BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-23-2011, 12:45 PM   #287
sergeremi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe

Hey guys, I just talked to a CA in Virginia...

So apparently there is an allocation available at BMW of Alexandria. I tried to confirm if this was true since he kept saying that he has one ready to be built. I asked for clarification if that meant he was just going to put an order in or if there was an actual build slot available. He insisted it was going to be built. Dunno, but may be worth checking out. The person I talked to was named Paul.

But, they are unwilling to sell out of the area. So if you plan to title in the area, could be a chance. Good luck.

Last edited by sergeremi; 07-23-2011 at 12:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 01:30 PM   #288
ibfazz
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjswee View Post
Just talked my salesperson in the DC area....This dealership is getting 8(4 more than I thought) allocations and 15 people are on the list. 1/2 have not put down actual deposits just a name. I think only 5 have put $$ down and it might be possible to slide down on this list. PM me directly and i'll give her contact info to you; she knows the details...The whole name on list/ who's locked in/ who's not she'll have the details.

The are staying at the MSRP price...No markups...
I am also without PM privileges yet (2 more posts) and would be interested in getting the contact information if still available...Thanks!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 02:13 PM   #289
sergeremi
Lieutenant
Rep

Geez... so i just finished calling every dealer in the South East region (FL, GA, SC, NC, VA, MS, AL, TN and KY)... yeah, getting this car looks nearly impossible to get if you aren't already in production (or aren't willing to get bent over on a markup). I know, I know, it just seems like that now with no other word on how the rest of the allocations will be distributed and who knows what else may happen with the waitlists. But right now, if BMW is holding firm on the limited production run, there are going to be a lot of sad pandas. And boo on BMW for releasing an “entry” M car that harkens back to the true driving spirit of the M division and then restricts availability that leaves many enthusiasts out in the cold.

But anyway, I put my name down on as many lists as I could short of putting down a deposit just to put in a "build order". No one out there, well, no one out there with any credibility had anything less than four people waiting for a possible/maybe allocation. Every confirmed allocation was gone.

So far this has been a fairly unpleasant experience as often is the case when going after a scare commodity. But I was shocked at the more than expected amount of jackassery and cluelessness that some dealerships demonstrated. Not to mention the flat out liars out there. If I were a salesperson, I would just assume, unless proven otherwise, anyone asking about this particular car is not your normal joe blow and that they probably know more about the car than you.

But there were a small handful of dealerships that were knowledgeable, genuinely helpful and would certainly get my business were there a car available.

So now it’s just sitting and waiting. Hoping for a call back and obsessively watching this thread. Hopefully, by the end of August there will be more clarity on all this nonsense, so if some of us have to, we can start moving on.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 02:31 PM   #290
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple_simon View Post
FWIW, I was told by a regional rep that the 2012 WILL be made. There is an emissions law change between 2011 and 2012 which is why all of the current 1Ms are still being called 2011 models. BMW is tweaking whatever needs to be done to match the new 2012 testing guidelines.

If you check the EPA's site, the new guidelines cover 2012-2016 vehicles.

???

BMW has already "tweaked" the motor... It's called the N55... and it's in all 2012 BMW 1 series models. The 1M is a 2011 because the N54T motor is not certified after 2011. If this individual is going on record that the N55 will be tuned and then the 1M brought out as a 2012 model for a second year of production... then that would be a surprise... because seemingly every BMW secret gets leaked out on these forums.... Spy shots.. engine info.. etc..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 02:33 PM   #291
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
FWIW, I was told by a regional rep that the 2012 WILL be made. There is an emissions law change between 2011 and 2012 which is why all of the current 1Ms are still being called 2011 models. BMW is tweaking whatever needs to be done to match the new 2012 testing guidelines.

If you check the EPA's site, the new guidelines cover 2012-2016 vehicles.
This has no bearing on whether or not BMW will build a 2012 1M.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 02:35 PM   #292
simple_simon
Private
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
???

BMW has already "tweaked" the motor... It's called the N55... and it's in all 2012 BMW 1 series models. The 1M is a 2011 because the N54T motor is not certified after 2011. If this individual is going on record that the N55 will be tuned and then the 1M brought out as a 2012 model for a second year of production... then that would be a surprise... because seemingly every BMW secret gets leaked out on these forums.... Spy shots.. engine info.. etc..
As it was explained to me, the N54T was undergoing whatever was needed to be certified for the 2012-2016 rules.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 02:37 PM   #293
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeremi View Post
Geez... so i just finished calling every dealer in the South East region (FL, GA, SC, NC, VA, MS, AL, TN and KY)... yeah, getting this car looks nearly impossible to get if you aren't already in production (or aren't willing to get bent over on a markup). I know, I know, it just seems like that now with no other word on how the rest of the allocations will be distributed and who knows what else may happen with the waitlists. But right now, if BMW is holding firm on the limited production run, there are going to be a lot of sad pandas. And boo on BMW for releasing an “entry” M car that harkens back to the true driving spirit of the M division and then restricts availability that leaves many enthusiasts out in the cold.

