BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-20-2007, 07:28 PM   #45
ibeam81
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII M235i, 2004 Acura TL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endgame View Post
Newbie question. Why would a used M3 have a lower cost of ownership than a new 1er?
You left out a key word - "Total". When you factor in initial cost, depreciation, and resell value the M3 should have a smaller total cost of ownership. The one big unknown is maintenance costs for the M3 over 2-3 years, but as long as it's nothing major such as a new engine then the M3 should be cheaper to own.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2007, 11:00 PM   #46
Endgame
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Thank you for the breakdown!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2007, 02:54 PM   #47
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeam81 View Post
You left out a key word - "Total". When you factor in initial cost, depreciation, and resell value the M3 should have a smaller total cost of ownership. The one big unknown is maintenance costs for the M3 over 2-3 years, but as long as it's nothing major such as a new engine then the M3 should be cheaper to own.
I also assumed that if one were getting a 2 - 3 year old M3, it would still be under factory warranty and one could also add the extended warranty for the remaining duration of ownership.:wink:
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2007, 07:24 PM   #48
ibeam81
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnut View Post
I also assumed that if one were getting a 2 - 3 year old M3, it would still be under factory warranty and one could also add the extended warranty for the remaining duration of ownership.:wink:
Good point.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2007, 05:14 AM   #49
Maximus Decimus
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonie View Post
We have something else in common besides our love for fine automobiles. I just wrecked my 2005 GSXR1000. I've been riding since I was 18 (41 now) with a 10 year break in between. I still don't know what happened. I did a wheelie (I’ve done hundreds) and when the bike landed, the front tire tucked-in and low-sided me at about 75mph. That why I'm giving up bikes. The accident was bizarre to say the least. The bike slid for 153 feet (I measured it), and I slid for about 100ft. All of this happening right in front of my home.

The damage to my body was minimal (considering the speed). I always wear a leather jacket, boots and gloves. I ended up with some serious road rash on both knees that's still burning the crap out of me 8 days later! And I also have a seriously sprained thumb (X-rays were negative). My head was rolling along the edge of the sidewalk seriously scratching my helmet and ripping off the face shield. My right hand glove was torn down the center with a few fingers exposed. The boot laces on one of my boots (right side) were torn and ripped apart. The only part of the laces that were still in the loops was the top portion where I tied them! What else? My $2,500 Omega seamaster Watch flew off my wrist (I usually leave it home when I ride). I didn’t notice that the watch was missing until about an hour afterwards. People walk down the street all the time so I thought it was gone. I looked anyway and there it was against the side walk. The watch is serviceable J. My cell phone which was in my jacket pocket screen cracked. Surprisingly, my Icon leather jacket can still be worn. They are scrapes but no tears. Be careful with the bikes.
Spoonie, sorry to hear that man. I'm a big sportbike fan. Hope you get back to 100% soon. My last bike was a '02 R1. Got rid of it this year before I came over. Miss it so much. Ridin as long as you have I wouldn't be surprised to hear you're back riding in a lil bit. :iono: I miss the whole bike 'subculture' and I miss the adrenaline rush I got from riding. I actually went to the MotoGp race last weekend at Sachsenring. I can't believe Vale got a dnf on the 1st MotoGP race I've ever been to. Here's a couple quick pics. I had a great time.

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2007, 05:24 AM   #50
Maximus Decimus
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I took a lot of it into consideration and I've actually decided to stick with the 135i. I am really looking forward to the tuning potential of the 135i. It's just tough to know I have to wait till December to get behind the wheel. It's like I can hear the autobahns calling me, I can't answer and I hate it. Must learn patience... :smile:

Between now and December I will probably change my mind a 1000x!!!! I'm asking for forgiveness in advance if I bring up another what would you do thread in...
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2007, 08:54 AM   #51
Big Red One
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus Decimus View Post
It's just tough to know I have to wait till December to get behind the wheel.
Look at it this way: most of the rest of we Yankees have to wait until March '08 -at best- to get behind the wheel. And those who will be ordering, like me, have to wait until more like May or June of '08!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2007, 01:08 PM   #52
Maximus Decimus
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Spoonie, my bad, here are the images. Wanted to share. Not sure what happened in the other post. Hope you get back soon man.

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2007, 01:15 PM   #53
ibeam81
Captain
United_States
Rep

Pretty amazing shots. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2007, 04:10 PM   #54
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

jrsites,

I can relate, I feel this tension for 15 years already!! Is the new M3 worth the money? Is the Carerra S4 worth the money? Is a second hand M5 worth it??? Well, I don't know!

My advice, wait until it is available and take a real long test drive in the 128i. Then, give it some days. When you're still in love, you'll know what to do.

This "methodology" never let me down! Even not on a Ferrari 355 GTS or a Audi S4 (FYI: I was completely NOT in love with them!).
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2007, 01:38 PM   #55
Contra1
Dis-membered
Rep
Drives:

Speed read the thread ...

If I were you (Europe for 2 years, appear to be single, no kids, etc) I'd take the time to explore a used Carerra and throw that into the mix ...

It sure doesn't look as if you need the rear seat room
Seems reasonable for autobahn use

If this appears to be mostly a toy then what can you pay cash for? No payments and save your money for when you get back to the states where a car is a necessity ...
Appreciate 0