BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-18-2014, 10:48 PM   #1255
liv_d
Registered
Rep
Drives: 09 135i convertible

The 235i grill is about 1" wider than stock . All I did was trim down the bumper to fit the new one in . I also made some custom brackets to secure the new grills in place. It took me some courage to start cutting the bumper as there is no coming back .
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 07:41 AM   #1256
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by liv_d View Post
Another picture
I applaud the effort; it looks good too except for where it meets the hood line, that is a bit off. However, upon first examination, I was not able to tell what was done, only that something was 'different' about the front. You should try gloss black grills now!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 11:52 AM   #1257
liv_d
Registered
Rep
Drives: 09 135i convertible

That is true, it's not a perfect fit but I'm happy with the result.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 06:20 PM   #1258
JuanMata
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Washed the 1 and even dressed the tires. Had to get one of the rear tires patched yesterday after an encounter with a screw and decided to give filling the tires w/ nitrogen a try. So far so good. Off on a road trip Monday. This will be the 1's first long distance drive.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 07:56 PM   #1259
Overpar56
Proud AARP member in good standing
Rep
Drives: Me nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanMata View Post
Washed the 1 and even dressed the tires. Had to get one of the rear tires patched yesterday after an encounter with a screw and decided to give filling the tires w/ nitrogen a try. So far so good. Off on a road trip Monday. This will be the 1's first long distance drive.
That is one good looking 1er.

I almost washed my car today. Rain's in the forecast for the next day or so, but it hit almost 60 today. Roads still have piles of salt around so I'll wait until Thanksgiving to give it a wash.

I did drive around with the window down to listen to the exhaust. It just seems louder with the leaves off the trees. Burble burble pop pop.

2012 135i DCT, Lemans Blue/black leather, PPK1, PE, Stoptech Sport rotors and Sport pads, unhealthy crackles and burbles and an aging demonic driver.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 08:11 PM   #1260
JuanMata
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overpar56 View Post
That is one good looking 1er.

I almost washed my car today. Rain's in the forecast for the next day or so, but it hit almost 60 today. Roads still have piles of salt around so I'll wait until Thanksgiving to give it a wash.

I did drive around with the window down to listen to the exhaust. It just seems louder with the leaves off the trees. Burble burble pop pop.
Thanks. Rain is forecast tomorrow but I always wash the 1 on Saturday. I can't help myself. I lived in Minnesota for a few years and missed being able to hand wash a car during the winter months. Fortunately, living in Georgia lends itself to a weekly car wash, lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 10:19 PM   #1261
Ed P
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Z4 Sdrive28i

Brought home a stable-mate for the 135i today. My son's (beautiful) 2011 candy red Mustang was totaled last week thanks to a red-light-runner (everyone OK, thankfully), so we've been hunting for hours a day for a week (autotrader, craigslist, dealer sites, etc.).

Found a clean, 1-owner, 25K miles 128i for just a little more than the settlement check, and he loves it. We'll wash them and post up some father-and-son pics.

... gone but never forgotten ...
2013 135i M-Sport
Mineral Gray over Oyster Boston Leather
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 11:39 PM   #1262
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanMata View Post
Had to get one of the rear tires patched yesterday after an encounter with a screw and decided to give filling the tires w/ nitrogen a try.
You might want to reconsider using a metal tire valve cap: It might seize with the aluminum TPMS tire valve.
      11-24-2014, 07:08 AM   #1263
Kontra
Private
Rep
Drives: N51 128i

84 degrees = hot
83 degrees = nothing

my life.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 08:53 PM   #1264
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed P
Brought home a stable-mate for the 135i today. My son's (beautiful) 2011 candy red Mustang was totaled last week thanks to a red-light-runner (everyone OK, thankfully), so we've been hunting for hours a day for a week (autotrader, craigslist, dealer sites, etc.).

Found a clean, 1-owner, 25K miles 128i for just a little more than the settlement check, and he loves it. We'll wash them and post up some father-and-son pics.
Awesome post!!!!!

I activated hibernation mode today
      11-24-2014, 09:14 PM   #1265
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw1racer View Post
You might want to reconsider using a metal tire valve cap: It might seize with the aluminum TPMS tire valve.
I had that happen to my winter wheels. Salt got in there and seized up my BMW caps. Took them off with a pair of pliers and a rag. Good thing I had a valve stem cleaning tool because they looked like this.

Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 09:19 PM   #1266
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Do two things over two days count? Because I had a pretty busy weekend.

On Saturday I had the car on a dyno for the first time in 6 1/2 years and 108K miles.

And on Sunday I had to fix my headlights. The left headlight had two of the four support brackets broken, and the right one had one. The video is of the drivers headlight before the repair.

Had to use the BMW repair kit, really easy to use. And only $20 for a full set of replacement brackets for both headlights! As a consequence I had to take the front bumper off, so the car looked like this for an hour.

While I had the bumper out I decided to put on some nice performance grilles. Its crazy how such a simple thing makes the front look 10x better.

Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 11:36 PM   #1267
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
I had that happen to my winter wheels. Salt got in there and seized up my BMW caps. Took them off with a pair of pliers and a rag. Good thing I had a valve stem cleaning tool because they looked like this.

Thanks for the confirmation.
      11-25-2014, 06:53 AM   #1268
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert

On Saturday I had the car on a dyno for the first time in 6 1/2 years and 108K miles.

And on Sunday I had to fix my headlights. The left headlight had two of the four support brackets broken, and the right one had one. The video is of the drivers headlight before the repair.

Had to use the BMW repair kit, really easy to use. And only $20 for a full set of replacement brackets for both headlights! As a consequence I had to take the front bumper off, so the car looked like this for an hour.

While I had the bumper out I decided to put on some nice performance grilles. Its crazy how such a simple thing makes the front look 10x better.

What did the dyno yield?
Also have you driven the car every winter for six and one half years?
Any rust?
Where are some areas to keep clean to prevent rust from forming?
      11-25-2014, 08:38 AM   #1269
631twentyeighteye
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

^^ Here's the video from the dyno day. Video doesn't show numbers but i think he made 240rwhp 250ish torque. Mustang dyno.

11-25-2014, 09:08 AM   #1270
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray_Panther View Post
What did the dyno yield?
Any rust?
The car showed 240/253 on a mustang dyno.

Yeah its been my only car for a while, it been through 5 Syracuse winters. Fortunately I had a carwash place near my apartment with an undercarriage wash.

As far rust goes, I can do a more detailed post later, but there is some minor surface rust on the front and rear subframes that could use attention. Also some of the hoseand accessory support brackets under the hood aren't made of stainless steel and rust pretty thuroughly.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 09:42 AM   #1271
gemini.m3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 xDrive comp

Have had car 3 months.. went PPK1 / BMW PE for warranty, dyno'd 292 whp -- must have moooooore!!!!

Likely will run bypass map 75% of the time and switch it to map 2 when I want to go

2015 335i (retired)
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 12:01 PM   #1272
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
What did the dyno yield?
Any rust?
The car showed 240/253 on a mustang dyno.

Yeah its been my only car for a while, it been through 5 Syracuse winters. Fortunately I had a carwash place near my apartment with an undercarriage wash.

As far rust goes, I can do a more detailed post later, but there is some minor surface rust on the front and rear subframes that could use attention. Also some of the hoseand accessory support brackets under the hood aren't made of stainless steel and rust pretty thuroughly.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.
Thanks for the info. I live next door to you and I just don't want to drive my 1er in these winters. I have seen what 14 years of winter does to my GTI and it saddens me. Another 5 years of these winters and I think my GTI might turn into swiss cheese on wheels. I dread the day when it becomes reality...
      11-25-2014, 01:00 PM   #1273
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I live next door to you and I just don't want to drive my 1er in these winters. I have seen what 14 years of winter does to my GTI and it saddens me. Another 5 years of these winters and I think my GTI might turn into swiss cheese on wheels. I dread the day when it becomes reality...
Yeah. I bought the car while in school and have used it through undergrad and grad school. Hopefully it won't be my only car for much longer. I just to actually get myself a proper job in industry. I'd rather not have it dissolve on me. My parents have a 15 year old explorer as a hauler/bad weather car, I so I know exactly what you mean about swiss cheese
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 02:05 PM   #1274
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah. I bought the car while in school and have used it through undergrad and grad school. Hopefully it won't be my only car for much longer. I just to actually get myself a proper job in industry. I'd rather not have it dissolve on me. My parents have a 15 year old explorer as a hauler/bad weather car, I so I know exactly what you mean about swiss cheese
One more question:
Do you think this car will last 15 years of our winters before rust starts showing on exterior? (Rust bubbles, paint flakes)
      11-25-2014, 03:58 PM   #1275
halfhalo
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 E88 135i

Garage List
2017 BMW F83  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post

I 99% took off my bumper this weekend to try and fix a misaligned air vent causing part of the bumper to push out on the passenger side.

For whatever reason, the clips didn't want to come undone, but managed to work around that and get my bumper looking 10x better than it was before.

That said... I have a pair of CBI bulbs arriving tomorrow that is making me seriously consider attempting to remove both the bumper and headlight units to install, because that passenger side access is a bitch. While I have one broken mount, I'm ignoring it for now.

Also got my car smogged recently, and it apparently passed with flying colors. No sniff test, just OBD, no issues.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 09:59 PM   #1276
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfhalo View Post
I 99% took off my bumper this weekend to try and fix a misaligned air vent causing part of the bumper to push out on the passenger side.

For whatever reason, the clips didn't want to come undone, but managed to work around that and get my bumper looking 10x better than it was before.

That said... I have a pair of CBI bulbs arriving tomorrow that is making me seriously consider attempting to remove both the bumper and headlight units to install, because that passenger side access is a bitch. While I have one broken mount, I'm ignoring it for now.

Also got my car smogged recently, and it apparently passed with flying colors. No sniff test, just OBD, no issues.
Its really not that hard to do. I had the headlights out in about an hour while working slowly.

Appreciate 0