But anyway, I put my name down on as many lists as I could short of putting down a deposit just to put in a "build order". No one out there, well, no one out there with any credibility had anything less than four people waiting for a possible/maybe allocation. Every confirmed allocation was gone.

So far this has been a fairly unpleasant experience as often is the case when going after a scare commodity. But I was shocked at the more than expected amount of jackassery and cluelessness that some dealerships demonstrated. Not to mention the flat out liars out there. If I were a salesperson, I would just assume, unless proven otherwise, anyone asking about this particular car is not your normal joe blow and that they probably know more about the car than you.

But there were a small handful of dealerships that were knowledgeable, genuinely helpful and would certainly get my business were there a car available.

So now it’s just sitting and waiting. Hoping for a call back and obsessively watching this thread. Hopefully, by the end of August there will be more clarity on all this nonsense, so if some of us have to, we can start moving on.
Sorry you are so late to the party... I say HOORAY for BMW for even bringing the car. BMW is not holding firm on a limited production run, but instead, trying to squeeze in a vehicle under US emissions laws, while at the same time squeezing out as much production as they can from a plant that already cannot build as many X1s as they have a demand for. Note that X1 production for the US has been pushed back for a full year, ostensibly as they attempt to complete production on a car that was brought out at the end of the life series by some crazy wicked M engineers that were given the go by Dr. Segler with just enough of a time frame to get this car to production. The fact that Dr. Segler was brought to the M division a little over 2 years ago is what made the 1M even possible.

As far as making the calls.. I feel your pain.. having called literally every dealer in the states you mentioned plus most of the other states in the US with the exception of FL. CA. PA, NY and NJ. I hope that you are successful.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 07-23-2011 at 03:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 03:00 PM   #294
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:

As it was explained to me, the N54T was undergoing whatever was needed to be certified for the 2012-2016 rules.
That would be a well kept secret, then, I suppose we can only wait and see. Since you are in Indy.. Do you know Simon Hunter?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 03:04 PM   #295
sergeremi
Lieutenant
Rep

Well, true. If I was a true enthusiast I would have been here earlier. Bad timing. I suppose I can take some solace that something better is always coming down the line. So if I miss out now, just more opportunity for the next new hotness. And on the flipside, these will be on the used market in a few years. So if I'm still so enamored, I can get one then avoiding the markup nonsense and new car depreciation hit. Win-win, if I can wait a couple years.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 03:22 PM   #296
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I believe the EPA standards are based on fleetwide weighted average which doesn't mean each particular engine gets certified. BMW's plan for meeting the new standards is by widely utilizing 4 cylinder motors in the new 2012 1 series F20 and possibly the 3 series. The replacement of the N54 with the N55 is also part of the plan.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 05:36 PM   #297
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 1M, ‘24 718 GTS

One of the things I heard from my dealership is that the 1M is not a profit-generating vehicle. It is a statement-vehicle.

That might explain the limited allocations and the growing rumblings that there will be no more allocations for the US. From a marketing standpoint, the buzz and limited availability will certainly create a ton of interest and new customers.

IMO, the low margins and the fact that this is a "halo" vehicle make the decision to limit allocations a depressingly logical long-term strategy for BMW.

As an enthusiast, my heart goes out to those who are not getting one.

But the sad fact is that sometime soon...quite soon, those of us that get these cars will be kicking ourselves for not waiting for the next hot M-car as our tearful faces disappear in your rearview mirrors.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 06:38 PM   #298
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Pee View Post
But the sad fact is that sometime soon...quite soon, those of us that get these cars will be kicking ourselves for not waiting for the next hot M-car as our tearful faces disappear in your rearview mirrors.
I believe that car is the next M1.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2011, 10:20 PM   #299
simple_simon
Private
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Quote:
That would be a well kept secret, then, I suppose we can only wait and see. Since you are in Indy.. Do you know Simon Hunter?
Sorry, no. Should I?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 01:50 AM   #300
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Sorry, no. Should I?
Was wondering if you were he, by the profile ID. I was born and raised in Indy, parents still live there.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 01:30 PM   #301
buckeyegirl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M Coupe:) Jeep for Winter

