BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-23-2007, 01:43 PM   #89
ibeam81
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII M235i, 2004 Acura TL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsites View Post
That was great! Are my eyes playing tricks on me, or was that Madonna?
Yup... The director is her husband.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2007, 05:44 AM   #90
Chris Ruck
Rep
Drives:

Uh, the manual transmission for me please!!!

-Chris:wink:

P.S. This would have been a great poll, yes?

"DO THE RIGHT THING, IT WILL GRATIFY SOME PEOPLE AND ASTONISH THE REST!"
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2007, 07:18 AM   #91
menotakoala
Future Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: Civic Si Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus Decimus View Post
All the manual vs auto talk reminded me of 1 of my fave vid clips featuring bmw's. This is why I love BMW and why I just can't imagine getting them in auto.

BMW Films - Star. Woohoo!! How boring would this have been if the car were auto???
This film and the other one "The Chosen One" was where I fell in love with the previous 5 series. The new 5 series did this to me -->
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Motor Co.
Dear Joe, unfortunately, our service technicians were unable to reproduce the problem that you mentioned. Therefore, we will be unable to perform any work that you claim is necessary. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2007, 01:59 PM   #92
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsites View Post
I know this is hard to understand, but I've always longed for a transmission that I could "shift" the way the CART and F1 (though they use steering wheel buttons now) drivers I watched on TV did. Your statement stirs a sort of "analog vs. digital" analogy in my mind. The analog things in life are always going to be the more interactive, engaging, and beautifully crafted, while the digital things are always going to be boring, antiseptic and bland. But for some reason I've always been a "digital" guy. I don't care about the feel of shifting gears so much as the action associated with it. I remember watching so many clips of CART drivers screaming down the straight at Portland International Raceway, then jumping on the binders to set up for the Festival Curves right hander, while bang-bang-banging down through the gears simply by palming the lever and nudging it forward rapidly. THAT'S what I want to be able to do in my car.
I understand your perspective and I think that might be one of the best ways to describe the sort of comparison that is going on here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsites
Here's another analogy. Do you think there was a time, years ago, when people said that a car with power steering doesn't give you the "connected" driving experience that true performance enthusiasts like? But look at the absolute wonders BMW have done with their vehicles and power steering. Who would even consider calling for a non-power steering car now?
I see where you are going here but the big difference is that power steering didnt eliminate feel. It reduced it but it didnt make the lever as inert as beach wood, for example.

Quote:
This is why I think the Steptronics are misunderstood. If you want to go from 5th to 3rd in a Step- equipped car, you simply reach over and slap the lever forward twice as fast as you can. The tranny goes to 3rd gear just that fast. Now, I don't know enough about the technicalities to know whether it's actually going through 4th to get to 3rd, or whether it goes straight to 3rd. But judging by how quickly the Step did multiple-gear downshifts in the E90 I came close to buying last Spring, my guess is the computer just tells the tranny to go straight to 3rd gear. In all seriousness, that E90 seemed to do multiple-gear downshifts faster than I could've done them on a manual (if I were doing a proper heel-and-toe downshift).
Im pretty sure that the only transmission that can do multiple downshifts is Mercedes' 7G Tronic gearbox. Even then, I dont think that it skips gears in manual mode though. But Im not 100% sure on that one... The problem I have had with other transmissions is that they normally get confused too easily. If I tap for a couple of downshifts, there are numerous times in many cars where it only registers one downshift. That's annoying. It is true, however, that the gearboxes used in the latest BMWs are about as good as automatics will ever get. They are great gearboxes and come close to solving all the inherent problems. But that just takes you back to the feel argument...

Quote:
Completely agree. That's why I've considered all of the other "manumatics" I've driven to be complete crap. But this tranny is different. The only shifting it does for you, as far as I experienced, was to go from 2nd to 1st when you come to a stop. Other than that, you are in complete control. Even at redline. And I really like the way it rev-matches on downshifts.
The auto-blipped downshifts are thing of beauty. It really makes things really, really enjoyable. Not sure about the redline though. Have you bounced off the rev limiter before?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2007, 09:54 PM   #93
DimaGt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Just to show what a MAN can do with THREE Pedals...

Appreciate 0
      07-25-2007, 10:03 PM   #94
aesthetect
form follows function
United_States
Rep
Drives: GC impreza

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimaGt View Post

/thread
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2007, 10:53 PM   #95
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Quote:

Wow... that is an epic video. Thanks for sharing!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2007, 11:01 PM   #96
imported_Sam
Bimmajockey
Rep
Drives:

If SMG or one of those new dual clutch(DSG) systems were options I'd consider them...otherwise, manual for me. I've been driving a manual M3 for the last 6.5 years and it's tough to imagine not having one.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2007, 10:16 AM   #97
Madjack
Private
Rep
Drives:

The current SMG is supposed to suck. I have heard it is loud and jerky. If they put in a DSG like VW/Porsche, then I might consider one. More than likely I will get a stick though. Nothing like banging gears on the track.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2007, 10:35 AM   #98
tommy
Benz Interloper
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 Benz C230, 1990 CRX ZcSi

I drove a buddy's SMG-equipped M5 on Sunday. It was interesting, but definitely helped me make my decision of manual only. It was fast, but not as much fun as a clutch/shift knob combo. Maybe I'd get used to it and enjoy it, but not worth the risk of hating it down the road to me.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2007, 03:08 PM   #99
imported_Sam
Bimmajockey
Rep
Drives:

I guess one other thing to consider with SMG or DSG is that there are more things that can go wrong whether it's with the electronics or hydraulics..etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2007, 05:16 PM   #100
Big Red One
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:

If my daily drive involved trying to get to work on dusty backwoods roads when I'm 15 minutes late for work, I'd get a manual transmission in my car. But then again, I'd probably also buy a four wheel drive car with at least one LSD.

Oh, and do YOU want to be the one to tell Shumey he's not a real man because he only used two pedals when he drove to those world championships? :smile:
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2007, 05:48 PM   #101
2fast
Private
Rep
Drives: 330

Manual. I've got an auto for daily duty.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2007, 07:07 PM   #102
ibeam81
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII M235i, 2004 Acura TL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eventually View Post
Manual. I've got an auto for daily duty.
That's my plan, too.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2007, 07:53 PM   #103
DimaGt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

I was trying to say that people want to play Schumey, not that he is a less of the man or a driver. Everyone knows He was the best. But there are a lot of people that want to look or drive fast without any skills. In my opinion shifting own gears is a skill, skill that one needs to learn and practised.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2007, 08:21 PM   #104
pxd
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: fast

Quote:
I was trying to say that people want to play Schumey, not that he is a less of the man or a driver. Everyone knows He was the best. But there are a lot of people that want to look or drive fast without any skills. In my opinion shifting own gears is a skill, skill that one needs to learn and practised.

Indeed. This will be my first own manual tranny car :smile:
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2007, 09:24 PM   #105
Powerman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

I had a Subie LGT manual. What a fun car, but it's the wife's. She decided she was tired of the manual and we traded it for a auto with sport shift.

The auto is rather disappointing. With the turbos, it is hard to keep them at speed. The auto constantly upshifts. The 2.5 engine is fun, but stabbing the throttle off boost is quite frustrating. The sport shift is nice, but a little slow and it is sequential. So you have a bit of a wait if you are in 5th and want to grab 3rd. Plus the gearing itself is quite different.

So, for my 135i, I will most definitely get a manual. I live at altitude and want the turbos. Turbos with a auto is not near as fun as a manual. Forget the usual auto vs. manual debate. Turbos change that a bit.
Appreciate 0