BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-07-2020, 05:43 PM   #45
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i LMB 6MT ZMP Slicktop

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
I really like the ZMP knob as well. Feels sort of "just right" to me, especially with the BMW Performance SSK. I'm kind of a sucker for the perforated leather, too.

But I've had my eye on the BMW Motorsport golf ball for a while now. How would you say it compares?
Love the Motorsport knob. Golf ball > ZMP > ZHP > Performance. The Performance knob didn't last a day in my car. The ZHP I gave two full weeks and off it came. The Motorsport now is staying. It's not "weighted" if you care about such things, but it feels perfect in my hand. Of course I learned to drive a stick with one of these in a slightly different 128.

Last edited by Suprgnat; 04-10-2020 at 07:55 AM..
Appreciate 1
E91WAG3N1247.50
      04-09-2020, 04:49 PM   #46
E91WAG3N
Wagon Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: E39, E91, E91

Quote:
I really like the ZMP knob as well. Feels sort of "just right" to me, especially with the BMW Performance SSK. I'm kind of a sucker for the perforated leather, too.

But I've had my eye on the BMW Motorsport golf ball for a while now. How would you say it compares?
I haven't had the golf ball on any of my cars but I've driven one that did. It's different but in a good way. I want to pick one up for a future project I have in mind.

Looks so good in any interior, especially the 320si!

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1aze View Post
This makes me want to plastidip all the trim pieces......
Ha! The actual shift surround isn't that expensive, around $60. I can't remember if I had to do the ashtray piece as well, that's about $100.

Trim, Ashtray Storage Tray - BMW (51-16-8-051-990)
Trim Shift Lever Black Mat 511608 - BMW (51-16-8-051-993)

It was one of my favorite mods on my E82. I want to do the same in my E91 but the M3 console has "cup holder" for non-iDrive cars and a small button console for the M goodies.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 06:24 PM   #47
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E91WAG3N View Post
Quote:

I haven't had the golf ball on any of my cars but I've driven one that did. It's different but in a good way. I want to pick one up for a future project I have in mind.

Looks so good in any interior, especially the 320si!

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1aze View Post
This makes me want to plastidip all the trim pieces......
Ha! The actual shift surround isn't that expensive, around $60. I can't remember if I had to do the ashtray piece as well, that's about $100.

Trim, Ashtray Storage Tray - BMW (51-16-8-051-990)
Trim Shift Lever Black Mat 511608 - BMW (51-16-8-051-993)

It was one of my favorite mods on my E82. I want to do the same in my E91 but the M3 console has "cup holder" for non-iDrive cars and a small button console for the M goodies.
Why have I never heard of this matte black trim? I thought the 1M had Alcantara-wrapped trim with orange contrast-stitching?
      04-09-2020, 06:36 PM   #48
E91WAG3N
Wagon Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: E39, E91, E91

Quote:
Why have I never heard of this matte black trim? I thought the 1M had Alcantara-wrapped trim with orange contrast-stitching?
It does have alcantara trim with the orange stitching. For whatever reason they did the dash trim and instrument binnacle but left the shift surround matte. Of course, the seats and door panels had the orange stitching as well.

I really liked the look of the shifter piece and it reduced the glare off the console. The install required the removal of the center console and armrest and took an hour or two from start to finish. I could probably do the job in 20 minutes on my second go.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 06:59 PM   #49
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprgnat View Post
Love the Motorsport knob. Golf ball > ZMP > ZHP > Performance. The Performance knob didn't last a day in my car. The ZHP I gave two full weeks and off it came. The Motorsport know is staying. It's not "weighted" if you care about such things, but it feels perfect in my hand. Of course I learned to drive a stick with one of these in a slightly different 128.
I just removed the performance knob and put the golf ball in place. What a difference; the weighting of the golf ball imo is damn near perfect and leads to a superior shift feel. My only gripe is that the rubber was turning my right palm a little black.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 08:15 PM   #50
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E91WAG3N View Post
I really liked the look of the shifter piece and it reduced the glare off the console. The install required the removal of the center console and armrest and took an hour or two from start to finish. I could probably do the job in 20 minutes on my second go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris82 View Post
I just removed the performance knob and put the golf ball in place. What a difference; the weighting of the golf ball imo is damn near perfect and leads to a superior shift feel. My only gripe is that the rubber was turning my right palm a little black.
Hmmmm...Motorsport golf ball shift knob would probably look REALLY nice with matte black 1M console trim...
      04-09-2020, 08:24 PM   #51
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
One of the things that has kept me from the golf ball shift knob in the past is that I feel like I would have to change my stock steering wheel.

I would actually love the BMW Performance steering wheel (the non-electronic version) except that my stock steering wheel is heated, which I enjoy more than is reasonable. I actually hate the look of it, with the faux brushed aluminum (or whatever) trim.

I guess with Alcantara heating wouldn't really be as big of a deal, but I hate the idea of that little button on the steering column not doing anything! Still, I'm a little tempted to pick up one of those steering wheels before they're NLA. I wouldn't mind also cleaning up the wheel with a trim piece that deletes all the multifunction buttons, if that's even possible.
      04-09-2020, 09:39 PM   #52
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
One of the things that has kept me from the golf ball shift knob in the past is that I feel like I would have to change my stock steering wheel.

I would actually love the BMW Performance steering wheel (the non-electronic version) except that my stock steering wheel is heated, which I enjoy more than is reasonable. I actually hate the look of it, with the faux brushed aluminum (or whatever) trim.

I guess with Alcantara heating wouldn't really be as big of a deal, but I hate the idea of that little button on the steering column not doing anything! Still, I'm a little tempted to pick up one of those steering wheels before they're NLA. I wouldn't mind also cleaning up the wheel with a trim piece that deletes all the multifunction buttons, if that's even possible.
The Performance wheel is worth every penny, I'd highly recommend it; everything from the look to the feel makes you feel like you're driving a different car.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 10:43 PM   #53
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

The Performance wheel is worth every penny, I'd highly recommend it; everything from the look to the feel makes you feel like you're driving a different car.
I'm beginning to see a cabin refresh! Is the steering wheel DIY'able? I swapped the wheel on my W124, but it has a method for disabling the air bag circuit (in addition to disconnecting the battery, of course).
      04-10-2020, 01:16 PM   #54
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm beginning to see a cabin refresh! Is the steering wheel DIY'able? I swapped the wheel on my W124, but it has a method for disabling the air bag circuit (in addition to disconnecting the battery, of course).
Very easy to install. This is a good video for a DIY:

Edit: disconnect your battery before messing around with the airbag!

Appreciate 2
asbrr542.00