BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-14-2023, 09:25 PM   #1
iliketurns
Private
Rep
Drives: 128i slicctop

My 128i Fun Car

Hey everyone! New to the forum. I figured this would be the best place to start a little "build" thread.

I just picked up a 2012 128i slicktop 6spd as a fun car. This is my first BMW and my first rwd car. Coming from GTI's and Golf R's, what a breath of fresh air!

Anyways, I like mountain driving and occasional track use (yes, I live in Miami, I know) Looking forward to digging a little into the car, changing some things and seeing what it can do

The car has some Bilstein coilovers on it and all original bushings and arms with 129k miles on them. I had the car aligned the day I got it, but man, it still feels a little loosey goosey under load. I think the first plan of attack is to address those items. Any suggestions? Also, who's got some ohlins for sale?

Oh and there's some square ADVAN RGD2's on the way already. Couldn't help myself

Here's some mid iPhone pics for your viewing pleasure
Attached Images

Last edited by iliketurns; 01-14-2023 at 10:27 PM..
Appreciate 4
      01-16-2023, 11:02 PM   #2
wootloops
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 Lime Rock Park

Hey fellow S. Floridian!

I also have a 128 that I have built for fun and track. (I am actually going to be tracking it at homestead-miami speedway on 2/25)

My car was bone stock, non-sport package suspension when I got it. It felt like driving around a brick of jello. I've done a ton of suspension mods and now it feels tighter than my E92 M3. My build thread is here with a full list, but here are some items I would look into first:
  • M3 Front Lower Control Arms
  • Solid/delrin rear subframe bushings (does not add any noticeable NVH)
  • Monoball front upper control arm bushings (aka Tension Strut) - I like the ones from German Auto Solutions

I would do the above before you replace the bilstein coilovers. You might end up liking them more once you tighten up the other weak points.

Some people also do M3 sway bars... either front only or front and rear. I did not do this since I have pretty stiff coilovers (8k/16k) and it feels good without them. But your mileage may vary.

Also if you do start to replace any control arm bushings, I would read this thread first: https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1615006
There are a lot of places you can install spherical bearings instead of rubber bushings. Way better than rubber and none of the possible downsides of poly like squeaks.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2023, 06:37 AM   #3
Dieselboy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '09 135i

^ what he said, there is a lot of flex in the stock RSFB.

Name:  20210410_161528.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  259.0 KB

Instagram: ///TheAxisGarage

If you ride like lightning, you're gonna crash like thunder.

Last edited by Dieselboy; 01-17-2023 at 11:08 AM..
Appreciate 2
      01-21-2023, 02:03 PM   #4
iliketurns
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wootloops View Post
Hey fellow S. Floridian!

I also have a 128 that I have built for fun and track. (I am actually going to be tracking it at homestead-miami speedway on 2/25)

My car was bone stock, non-sport package suspension when I got it. It felt like driving around a brick of jello. I've done a ton of suspension mods and now it feels tighter than my E92 M3. My build thread is here with a full list, but here are some items I would look into first:
  • M3 Front Lower Control Arms
  • Solid/delrin rear subframe bushings (does not add any noticeable NVH)
  • Monoball front upper control arm bushings (aka Tension Strut) - I like the ones from German Auto Solutions

I would do the above before you replace the bilstein coilovers. You might end up liking them more once you tighten up the other weak points.

Some people also do M3 sway bars... either front only or front and rear. I did not do this since I have pretty stiff coilovers (8k/16k) and it feels good without them. But your mileage may vary.

Also if you do start to replace any control arm bushings, I would read this thread first: https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1615006
There are a lot of places you can install spherical bearings instead of rubber bushings. Way better than rubber and none of the possible downsides of poly like squeaks.
Sweet! Thanks for the suggestions. I was looking at the turner kit with the monoball upper and M3 lower front control arms. Sounds like that's the way to go. Yeah the Bilsteins actually feel pretty well tuned albeit I have just street driven the car so far. I might stick with them for a while and see what a suspension arm refresh will do. My toe arms/bushings are toast too. I can feel rear end steer itself a bit when you jump on the gas in first or second. Oh the joys of a high mileage car!

Also, who's hosting the track day? Would love to join if I can get some decent brakes and tires on the car in time
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 03:54 PM   #5
Olgeezer1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6MT Sport Pkg. 18"

Garage List
Nice looking car. What's mentioned above about covers it. The RSFB replacement is probably #1. With all the stuff you're contemplating it'd be nice to have power to both rear wheels, so...LSD.
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2023, 06:44 PM   #6
wootloops
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 Lime Rock Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurns View Post
Also, who's hosting the track day? Would love to join if I can get some decent brakes and tires on the car in time
Chin is hosting the track day on 2/25
https://chintrackdays.com/event-deta...WsVVMs5oGW0%3d

Not sure on your experience level.. Green Novice (with instructor) is sold out, so you would have to be cleared with Chin for Solo novice. That typically means you need 5+ HPDE under your belt, with at least 1-2 of them at Homestead. Or you can try to get put on the wait list in case something opens up.

