BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-14-2020, 01:31 PM   #1
XAMI
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

Turn signal bulb going out

Sort of an explanation more than a DIY.
2008 e82 with 80k miles:
Turn signal malfunction light started coming on intermittently last fall. (Driver side)
It would go away and come back. Replaced the bulb and it did the same. Then all through winter it worked fine.
As soon as it warmed up a few weeks ago it completely stopped working.

Old bulb housing has a huge burn.

Bought a new bulb housing and put it in, still didn’t work. Cleaned the metal connecting point from inside the wheel well and that didn’t help. Used my phone to get a better look and saw the connector had a hole burnt through it. As a temporary fix, I added some metal to the connector on the bulb housing so it would make more contact where it’s supposed to. Will eventually try to add solder to plug the whole.

Just wanted to share these pictures and the issue since I couldn’t find good info when I searched.

The picture with the little tab on it shows the general position it should be in when putting the housing back in.

And when I had a ton of trouble removing the bulb housing, I used pliers to w dvd it out which worked.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0