BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-21-2013, 04:25 AM   #1
chrisN
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: bmw 125i coupe

Garage List
2010 125i  [8.66]
DIY request - door handles for full car wrap

hi guys i was wondering if anyone could help me.

I'm planning on completely wrapping my car.

wasn't too sure how to take off the door handles. If anyone has done it before and had any pointers that would be great! thanks!
      11-26-2013, 08:33 AM   #2
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisN
hi guys i was wondering if anyone could help me.

I'm planning on completely wrapping my car.

wasn't too sure how to take off the door handles. If anyone has done it before and had any pointers that would be great! thanks!
Hey Chris,

1. Open up the door

2. There is a hole (maybe with a rubber plug) at the level of the door handle that is covering up a reverse hex bolt. From memory it uses a 4mm Allen key. Remove the bolt. Don't drop it inside the door.

3. Pull off the locking mechanism (driver side) or solid cover (passenger side). If you are having difficulty with the locking mechanism, stick your key in, turn it 90 degrees and pull the whole thing out.

4. Pull on the door handle and it will pop out slightly and become loose. Once loose, slide the door handle towards the back of the car and the handle should pop out.

Note: Be careful of the puddle lights. You don't want to break them or lose them inside the door itself. Lift them up and push them in to release them and then you can pull them out to dangle by the wire so they'll be less likely to be lost or broken.

When reinstalling the door handle, just do it all in reverse. You might notice that the door handle is loose and won't pop back in tightly. This is normal. Once you pop the locking mechanism/cover back in the door handle will pop back in securely.

Good luck.
      11-26-2013, 11:20 PM   #3
chrisN
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2010 125i  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by froop View Post
Hey Chris,

1. Open up the door

2. There is a hole (maybe with a rubber plug) at the level of the door handle that is covering up a reverse hex bolt. From memory it uses a 4mm Allen key. Remove the bolt. Don't drop it inside the door.

3. Pull off the locking mechanism (driver side) or solid cover (passenger side). If you are having difficulty with the locking mechanism, stick your key in, turn it 90 degrees and pull the whole thing out.

4. Pull on the door handle and it will pop out slightly and become loose. Once loose, slide the door handle towards the back of the car and the handle should pop out.

Note: Be careful of the puddle lights. You don't want to break them or lose them inside the door itself. Lift them up and push them in to release them and then you can pull them out to dangle by the wire so they'll be less likely to be lost or broken.

When reinstalling the door handle, just do it all in reverse. You might notice that the door handle is loose and won't pop back in tightly. This is normal. Once you pop the locking mechanism/cover back in the door handle will pop back in securely.

Good luck.
THANKS FROOP!

ill let you know how I'm going with it!
      11-26-2013, 11:25 PM   #4
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisN View Post
THANKS FROOP!

ill let you know how I'm going with it!
Haha no problem.

What colour are you going for?
      11-29-2013, 01:17 AM   #5
chrisN
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2010 125i  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by froop View Post
Haha no problem.

What colour are you going for?
matte yellow, but keeping my roof gloss black. probably do my interior trims in the same yellow to match.
      11-29-2013, 01:29 AM   #6
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisN View Post
matte yellow, but keeping my roof gloss black. probably do my interior trims in the same yellow to match.
That's...going...to...look...epic
      11-30-2013, 11:09 AM   #7
1triple5
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey M240i XDrive

Garage List
Post a pic when the wrapping is done please
Appreciate 0