If you can't get registered you could always come check it out. There will be quite a few local BMW guys.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2023, 09:57 PM   #7
iliketurns
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wootloops View Post
Chin is hosting the track day on 2/25
https://chintrackdays.com/event-deta...WsVVMs5oGW0%3d

Not sure on your experience level.. Green Novice (with instructor) is sold out, so you would have to be cleared with Chin for Solo novice. That typically means you need 5+ HPDE under your belt, with at least 1-2 of them at Homestead. Or you can try to get put on the wait list in case something opens up.

If you can't get registered you could always come check it out. There will be quite a few local BMW guys.
Cool! I'm very much in the green novice experience level with only 3 track days under my belt and none at homestead (I just moved here from South Carolina). Seems like a lot of track days and auto x's down here are sold out a couple of months in advance. I'll have to jump on it next time!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2023, 10:06 PM   #8
iliketurns
Private
Rep

And new wheels just showed up! Priorities

18x9 square ADVAN RGD2's
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2023, 10:16 PM   #9
iliketurns
Private
Rep

Oh and I almost forgot...I picked up some crusty F30 M340i brakes as well. Both front and rear calipers. Getting new blanks as the ones that they came with were a little warped. Still trying to search and figure out if I need to swap my master for proper pedal feel. Also a little iffy on brake bias changes but it seems like it isn't too big of a difference from what I've read. Can anyone chime in if you've ran this setup? Also, brake pad recommendations?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-27-2023, 09:51 AM   #10
Ab28
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3/E39 M5/128i

Quote:
Oh and I almost forgot...I picked up some crusty F30 M340i brakes as well. Both front and rear calipers. Getting new blanks as the ones that they came with were a little warped. Still trying to search and figure out if I need to swap my master for proper pedal feel. Also a little iffy on brake bias changes but it seems like it isn't too big of a difference from what I've read. Can anyone chime in if you've ran this setup? Also, brake pad recommendations?
I run F30 brakes on my 128i.

Have the 135i Master Cylinder and BMW Performance Brakes are coded into the VO (Vehicle Order)

It's a track car only but I've run DS2500, DS 1.11s, Hawk DTC 60s.

Pedal feel is fantastic and at 2750lbs I have no fade anywhere in sight with high temp fluid.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2023, 11:12 AM   #11
Ric in RVA
Bergspyder
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i Sport 6mt

Quote:
I have the f30 fronts and 340 mm rotors.

All the e82 pedals are the same size but the take up piston is bigger.

Take up pushes the pads to the rotors then the main piston takes over.

I don't feel there is any need to swap MC . Pedal travel is fine and position relative to gas is perfect for heel toe.

You are going to love these brakes...

2011 128i 6 MT Sport, 2009 Cayman 987.2, 2011 528i N52, 2018 F150 Platinum
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2023, 09:36 PM   #12
iliketurns
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab28 View Post
I run F30 brakes on my 128i.

Have the 135i Master Cylinder and BMW Performance Brakes are coded into the VO (Vehicle Order)

It's a track car only but I've run DS2500, DS 1.11s, Hawk DTC 60s.

Pedal feel is fantastic and at 2750lbs I have no fade anywhere in sight with high temp fluid.
Wow that's light! I've ran DS2500s on my last car (MK7 Golf R) and I absolutely melted them on track deep into the day. I'm pretty sure it was all weight related so maybe I will try them on this car. They were great on the street with low noise

I didn't know about the coding...I'll have to look into that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric in RVA View Post
I have the f30 fronts and 340 mm rotors.

All the e82 pedals are the same size but the take up piston is bigger.

Take up pushes the pads to the rotors then the main piston takes over.

I don't feel there is any need to swap MC . Pedal travel is fine and position relative to gas is perfect for heel toe.

You are going to love these brakes...
Interesting. Yeah going to stick with the OEM master and see how it feels. I can always swap. Excited to see what the change in braking is like! ...and also to add a little bling
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2023, 12:56 AM   #13
ResinThirteen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 135i

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Welcome to Miami! Looking forward to the build!
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2023, 07:03 PM   #14
iliketurns
Private
Rep

My new pole position showed up! This won't be getting installed immediately, but soon enough

Just went through basic maintenance on the car to get it baselined. I noticed my right side headlight is letting some water in via a small crack in the housing. Does anyone have a passenger side facelift xenon that they want to let go of by chance? Or maybe even a pair so they match? Worth a shot
Attached Images

Appreciate 0