BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-09-2013, 05:31 PM   #1
johnnyb84
Private
Rep
Drives: 1 series M coupe

Best wheel/tire package for the track

I track about 3-5 days a year. Car completely stock other than Super Sports that are worn out on the edges.
Looking for a nice combo, preferably square set up that I can drive 100 km to the track. I'm thinking R 888's.

Any comments guys? Keep in mind I'm pretty much a noob. Have looked at other threads, and can't find the answer.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 02:12 PM   #2
lcrain
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 m3, TT-RS

Did you really search?

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...t=track+wheels

There is one.

There is another, and there are plenty more out there discussing tires and different wheel setups.

Plenty of opinions out there. Tires are a preference really. What is your experience level? If you are a track noob, I would not recommend going straight to an R-comp as they provide TOO much grip for someone who is learning. I would recommend a tire like the Hankook RS-3 or the Dunlop Direzza Z2.

The edges (front outside edges I am assuming) wearing is indicative of camber wear, which will not be remedied without camber plates.

You need to decide if you want to do camber plates or not. If you decide not to do camber plates I would recommend apex 18x9.5et22 wheels with a 265/35 all around. If you buy camber plates you can go with 18x10et25 with 275/35, and I believe M3adjuster has fit 285s with this setup and camber plates.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 06:09 AM   #3
johnnyb84
Private
Rep
Drives: 1 series M coupe

Thanks for the reply. I did read those threads, and they helped some, but I probably should have been more specific with my question.

I have tracked about 10 days so far, and plan about 4 a year.
I'd like a tire that would last 4 or 5 days. I plan on buying a new set of Super Sport for regular use, and then driving up to the track with the track set.

I usually run in the intermediate section, and have driven solo for a few sessions.

I appreciate the camber plate advice. I will look into it.

Is the only advantage/disadvantage of a square set up the ability to rotate front and back?

How much benefit do you get by getting a wider tire vs R tires?

If I were to get a front brake duct kit, would that limit the front wheel size?

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcrain View Post
Did you really search?

There is one.

There is another, and there are plenty more out there discussing tires and different wheel setups.

Plenty of opinions out there. Tires are a preference really. What is your experience level? If you are a track noob, I would not recommend going straight to an R-comp as they provide TOO much grip for someone who is learning. I would recommend a tire like the Hankook RS-3 or the Dunlop Direzza Z2.

The edges (front outside edges I am assuming) wearing is indicative of camber wear, which will not be remedied without camber plates.

You need to decide if you want to do camber plates or not. If you decide not to do camber plates I would recommend apex 18x9.5et22 wheels with a 265/35 all around. If you buy camber plates you can go with 18x10et25 with 275/35, and I believe M3adjuster has fit 285s with this setup and camber plates.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 09:57 AM   #4
lcrain
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 m3, TT-RS

Brake ducts should not affect fitment at all.

Personally I would try to buy the set of wheels that allows for maximum tire front and rear. If you want to go square this will likely be a 275 street tire, maybe a 285 if you don't mind some minor rubbing at full lock.

Fwiw, I am using a set of 265/285 hankook rs3. Having 285 in the rear is great, but I lose the ability to rotate. It is really preference as to whether you like a square setup on this car or not. The torque the 1m produces coming out of a turn is amazing as I am sure you know. I personally wanted a wheel that allowed for huge tires in the rear to maximize traction. Some prefer the ability to rotate over max traction. It's a personal decision.

Choosing a tire is really a personal choice and what you think you are ready for. Fwiw there are rcomps with better reviews than the toyos. Check out the nitto nt01. I think you may be surprised with the grip a extreme performance tire like th rs3 will provide.

Good luck with your choice. Call apex, they make a wheel size/offset for every preference and can give you fitment advice as well. Best track wheels IMO.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 10:25 AM   #5
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
There isn't a brake duct kit available, so it's a DIY mod and you will need to account for tire size when determining where you decide to run the flexible hose.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 10:06 PM   #6
Ender_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M VO, V60 Polestar '24

personally not loving my rs3 they get too greasy very quickly. Im just about to order dunlop zII. apperently the zI also had great lasting power.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 11:37 PM   #7
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender_ View Post
personally not loving my rs3 they get too greasy very quickly. Im just about to order dunlop zII. apperently the zI also had great lasting power.
Very odd. My experience has been the opposite which is consistent with most reviews I've read. Not sure about the Z2, but I'm hoping mdorphn will soon post his review.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 05:47 PM   #8
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaddylo View Post
Very odd. My experience has been the opposite which is consistent with most reviews I've read.
I agree..

RS3s getting greasy in Canada? Perhaps they aren't warmed up yet? these tires like heat... so temps above 60 degrees are needed. They sure work fine in Texas.. even in the "winter"... which is probably close to your summer temps :

That said.. they are NOT an R tire... so if you are pushing them like an R tire (and they sure can be pushed and they normally feel GREAT in the process.. ) then suddenly you can realize you have run out of grip or talent..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 08:34 PM   #9
Ender_
Lieutenant
Rep

Well I just picked up my ZII and have a track day this Monday so I'll find out how they hold up compared to the RS3's.

I honestly don't have much to compare them to, other then my PS2's I ran on the track once. But I have heard others say the same about them being greasy.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 10:04 PM   #10
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
Quote:
Well I just picked up my ZII and have a track day this Monday so I'll find out how they hold up compared to the RS3's.

I honestly don't have much to compare them to, other then my PS2's I ran on the track once. But I have heard others say the same about them being greasy.
Very odd. I've ran my car on 120*F+ surface temps on my Z and still find them difficult to grease over beyond grip.

You're either not getting them up to temp, or over driving the crap out of them.

My RS3s keep on getting quicker as they wear in, Star Specs are usually the opposite, past half life they tend to drop off (Z1s...Z2s may be different).
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 11:37 PM   #11
Ender_
Lieutenant
Rep

Well here is my take after my first track day and the Dunlop Z2's....wow!

These are much sharper then the RS3's, provide much better feed back and grip. Sorry I never liked the RS3's, always felt like there was a lack of feed back from them and an 'unkown' feel, I just didn't know what they where going to do.

With the Z2's I knew what they where telling me and would allow for a good amount of slip before letting go.

I will say this wasn't a particularly hot track day but for now I'm very happy with this change.
Appreciate 0