it!

As for my 135i, I think I am finished as there is a 1 Series M on order!

GTS
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2011, 04:16 AM   #26
sti917
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i e90 M package Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alext View Post

same question
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 03:32 PM   #27
sales@ESSTuning
Rep
Drives: ESS M3 / M4

Quote:
We account for and remove hidden tuner detection codes in our performance software but to be 100% safe its always best to clear codes after you flash your stock file back with a device like the BT before trips to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 05:29 PM   #28
ki__
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C 6MT

Garage List
cool review!!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 06:33 PM   #29
1013mm
aka 1013MM
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: pokingly flush

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.26]
off topic but when you going to let IND get their hands on your 135?
      01-24-2011, 06:40 PM   #30
biglare
Bulldog
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzhang View Post
off topic but when you going to let IND get their hands on your 135?
Sorry, will not have the 135i long enough for IND to work their magic. Have to make way for the 1-Series M!

GTS
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 01:03 AM   #31
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi A4

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Mmk...so someone sell me as to why I should get the ESS tune over the COBB??

Theyre both equal price, both handheld and OBD flashers.. anyone?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 01:18 AM   #32
biglare
Bulldog
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thez99 View Post
Mmk...so someone sell me as to why I should get the ESS tune over the COBB??

Theyre both equal price, both handheld and OBD flashers.. anyone?

Sorry, but I can only speak to the ESS tune. I can tell you that I did not have any issues or codes when loading up the ESS tune to my 135i. Everything was spelled out clearly in the instructions and when followed the installation is a snap!

As for the tune itself, the power is on almost immediately! I can't get enough of this added power to the 135i. I live in an area with steep hills and the thing just pulls and pulls hard all the way up! My wife drove it and said, "WOW, this thing is quick!"

GTS
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 01:22 PM   #33
sales@ESSTuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglare View Post
Sorry, but I can only speak to the ESS tune. I can tell you that I did not have any issues or codes when loading up the ESS tune to my 135i. Everything was spelled out clearly in the instructions and when followed the installation is a snap!

As for the tune itself, the power is on almost immediately! I can't get enough of this added power to the 135i. I live in an area with steep hills and the thing just pulls and pulls hard all the way up! My wife drove it and said, "WOW, this thing is quick!"
You won't have issues or codes as we use the factory file from the vehicle as the basis for each tuned file. There are many different versions of software used in the N54, because the Direct Flash unit reads your factory file and because we can tune any version of factory software there is never compatibility issues when you load your tuned file back into the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 01:54 PM   #34
135iNewb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

It seems everytime I do my research and decide "Yea, the Procede is for me" something new comes out and changes my mind. I was %100 sold on the Cobb also, until I read this. Im just gonna flip a coin...

Great review from what seems to be a competent person.

Thanks biglare.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 02:08 PM   #35
biglare
Bulldog
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135iNewb View Post
It seems everytime I do my research and decide "Yea, the Procede is for me" something new comes out and changes my mind. I was %100 sold on the Cobb also, until I read this. Im just gonna flip a coin...

Great review from what seems to be a competent person.

Thanks biglare.
Glad to help! I love the ESS DirectFlash for the 135i and my two tunes are awesome! The car is completely stock otherwise and it performs amazingly! The added power reminds me of when my M3 was stock!

Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns I can help with.

GTS
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 02:19 PM   #36
135iNewb
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglare View Post
Glad to help! I love the ESS DirectFlash for the 135i and my two tunes are awesome! The car is completely stock otherwise and it performs amazingly! The added power reminds me of when my M3 was stock!

Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns I can help with.

Do you have an idea of when you will be putting the 1 on the dyno?

I see ESS has posted a graph, and its impressive, but its nice to see unbiased facts too. One has to assume they would publish the best outcome of their repeated tuning sessions with varius conditions. For example, they used 98 octane on that particular run. Something I dont have plans on using.

I always assume to make a decent amount less than what companies advertise and that seems to be the norm. I dont really care what it dyno's as long as it feels good on the seat of the pants. At the same time, broader torque curves usually are the cause for those good seat of the pants fealings.

From what little I've seen of it, it looks like an excellent tune.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 02:25 PM   #37
biglare
Bulldog
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135iNewb View Post
Do you have an idea of when you will be putting the 1 on the dyno?

I see ESS has posted a graph, and its impressive, but its nice to see unbiased facts too. One has to assume they would publish the best outcome of their repeated tuning sessions with varius conditions. For example, they used 98 octane on that particular run. Something I dont have plans on using.

I always assume to make a decent amount less than what companies advertise and that seems to be the norm. I dont really care what it dyno's as long as it feels good on the seat of the pants. At the same time, broader torque curves usually are the cause for those good seat of the pants fealings.

From what little I've seen of it, it looks like an excellent tune.
I hope to get a dyno session on both the 135 and M3 in the next 2-3 weeks. I have surgery next week so I'll be out of commission for a week or so.

As for your butt dyno feeling, yes! This 135 now really pegs your butt in the seat! I love the way it pulls up the hills in my neighborhood! Your are planted in the seat all the way up the hills!

