CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
This was my first trip to Maryhill Loops Road near Goldendale, WA. It's a privately owned closed road available for rent. I estimate the paved surface is no more than 25 feet wide and has basalt rock rubble off the shoulders, with only a few feet before significant embankments. Fun!

One of my better runs:

Following my friend's GT4:

Following another friend's Cayman S:

We drove down the hill "Sunday afternoon drive style". My 15 year old son, who has had his permit for 8 months, had never driven the 1M, but has practiced driving our manual e30 325e. I gave him downhill duty all afternoon and gave him some pointers on finding "the line". It was so fun to see his confidence build....this is his final trip down, still timid (mainly because he knows the 1M is my baby and is a monster) but definitely getting more comfortable!

1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 7
Tornado1M1201.50
seis-speed2426.00
ayao627.50
1&done246.50
JP-1M171.00
10"4946.00
      07-02-2019, 08:48 AM   #2
1&done
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

Garage List
Nice open road, looks fun! Thx for sharing
///1M #643 of #740
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 01:53 PM   #3
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Those are the most beautiful roads I've seen in a while but man what a waste. Get a car you don't mind messing up to do those events.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 02:04 PM   #4
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
Those are the most beautiful roads I've seen in a while but man what a waste. Get a car you don't mind messing up to do those events.
My 1M is a track/autocross tool. I don't care about its so called collector value. I bought it new, drive it the way it was intended to be driven, and have gotten my money's worth. Every time I get behind the wheel is a bonus.

A 1M sitting in a garage collecting "value", driven carefully to Cars 'n Coffee once a month....that's a waste!

In case you missed it, this is a closed course privately owned road that a group of us rented. No two-way traffic.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 4
JP-1M171.00
10"4946.00
Snertz85.50
      07-02-2019, 02:43 PM   #5
Mark Aubele
Private
Rep
Drives: '12 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
My 1M is a track/autocross tool. I don't care about it so called collector value. I bought it new, drive it the way it was intended to be driven, and have gotten my money's worth. Every time I get behind the wheel is a bonus.

A 1M sitting in a garage collecting "value", driven carefully to Cars 'n Coffee once a month....that's a waste!

In case you missed it, this is a closed course privately owned road that a group of us rented. No two-way traffic.
Well said. My wife and I run hillclimbs on the other side of the country in eastern PA. She bounced her 135i off a guardrail this past weekend. Stuff happens, and it is much better than having it sit in the garage! I give you a ton of credit for using the 1M for what it was designed for.

Sorry for the hijack but here is what one of our hills looks like, Pagoda Hillclimb in Reading, Pa. We run a longer version in August where it continues for a mile after the finish here.

Last edited by Mark Aubele; 07-02-2019 at 02:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 03:34 PM   #6
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Aubele View Post
Quote:
My 1M is a track/autocross tool. I don't care about it so called collector value. I bought it new, drive it the way it was intended to be driven, and have gotten my money's worth. Every time I get behind the wheel is a bonus.

Well said. My wife and I run hillclimbs on the other side of the country in eastern PA. She bounced her 135i off a guardrail this past weekend. Stuff happens, and it is much better than having it sit in the garage! I give you a ton of credit for using the 1M for what it was designed for.

Sorry for the hijack but here is what one of our hills looks like, Pagoda Hillclimb in Reading, Pa. We run a longer version in August where it continues for a mile after the finish here.

Sweet! And totally on topic!
I don't know what's worse, steep embankments with no barrier, or trees at the edge of the pavement, LOL.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 05:45 PM   #7
Mark Aubele
Private
Rep
Drives: '12 135i

Quote:
Sweet! And totally on topic!
I don't know what's worse, steep embankments with no barrier, or trees at the edge of the pavement, LOL.
They both hurt!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 09:56 PM   #8
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Bonus!

We noticed a drone overhead when driving back down once. It was probably being flown from a scenic lookout on a nearby highway. The guy operating the drone managed to track down one of my my YouTube posts and posted a link to his video, so cool!

Appreciate 4
JP-1M171.00
Tornado1M1201.50
///BYU268.50
ayao627.50
      07-03-2019, 05:50 AM   #9
JP-1M
Private First Class
Japan
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 1M

Garage List
Fantastic thread. Thanks for sharing some great video.

Reminds me of my last day out with my Cayman S buddy.

https://carsonfilm.tumblr.com/post/1...off-we-decided

Edit: updated link to my buddy's source Tumblr rather than repost
      10-05-2022, 06:10 AM   #10
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
My 1M is a track/autocross tool. I don't care about its so called collector value. I bought it new, drive it the way it was intended to be driven, and have gotten my money's worth. Every time I get behind the wheel is a bonus.

You are doing this right
totally bizarre that someone
would call this a "waste" to do
exactly what these cars should do!

Garage queens are worthless to me!
Fantastic you shared this with your son!
ayao627.50