BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-25-2022, 07:32 AM   #1
bobowar135
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' Sedona Red 135i

Is Bavarian Autosport a Reputable Brand?

In the near future I am looking to get my 1er back on the road by replacing the failed water pump and fixing the coolant leak (wherever it may be). Here in Oz we have the option of either the overpriced stealership item (if it is in stock), or cheap, chinese ebay crap. ECS Tuning is offering a kit, https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assemble...517632426kt10/, which includes a Bavarian Autosport branded water pump. Cost aside (just over AU$1000 w/postage), would this be a wise choice?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2022, 08:43 AM   #2
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Bav Auto's been around forever and I've never heard anything bad. ECS, Bimmerworld, FCP Euro, all have been good stores.

Where did you see it's a Bav Auto water pump? I'm guessing it's one of 2 manufacturers that make like ALL the pumps.

Also I've done the whole swap and kind of doubt the thermostat really has to be replaced. You might save installation time and money both by skipping it. Somethign to consider. I think that dumb t-stat was a full 50% of the overall job. The other 50% being the pump and all the little crap to get the car in the air, undertray removed, steering hoses out of the way, and so on all put together.
Appreciate 1
bobowar1353479.00
      11-25-2022, 09:15 AM   #3
blue135
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Convertible

Just fyi - a while back Bavarian closed down and ECS bought inventory & brands & customer lists (I think that is right). Don't think that should matter much. Tracer Bullet's comment about mfgrs is more relevant
Appreciate 2
      11-25-2022, 05:07 PM   #4
bobowar135
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' Sedona Red 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
Bav Auto's been around forever and I've never heard anything bad. ECS, Bimmerworld, FCP Euro, all have been good stores.

Where did you see it's a Bav Auto water pump? I'm guessing it's one of 2 manufacturers that make like ALL the pumps.

Also I've done the whole swap and kind of doubt the thermostat really has to be replaced. You might save installation time and money both by skipping it. Somethign to consider. I think that dumb t-stat was a full 50% of the overall job. The other 50% being the pump and all the little crap to get the car in the air, undertray removed, steering hoses out of the way, and so on all put together.
The part brand is listed under kit contents. I've bought from ECS before and my experience was all postive. Postage is the killer here so I've decided to buy only part that I need, the water pump. Thanks for the advice.
Appreciate 0