Wouldn't it be Great if BMW

released a 2012 1M with Laguna Seca Blue as one of the colors or Imola red or Hulk Green with a green leather interior. I think that would be so awesome and also if they would make enough for everybody.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 01:31 PM   #302
buckeyegirl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M Coupe:) Jeep for Winter

Oh and they should change the name to M1 too.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 01:37 PM   #303
ZCP M3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M Coupe #759

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Pee View Post
I disagree. I know plenty of E36 M3 owners that have never regretted not waiting for the E46 M3. Hell, I bought the E46 M3 during it's last model year knowing full well a new V8 powered model was coming out. After seeing and driving the E90 model, I knew the platform was too big and heavy for me. I've driven this E46 M3 for the last 5.5 years and loved every minute of it, even if E60 M5's and E92 M3's blew past me on the highway.

My goal with upgrading from the E46 M3 was to lose curb weight, maintain or increase power, maintain or reduce size, and maintain or increase fuel economy. The E90/92 M3 fit only one of those. I was planning on upgrading to a Z4M Coupe when the rumors of an S65/DCT upgrade were circling. That obviously didnt come to fruition so I sat and waited.

The 1M Coupe checks all of those boxes and can be fully optioned out for less than the base price of an E92 M3. So when the next M3 comes out with it's triple-turbo motor and $80K base price, I will be very content with my 1M purchase.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 01:38 PM   #304
ZCP M3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M Coupe #759

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyegirl View Post
Oh and they should change the name to M1 too.
Negative. The M1 moniker is reserved for a halo car and sacred within the Bimmer community. I applaud BMW for not completely succumbing to marketing and using the 1M badge on an entry-level BMW.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 02:01 PM   #305
ibfazz
United_States
Rep

Dealer allocations

Does anyone know the most m1s a dealership will be allocated? I am 8 on a waiting list of a dealer who has received 5 and hopes to get 1-2 each month thru production end. Just wondering if realistic chance.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 02:02 PM   #306
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibfazz View Post
Does anyone know the most m1s a dealership will be allocated? I am 8 on a waiting list of a dealer who has received 5 and hopes to get 1-2 each month thru production end. Just wondering if realistic chance.
0. The m1 hasn't been produced in decades.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 02:33 PM   #307
ibfazz
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SerieStud View Post
0. The m1 hasn't been produced in decades.
Sorry...iPad keys..meant 1m.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 02:46 PM   #308
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCP M3;

I disagree. I know plenty of E36 M3 owners that have never regretted not waiting for the E46 M3. Hell, I bought the E46 M3 during it's last model year knowing full well a new V8 powered model was coming out. After seeing and driving the E90 model, I knew the platform was too big and heavy for me. I've driven this E46 M3 for the last 5.5 years and loved every minute of it, even if E60 M5's and E92 M3's blew past me on the highway.

My goal with upgrading from the E46 M3 was to lose curb weight, maintain or increase power, maintain or reduce size, and maintain or increase fuel economy. The E90/92 M3 fit only one of those. I was planning on upgrading to a Z4M Coupe when the rumors of an S65/DCT upgrade were circling. That obviously didnt come to fruition so I sat and waited.

The 1M Coupe checks all of those boxes and can be fully optioned out for less than the base price of an E92 M3. So when the next M3 comes out with it's triple-turbo motor and $80K base price, I will be very content with my 1M purchase.

I absolutely concur. I am a 17 year E30 m3 owner. I watched the e36, the E46, and the e92 come and all were not cars that I wanted. I was tempted as they came out but all were disappointing once i got a chance to drive them.

The e92 was the most tempting due to the V8s seductive growl but it is too heavy for a track car and also way more than I would spend for a car. A used e92 m3 sedan would have probably been a consolation prize had I not gotten a 1m.

Like zcp3, I have been enjoying my e30m3 because it outhandles all the above cars. My car was heavily modded and I could keep up with all but the most heavily modded e36s on track. The e46 is too heavy for me and understeers terribly compared to e30 and e36. The 1m has incredible steering, more power, and the tossability (hey i just made a word! ) and neutrality that embodies the e30m3.

The second gen 1m so far is disappointing in the looks department and also will have less power from the turbo 4. It may be lighter though.

The next m3 likely will be lighter than the e9x but will also certainly be even more expensive. The 1m likely will be rarer and more collectible than even my e30m3. I am absolutely thrilled with my selection and expect to be for years to come.
Appreciate 0