GTS
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 04:10 PM   #38
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

I was wondering something - on the ESS website the stage 1 and 2 dyno charts have very similar torque figures - stage 2 is only increased by about 7lb/ft??
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 09:46 PM   #39
135iNewb
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I was wondering something - on the ESS website the stage 1 and 2 dyno charts have very similar torque figures - stage 2 is only increased by about 7lb/ft??
The peak number only increased by 7, but look how much sooner it makes it, and how much longer it holds it for. The average is much higher, as well as the hp.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 11:20 PM   #40
Gunzaro
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Speed Racer

Ok, I advise if you still have your warranty invest in a BT tool to scan before taking it to the dealer. I just directflashed my N54 engined car with the ESS tune and it produced a massive load of fault codes!! There was all sorts of codes from the fuel pump to the heating/ventilation system. There was NO engine codes though.

The stage 2 tune itself is decent, very very smooth almost as if there was no tune...until you floor it... but it won't be smoking your tires - traction seems to be very good on 255 RFT tires- I guess this is reflected in the torques curve. No huge losses of traction in-gear. This is a GOOD thing as it remains good to drive on street plus easier on the transmission. Stage 2 gives a VERY USEABLE 360rwhp.

Biglare: have you checked all systems for codes with BT scanner?

Note: I also got a BATTERY DEEP DISCHARGE code after a 15 min test session on the road! Not sure what it means...everything seems OK. I used a trickle charger whilst it was being flashed...
No other codes were generated yet which is good. The car took 1 hour to read and about 15-20mins to write. Code was generated AFTER the 2nd test drive following writing of tune. VERY STRANGE!!!

Conclusion: A very good tune for a street car, but advise getting a BT tool to remove ALL codes generated. Roman has said there are NO TUNER codes. If he means by this NO ENGINE codes then he is correct....

Last edited by Gunzaro; 01-29-2011 at 03:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 11:02 AM   #41
sales@ESSTuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunzaro View Post
Ok, I advise if you still have your warranty invest in a BT tool to scan before taking it to the dealer. I just directflashed my N54 engined car with the ESS tune and it produced a massive load of fault codes!! There was all sorts of codes from the fuel pump to the heating/ventilation system. There was NO engine codes though.

The stage 2 tune itself is decent, very very smooth almost as if there was no tune...until you floor it... but it won't be smoking your tires - traction seems to be very good on 255 RFT tires- I guess this is reflected in the torques curve. No huge losses of traction in-gear. This is a GOOD thing as it remains good to drive on street plus easier on the transmission. Stage 2 gives a VERY USEABLE 360rwhp.

Biglare: have you checked all systems for codes with BT scanner?

Note: I also got a BATTERY DEEP DISCHARGE code after a 15 min test session on the road! Not sure what it means...everything seems OK. I used a trickle charger whilst it was being flashed...
No other codes were generated yet which is good. The car took 1 hour to read and about 15-20mins to write. Code was generated AFTER the 2nd test drive following writing of tune. VERY STRANGE!!!

Conclusion: A very good tune for a street car, but advise getting a BT tool to remove ALL codes generated. Roman has said there are NO TUNER codes. If he means by this NO ENGINE codes then he is correct....

When you program the ECU it goes down from the CAN bus and other control units will throw codes for missing ECU signal. These will reset after car is cycled after new flash is loaded. Some units may store a sporadic CAN error, which is easily removed by a BT tool. These codes do not do anything and can also happen if for instance you are low on power or you disconnect the battery or just sporadic. If you check codes on a car with some miles on it, usually you find a variety of different sporadic CAN and power codes due to various small things.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 07:01 PM   #42
Gunzaro
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Speed Racer

Thank you kindly for the explanation.

This ESS tune is really awesome. Car is feels like it has adapted to it better now for some reason. So far it is working 100%.

There was NO problems with the device downloading the stock data/recognising the ECU unlike some of the Cobb AP users had at the start.

I hope ESS will continue their development for tunes for the N54. I wish them best of luck.

Last edited by Gunzaro; 01-29-2011 at 07:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2011, 01:25 AM   #43
SpankYa
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i Convertible

Question for Roman and ESS:

If the dealer reflashes the ECU with an update for my car, I asusme I'll need to download the new factory program and send it to you to tune, then load the new tune into the ECU, right?

If so, is there a charge from ESS for the reprogram?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2011, 12:00 PM   #44
sales@ESSTuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpankYa View Post
Question for Roman and ESS:

If the dealer reflashes the ECU with an update for my car, I asusme I'll need to download the new factory program and send it to you to tune, then load the new tune into the ECU, right?

If so, is there a charge from ESS for the reprogram?

Thanks
There is a programming fee of $95 to update your file if your stock software has been changed by the dealer from the version we tuned. Because we use each stock file as the basis for the tuned file we cannot simply re-load your old tune. This process insures that there are never any compatibility issues or errors with our software if BMW updates or changes the factory software version in your car.
Appreciate 0